MovieSlate report from a user

I do love the idea of a great-looking PDF sound log that requires minimal human intervention. But at the same time, the idea of a Wi-Fi / Bluetooth connection between recorder, slate, and logging program is really seduction. Enter the info once at the recorder, and it automatically gets sent everywhere else: notes, take numbers, circled take, false starts, start timecode, the DIT station, the whole deal. That would be fantastic. Maybe MovieSlate is the beginning of this kind of era.

Marc, I completely agree with your comments about frame-accurate timecode sync not being as important as many people believe.

Regarding wireless meta-data syncing... We've been talking with Sound Devices and Zaxcom about MovieSlate getting meta data from their recorders wirelessly. Sound Devices has a wireless adapter for their 788T (only), but their current implementation requires that the iOS device connect only to the 788T, and would lose internet connection when doing so. There's no way to wirelessly connect to the Deva, although we might be able to connect to the Nomad.

MovieSlate can currently send/receive slate data and timecode with other MovieSlates via Bluetooth or (with the Timecode Sync plugin) via WiFi. In the current version, this does not include Sound Dept data. We'll be tackling that later this year with a more advanced solution that will provide the infrastructure for all departments to share data on set in real time, as well as syncing/exporting/importing to servers.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see there are File designations for the recorder your using. Will it allow for two recorders? and will the file names be recorder centric? Example, I'm using a Deva V for main recorder with file names being of the "zax..." variety, and my backup is a SD 744t, where the file names follow the "scene/take" variety. Will the software auto change the 744t file name to follow the Scene/Take input into MovieSlate? Or would I have to input that each time? I understand that the software increments file name, which is great for Zaxcom, but SD, using the Scene/take structure, this could be a cumbersome double entry. I could just change my file scheme for the SD recorders, but I find the Ass. Ediitors doing dailies prefer the scene/take info in the file.

Thanks

Michael,

There are 2 File "boxes" File1 and File 2, just as there are two Roll boxes. So you can have two sets of information. I'm sure that Cliff can have a new setting written to the "Clapper Behavior", with a choice of copying the Scene and Take data into the "Numerals" box in the Filename. They could also have a choice if you would like it to copy to File1 or File2 or both.

I have no doubt Cliff will reply on this.

There are 2 File "boxes" File1 and File 2, just as there are two Roll boxes. So you can have two sets of information. I'm sure that Cliff can have a new setting written to the "Clapper Behavior", with a choice of copying the Scene and Take data into the "Numerals" box in the Filename. They could also have a choice if you would like it to copy to File1 or File2 or both. I have no doubt Cliff will reply on this.

Richard is correct-- and I like the idea of offering an alternate naming scheme. Thanks to you both for the feature suggestion; I will put it on my TO-DO list.

OK, here are a few observations that I noticed after playing around with MovieSlate on an iPhone. Pretty easy to use even with smaller screens. Easy to get around. I really like the fact that I can input enough information in the "notes" section, and the report adjusts for it.

A few things I think could be addressed.

The file name of the Sound Report is always "Movie Slate Sound Report.html". I think that these should include the "Sound Roll" number somewhere in the title of the file. This would seem to be a hindrance for editors and organizing, requiring them to rename the "report", which could become problematic being HTML(?).

Even though I have the "Slate" field unchecked in the report setting, it always shows up in the report. Perhaps a bug, or intentional, thought it should be mentioned.

This is minor, but is there an option to not include the "Episodes" field in the header of the report, if your doing a feature, this is just a blank space. But like I said, it's minor.

"Circle Takes" needs to be easier, and perhaps I'm overlooking something, I've done it before. But I typically get "Circle Take" info well after the fact of recording. And as far as I can tell, you have the option to circle the take while in "Start the Shot" mode(recording), and after the fact in the History/Project/Shot screen. But only on a shot by shot basis, one at a time, on a different screen. A "circle mode", in the Shot section, where you can select the takes from the "Shot" screen would make this much easier. in a digital world where everything gets digested I'm not so sure this is really critical, but since the option is here, this would make it much faster to input.

So far, that is about all I can see as any issues, on my end. All in all a great tool, and am exited to use it on my next show! I'm going to test the TC with my Denecke gear tomorrow(I hope) without the TC plug-in.

