Sound Blanket Storage

Harris K

Hey all,

I'm curious how others are transporting and storing sound blankets. I'm a vehicleless New Yorker, with no permanent storage in a vehicle, so everything in the kit has to be on wheels, so to speak. Currently, I have 10 blankets across two big rubbermaid bins, though I'm starting to think I can reduce this number to 5 or 6. The bins end up having a pretty big footprint on the truck, and in my apartment. I was mulling over the idea of a rollercase kind of thing, the upright sort since the footprint is so small and wheels would be advantageous, but it seems a bit overkill and pricey.

So, who has the gold star answer for this?

Thanks,

Harris K

An unorthodox way to get the sound blankets compressed for easier transport might be to try using a sleeping bag compression sack. These bags are usually made of strong nylon with a "lid" at one end of the bag and four compression straps. They are used to compress large, bulky sleeping bags down to nearly the size of a loaf of bread. Sound blankets aren't as compressible as sleeping bags, but you may want to pick one up and experiment with it. Compression sacks are available at most mountaineering/backpacking stores.

I never found the grip method of making a sound blanket burrito to save *that* much space, though they do store nicer. 10 blankets is going to take some space no matter what. If you carrier 5 or 6 you may be able to use one rubbermaid (with wheels?), or some sort of rolling plastic trash can. I know a few people here said they used trash cans to store and transport their rolled up runner carpets.

I usually keep 6-8 burritos in those big Ikea blue shopping bags. No wheels, but a lightweight way to store/transport something I know won't break in transit.

I've used Ski-bags on occasion for blankets. I have my blankets bolted to a small piece of wood so they are easy to hang on a stand. So I just roll them up and stuff them in that long ski bag :)

In the vans we've rented over the yeara there's almost always a small compartment right above the driver's seat that can serve well as a blanket storage

" It's Pay not Pat. "

well actually: It's pay not pat.

but: guilty.

" what this post is referring to? "

Sorry, Malcolm, but here in the USA those vacuum out storage bags are hawked on late nite TV with all those "but wait... if you call now" gimmicks specifically double the order for double the processing/shipping charges which are non-refundable under their "if you are not completely satisfied" guarantee.