Behringer 1002B

Tom Visser

'lil update... getting the parts together took me a bit longer than I expected. No biggie, I've managed to start the film using a combination of outboard preamps and some creative routing. I finally got the direct board almost built...

web.jpg?ver=13202588480001

...and here is a shot of the little bastard getting ready for work.

web.jpg?ver=13202588510001

Next task is a little bit of metal work and some open heart surgery, but that will have to wait until later as I have an afternoon / evening call up in Haleiwa today.

That is some impressive work, Tom.

How do you plan to work with the arrangement? Will you continue to use the Nagra mixer for your booms and use the modified Behringer only for radios and the like? Or will you utilize the Behringer for everything. (I think I would hesitate to use a consumer product if I had top quality Nagra stuff available to me but, perhaps, your modifications close the quality gap sufficiently.)

David

Tom -

Wonderful work on this project - and so good / great to see a Nagra 6 in action (I am still somewhat drooling to get one someday).

I have three of these little Behringers on the shelves - not one of them costing more than a hundred -

they are great sounding and have been wonderful tools that run on 9v batts

(I am more frequently using the Cooper 306 these days..... cost about 70 times more !!)

One issue we've had is in the Phantom Powering - they do not provide 48 - actually were giving about 18 to the mic inputs...

Once one of my staffers discovered this little issue, we just added Denecke PS48s to the kits.

Quick question - mine must be the "older" version - your pictures show what appears to be newer faders.

Is the phantom power situation "updated" to 48 now?

Michael Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

Tom -

Wonderful work on this project - and so good / great to see a Nagra 6 in action (I am still somewhat drooling to get one someday).

I have three of these little Behringers on the shelves - not one of them costing more than a hundred -

they are great sounding and have been wonderful tools that run on 9v batts

(I am more frequently using the Cooper 306 these days..... cost about 70 times more !!)

One issue we've had is in the Phantom Powering - they do not provide 48 - actually were giving about 18 to the mic inputs...

Once one of my staffers discovered this little issue, we just added Denecke PS48s to the kits.

Quick question - mine must be the "older" version - your pictures show what appears to be newer faders.

Is the phantom power situation "updated" to 48 now?

Michael Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

No, still 18v on battery and 24v with AC adapter.

That is some impressive work, Tom.

How do you plan to work with the arrangement? Will you continue to use the Nagra mixer for your booms and use the modified Behringer only for radios and the like? Or will you utilize the Behringer for everything. (I think I would hesitate to use a consumer product if I had top quality Nagra stuff available to me but, perhaps, your modifications close the quality gap sufficiently.)

David

Nagra will pretty much be just a recorder, provide excellent metering, and also be the best monitoring section I ever used. I will not be using the preamps in the Behringer and the line section / mixer is actually fairly decent. If I did need a board with preamps, I'd throw in some better amps in there with more / cleaner gain.

I don't see those output boards on the website but they look like some 5532 boards I used for linking Dialogic audio telephone cards ( interactive voice response systems) to satellite uplink feeds for a nationwide "talking yellow pages" engineering contract I had with GTE about 15 years ago... I still have a pile of those cards.

• 2 years later...

I'm actually using a PSC Power Station for powering duties. The unit outputs multiple voltages, including 6V and 18V, 18V is necessary to utilize the onboard DC-DC converter without further modification.

Tom, thanks for all the cool info on this topic and so many others I've come across here!

I was wondering about powering the MXB 1002 from a battery pack (not the internal 9V) for mobile use. I see your specs above that mention 12VDC is not enough to power the unit. The AC adapter says it outputs 16V @ 1.1A but does not mention if it is putting out AC voltage or DC voltage. Normally, in my experience, wall warts describe their output in VDC. Once, I have run into a wall wart that said it is putting out VAC which is why I ask here. This particular wart just says 16V ~ 1.1A The manual mentions that it requires 115VAC @ 60Hz in the USA.

I'm assuming (based on this thread) that the included AC adapter is a normal AC-DC transformer spitting out regulated VDC. This is my hope for the MXB1002. This sentence will be ripped apart in 3, 2, 1......However on the actual unit the power socket is labeled "AC power input".

Also, while I'm here asking questions is that power connector a 3 pin mini DIN or some proprietary type from Behringer? How are you getting power into the 1002 from your power source as far as connectors?

Mahalo Tom!

KC: " . Normally, in my experience, wall warts describe their output in VDC. "

not in mine...

especially for devices like this

(I have plenty of specialty and AC wall-warts)

" The AC adapter says it outputs 16V @ 1.1A but does not mention if it is putting out AC voltage or DC voltage. "

hint:  scope, or DMM or even...