The file name of the Sound Report is always "Movie Slate Sound Report.html". I think that these should include the "Sound Roll" number somewhere in the title of the file

Thanks; you are the second one to suggest this, and it is on our TO-DO list.

Even though I have the "Slate" field unchecked in the report setting, it always shows up in the report. Perhaps a bug, or intentional, thought it should be mentioned.

The fields you choose in MovieSlate Settings > Shot Log History > Report Contents only affect plain text, CSV Data, and Formatted HTML reports (as is indicated at the top of that screen). Those field choices don’t affect Sound Reports, XML, Avid, or Premiere reports.

This is minor, but is there an option to not include the "Episodes" field in the header of the report, if your doing a feature, this is just a blank space.

Good catch. We will fix that.

"Circle Takes" needs to be easier... I typically get "Circle Take" info well after the fact of recording. And as far as I can tell, you have the option to circle the take while in "Start the Shot" mode(recording), and after the fact in the History/Project/Shot screen. But only on a shot by shot basis, one at a time, on a different screen. A "circle mode", in the Shot section, where you can select the takes from the "Shot" screen would make this much easier.

You can circle takes from the History > Shots (list) screen. On an iPad, go to that screen (in landscape orientation). Double-tapping a shot in the list will toggle it’s take circle-- you’ll see a red circle drawn around the take number.

On iPhone or iPad, you can search for a batch of shots that you want circled. Then tap the Edit button, and a "Circle All" button appears at the top of the screen.

All in all a great tool, and am exited to use it on my next show!

Thanks, Michael.

Michael,

Since I've been extensively using the software, I learned by trial and error that most of your "problems" can be solved in the Settings Menu. As far as "Slate Number", I've changed some of the field names to my liking. This is done in "Field Input Styles", where you have control of all of the areas.

For "Episode" in the "Project" section all of those fields can be either checked on or off and wether data is changed via the Keyboard, Keypad or the "Snippets" - where you can even pick a specific pop-up to fill that field.

post-273-0-22390500-1317867262.jpg

One of the most useful areas in Settings is "Text Snippets" you can use the existing groups or create your own. Once you select "Snippets" and the Group that you want to use when you select a field - it's a very fast way to add, for example a Character's name to a track, or the microphone used. The type of recorder, camera, Director, D.P. Format, FSK. etc. etc -- fields that are available when you tap the "PROD" field and then select a "New Project"

Slate# - I've changed this field to Seg# - I did this in "Data Labels" where the Field name can be changed in the "Label" section.

I want it to increment as the Deva segment number each time I roll. I set this action in "Slate Behavior", "Clapper Behavior", under "When Shot Ends"

post-273-0-46252100-1317867452.jpg

Circle takes: I only do this in History. The Script Supervisor gives me the circled takes and I 'double-tap" that take to circle it. It's efficient and since it's one take at a time, more accurate and as fast or faster as doing it on paper.

Working off an iPhone is probably not as easy as an iPad with larger screen real estate to see and work with.

So carefully explore the settings and you will find a solution to 99.9% of your issues. Also the "Help" section is great on tips for settings

Jamming the TC is simple if you follow the screen prompts.

I agree that the generic "Movie Slate Sound Report.html", should be possible to do a "Save as" so you can give an appropriate title, but I've so far resorted to noting the Ep and or Folder # in the Subject line.

What ends up in your Sound Report is controlled in "Shot Log History", "Report Contents"

post-273-0-00035700-1317868083.jpg

Just play away and you'll have many "light bulb" moments, like I did.

You can circle takes from the History > Shots (list) screen. On an iPad, go to that screen (in landscape orientation). Double-tapping a shot in the list will toggle it’s take circle-- you’ll see a red circle drawn around the take number.

On iPhone or iPad, you can search for a batch of shots that you want circled. Then tap the Edit button, and a "Circle All" button appears at the top of the screen.

Thanks, Michael.

oh that stinks for now, ipad has been planned for some time now. Here's my excuse.

Love being able to flick up or down to change values. Nice and fast!

Thanks Richard, It's a fun little program to tweak. Thanks for reminding me about the Seg#, which I have in my current paper reports. With the file names showing up in the notes section, I kind of forgot I was missing a column.

Circle takes: I only do this in History. The Script Supervisor gives me the circled takes and I 'double-tap" that take to circle it. It's efficient and since it's one take at a time, more accurate and as fast or faster as doing it on paper.

Working off an iPhone is probably not as easy as an iPad with larger screen real estate to see and work with.

This must be an iPad feature not available for the iPhone. I had stabbed away, with many different combos, hoping one would work. For the iPhone, you have to go to the Shots list and select the "shot" and scroll a bit to the "Circle Take" button, then you can progress from there easily with an arrow key to the next "shot". If the Circle take button was higher, and didn't have to scroll to get to it, it would help.

This must be an iPad feature not available for the iPhone. I had stabbed away, with many different combos, hoping one would work. For the iPhone, you have to go to the Shots list and select the "shot" and scroll a bit to the "Circle Take" button, then you can progress from there easily with an arrow key to the next "shot". If the Circle take button was higher, and didn't have to scroll to get to it, it would help.
We agree with you, Michael. The next version will make it easier: from the History > Shots list, you’ll tap the Edit button, then tap on any shot in the list to toggle the take circle.

I agree that the generic "Movie Slate Sound Report.html", should be possible to do a "Save as" so you can give an appropriate title, but I've so far resorted to noting the Ep and or Folder # in the Subject line.
We’re going to change default report filenames to include Project, Episode, and Date. For Sound Reports, the filename will include sound roll (if the report is for a single roll).

Richard: thanks for posting your Settings tweaks; very helpful.

I've reported these via the web form, though it's under feature requests. Wanted to see if someone can verify, or tell me a workaround for these:

I need 12 tracks as an option, or give me the ability to add/remove number of tracks somewhere (haven't found it yet)

Let me show/hide slate fields on the slate page

Let me show/hide sound report fields on the sound report page

Give me an option to hide "tabs", or set a device to a certain "role", so when I hand the itouch to the scripty, they won't be able to muck with camera settings or change the tracks on the sound page.

A bug, on my ipad2 when I sync to clock it syncs to the hour/minute not seconds. So if you sync at 03:45:35, the clock on the device will switch to 03:46:00 at the right time, but the app will always be 35 seconds behind. Simply, the app thinks that 03:45:35=03:45:00

Another bug (ipad2), the keyboard sometimes doesn't go away when you enter production data and hit "done" with the keyboard open. This forces you to close and relaunch the app to get the keyboard to close.

I need 12 tracks as an option, or give me the ability to add/remove number of tracks somewhere
Here's a workaround: choose 16 tracks and disable the last 4. Disabled tracks never appear on Sound Reports.

Let me show/hide slate fields on the slate page
Instead, edit the field’s label. For instance, Richard renames the SLATE field to SEG.

Let me show/hide sound report fields on the sound report page
Which fields? Are you talking only on the exported Sound Report, or on the Sound Dept screen?

Give me an option to hide "tabs".
On iPhones and iPod touches, you can tap the More tab, then the Edit button, the rearrange the tabs, thus hiding some.

Give me an option to set a device to a certain "role", so when I hand the itouch to the scripty, they won't be able to muck with camera settings or change the tracks on the sound page.
In preparation for sharing data wirelessly between departments, we’ve been brainstorming this idea. No solution just yet.

A bug, on my ipad2 when I sync to clock it syncs to the hour/minute not seconds. So if you sync at 03:45:35, the clock on the device will switch to 03:46:00 at the right time, but the app will always be 35 seconds behind. Simply, the app thinks that 03:45:35 = 03:45:00
What is the full 8-digit timecode, please? What frame rate are you using?

Another bug (ipad2), the keyboard sometimes doesn't go away when you enter production data and hit "done" with the keyboard open. This forces you to close and relaunch the app to get the keyboard to close.
We’ve had this reported in beta, and have been unable to reproduce the issue. Thus, we don’t know how to fix it yet. This has only been reported on iPad with iOS 4, never with iOS 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note, I ordered up a 6 foot iPhone -> BNC cable from kvconnection. First one came in with the BNC end not crimped to the braid so the connector boot just pushed apart, and then the cable pushed out easily.

They immediately sent a replacement cable, with the same issue. I sent them back, and will just order up one from my normal cable folks.

Is it possible for movie slate to roll and cut when it sees time code starting and stopping? I started using the App on the latest film and have really enjoyed the reports.

Yes, as you discovered, you can configure this in MovieSlate's Settings > Shot Log History > Timecode Syncing > Auto-Start/End Shots.