" says 16V ~ 1.1A "  what is that between the V and the 1 ??

then there is: " power connector a 3 pin "

" I'm assuming (based on this thread) that ... This sentence will be ripped apart in 3, 2, 1... "

you did it yourself: " on the actual unit the power socket is labeled "AC power input". "

" is that power connector a 3 pin mini DIN or some proprietary type from Behringer? "

probably.

da kine

Edited by studiomprd

Tom, thanks for all the cool info on this topic and so many others I've come across here!

I was wondering about powering the MXB 1002 from a battery pack (not the internal 9V) for mobile use. I see your specs above that mention 12VDC is not enough to power the unit. The AC adapter says it outputs 16V @ 1.1A but does not mention if it is putting out AC voltage or DC voltage. Normally, in my experience, wall warts describe their output in VDC. Once, I have run into a wall wart that said it is putting out VAC which is why I ask here. This particular wart just says 16V ~ 1.1A The manual mentions that it requires 115VAC @ 60Hz in the USA.

I'm assuming (based on this thread) that the included AC adapter is a normal AC-DC transformer spitting out regulated VDC. This is my hope for the MXB1002. This sentence will be ripped apart in 3, 2, 1......However on the actual unit the power socket is labeled "AC power input".

Also, while I'm here asking questions is that power connector a 3 pin mini DIN or some proprietary type from Behringer? How are you getting power into the 1002 from your power source as far as connectors?

Mahalo Tom!

This is all from memory, as the mixer has been long since retired.  The AC adapter output 9VAC, which then goes into a DC regulation circuit that outputs much more standard +/-15VDC rails for audio circuitry, plus a smaller tap at 3 or 5VDC to drive LEDs, and other logic circuits.  If you are truly serious about pursuing this, I have several 12VDC to +/-16VDC through hole converter modules available that I use for powering little hobby projects like this.  The 1002B also have a dual 9V battery option, which basically just takes the center tapped 18VDC combined cells in lieu of AC supply.  I remember being quite shocked when doing noise floor tests that the mixer was quiet and clean.  The preamps are not suitable for high amounts of quiet gain, but as long as you are not depending on the preamps, this mixer performs nearly as well as any other mixer I've used.  The difference is that the knobs and sliders are cheap and the typical flat single PCB surface mount layout does not lend itself to long term serviceability - typical disposable fare.

Also... re-reading the original post, the Mini-Cooper joke, yep, now I own a CS306, hence why I'm not interested in this project anymore. I look back on this little project fondly, though.  Funny story, here's some mockups of all the mods I was going to do... of course the project would have cost me more than my CS306, but the fun you have when your dreaming and unemployed...

post-1336-0-59111700-1415047457_thumb.pn

post-1336-0-21407100-1415047459_thumb.pn

post-1336-0-43127500-1415047460_thumb.pn

Wow Tom thanks for all that info! You were really going all out on this which is what got me going but alas I'm nowhere near your skillset. It is indeed a great little mixer for its intended use. The pre-amps are suitble for loud drums and guitars in my garage with my buddies for kanakapila ;) At this point I feel it is not something I can use for production sound but great for personal use.

That said it looks like I'll just use the 9V battery option if I need to be portable. I have lithium rechargables so they should be fine for my simple needs. Maybe at some point I might try some battery eliminators or attaching 18VDC directly to the DC regulation cicuit you mentioned.

Senator, you are spot on as usual. There are wall warts for AC output for sure, hence my confusion and caution. Good to know this one puts out 9VAC despite what the label indicates. You are also right in reminding me of this little guy ~ which indicates AC. The label on the input was certainly a point of confusion and why I thought I'd make sure as I am not the most knowledgeable in electronics but I do like to play/learn. Thats said attaching probes to AC scares me a little.

Shoots!

• 1 month later...

Stopped after the mute switches... bought a Cooper CS306, which completely negated my need for a small mixer after that, so stopped tinkering with it.  The board is mostly SMD so depending on what you want to do, may not be the easiest to work with.  Because I was only tinkering with the contacts near / around the fader, was simple to modify, but doing things more electronic could be tougher for those that aren't equipped with the right (expensive) tools.

I just sold the Cooper, and am now using a control surface, but always thinking back to the analog mixer dilemma... beautiful sound, no latency, no software, but lacks the flexibility that digital control offers... starting a new thread on a "Universal Channel Strip" which I believe is one possible future in the shrinking but important high performance analog mixer demographic (not your over the shelf PA / FoH type mass market product).  I think this "Universal" concept takes away a lot of the experiences and frustrations I've had with working with cheaper gear, high end gear, mixers not designed for our line of work, and my hopes for analog staying alive and relevant, but practical and able to transform for different configurations as needed.