One caveat: this feature works best when you also set "Calibrate LTC Lag" to zero-- otherwise, the app thinks the shot perpetually starts and stops. We'll fix this in an upcoming build.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, I think it may have solved one issue that I discovered on my last project. Sometimes when switching screens in the app or even just while the app is active but I'm not actually using it... The app and timecode will freeze for as much as 5 or 6 seconds, maybe as much as 10, before releasing and it's back to normal.

I had narrowed the behavior down to either the Bluetooth or wifi connections (this was the only active app) or my tethering program, MyWi re joining with my iPhone thru the Bluetooth. If I shut off the wi-fi it would still do it through BT tethering... But it also did it while linked to a house wi-fi on one location. No other programs were running at the time, verified through the jailbreak "SBsettings" app that has a program viewer. Time will tell if this is cured or not, but with all outside connectivity off, it wouldn't do it.

In other news... Using the $30 iRig guitar adapter from Best Buy, I was able to connect my 702T as the timecode master through the lemo connector... And it got the TC signal! The cable I had was a lemo-1/4" for also syncing to a Denecke slate. I don't believe that the iRig has any special powered amp or even an op-amp in it to boost the signals... But maybe it does. Either way, if you are having timecode problems from your 7-series into the MovieSlate app... Try this, it worked for me.

So from what i can understand there is no way yet that i could run cl wi fi from 788t at the same time than movie slate app? I would have to use two different ipads and manually type in info from recorder to movie slate. Having an integrated process of the two on one single device would be amazing. Hope it is going this way..

I believe there is yet no timeframe of a release date for 788t or zaxcom nomad full compatibilty right?

And finally being able to send an audio feed through the movie slate app (with minimum delay )would be an amazing feature IMHO.

Thanks!

So from what i can understand there is no way yet that i could run cl wi fi from 788t at the same time than movie slate app?
Correct. We have confirmed with Sound Devices, that this is a limitation of the way the CL-WiFi was written.

I believe there is yet no timeframe of a release date for 788t or zaxcom nomad full compatibilty right?
Correct. We’re still talking with Sound Devices. The Deva is a no-go, and the Nomad is a maybe

And finally being able to send an audio feed through the movie slate app (with minimum delay )would be an amazing feature IMHO.
We agree!

Sometimes when switching screens in the app or even just while the app is active but I'm not actually using it... The app and timecode will freeze for as much as 5 or 6 seconds, maybe as much as 10, before releasing and it's back to normal.
We have not been able to reproduce this behavior. Of course, it could also be caused by running MovieSlate on a jailbroken device (we have read that a jailbroken system is doing a lot more stuff under the hood). Sorry we can’t provide much help or expertise on jailbroken systems (our agreements with Apple prohibit us from testing or developing for jailbroken devices).

I had narrowed the behavior down to either the Bluetooth or wifi connections (this was the only active app) or my tethering program, MyWi re joining with my iPhone thru the Bluetooth. If I shut off the wi-fi it would still do it through BT tethering... But it also did it while linked to a house wi-fi on one location. No other programs were running at the time, verified through the jailbreak "SBsettings" app that has a program viewer. Time will tell if this is cured or not, but with all outside connectivity off, it wouldn't do it.
Glad you were able to narrow it down.

Using the $30 iRig guitar adapter from Best Buy, I was able to connect my 702T as the timecode master through the lemo connector... And it got the TC signal! The cable I had was a lemo-1/4" for also syncing to a Denecke slate. I don't believe that the iRig has any special powered amp or even an op-amp in it to boost the signals... But maybe it does. Either way, if you are having timecode problems from your 7-series into the MovieSlate app... Try this, it worked for me.
Good tip! Thanks, geordi.

• 2 months later...

Two quick questions...

Someone asked earlier if you could advance to the next event (or take number) without pushing the roll and cut. If I was going to use this program with no regard for timecode, could I easily create each "event" without having to pretend I am rolling and cutting? Not a big deal, but sometimes I forget about my sound report for 3 or 4 takes, and then go back to fix it. (usually if some sound problem needs attention). I guess it's easy enough to hit start and stop, and then hide the inaccurate TC so it doesn't appear in your report...

Second... Is it easy enough to bump the file over to my android phone when the day is over (not using email). I have a concern that there will be no internet available, and I would like to bump it over to my phone using bluetooth or something, and then email from my phone...

Thanks,

scott