788t frozen during recording

mhp

• 3 months later...

I've had the same problem. My 788T has frozen twice.

The first time I was recording in a very warm location, the second time normal conditions.

Both times the recorder emitted a soft, high pitched tone. Had to take battery out and re-boot to fix it.

Both recordings were fine up until the freeze point (luckily)

Has there been any progress or answers on this issue??

cheers

Yep. Gear sometimes behaves in an unexpected way. The more complicated the gear gets the weirder the behavior can get. Everything has a fail point; from the Nomad and 788 freezing to DATs with tension problems to Nagra blowing a drive motor to my trusty pencil breaking a lead.

If its a simple to fix as a quick reboot it's a damn sight easier to get rolling again that what used to happen with DAT or a nagra when they stopped working

A very crochety Post engineer I worked with for 20 years had a great saying, whenever we'd experience a crash with a piece of equipment: "It's a computer! Expect less!"

To me, it's a bloody miracle that the machines work as reliably as they do. My feeling has always been that the natural state for any of this stuff is to be broken. The fact that they don't crash more often is amazing.

• 2 months later...

I am a new user of the 788t with firmware updated to 2.18 two days ago. I am using it for 26 days now and recently I realized that my CF card reader light turned green only after 3 mins while the SSD hard disk takes about 40 sec. The CF card is a 16G SanDisk Extreme and formatted with the 788t. I tried it with a second card and the result was the same.

Can someone advise me about how to resolve this problem? thanks!

"I am of the opinion that there is no more important task for a digital recorder than to simply work. It must never lock up in the field. Ever."

I agree completely, but over time you will realize and understand that there will NEVER be a fully fool proof device, analog, digital, mechanical or software driven, that you will be assured will never fail in some manner. My approach has always been to choose the device or system which has proven itself to be as reliable and trouble free as possible.

"I understand that these machines are complex. I understand they are using operating systems and the software is designed by teams of engineers and that... yada yada yada."

I wouldn't be so cavalier with the "yada yada yada" part --- think of the number of years, decades even, that people have dutifully put up with catastrophic computer failures with their PCs.

"But a digital recorder above all else is supposed to RECORD."

This is why I abandoned Fostex completely, never to return to ANY of their products, when my third brand new factory fresh PD-2 consistently followed the other two, failing to go into RECORD without a re-boot.

"What am I supposed to do while recording an interview with client XX and my machine locks up... 'Sorry guys, give me just one moment while I reboot, check previous file integrity and wipe the sweat off my forehead as I press record for the second time...'"

Well, I don't know what you're supposed to do, but I can tell you what one "client" (Clint Eastwood) wanted to do to me the fourth or fifth time he said "Roll sound" and I had to say "Wait a minute . . . . . . . . . okay, now I think I can start recording"

"It is my full intent to being the transition to Zaxcom products (I know someone is going to post an article from somewhere about Zaxcom product XX doing something wrong, but as a mixer, my understanding is that the Nomad hasn't yet failed anyone in the field"

All of the Zaxcom products I have used have had incredible reliability, unprecedented in my career (and I have used everything at least once) but it would be foolish for me to assume that I will never have a failure. Regarding Nomad, I personally would assume, again, that it will be a very reliable machine based on my past experiences with Zaxcom, but its track record in the field so far is not the best indicator (far too few in use for too short a time at this point). That is not to say one must wait years before making a purchasing decision... our world and our jobs demand very clear thinking and analysis regarding the gear that we use, and a potential choice for Nomad should be presided over by all of these factors.

Come on now Jeff,

A PD-2, really..... that was pretty darn early on in the digital realm of things.... so you abandonded the Fostex products forever, never to venture there again, to use something that never crashes, never has broken switches, never freezes, never locks up, never has to go back to the factory and every other thing i have read in the last year.... products you often tout...Zaxcom products.... Your statement is comical at best Jeff.... and I think you probably know it...

For the record for the last 4 or 5 years, my PD 606 has NEVER.... REPEAT... NEVER froze, been back to the factory, had a switch break, nor did it come with a faulty one... stuttered, droped or botched files, or had ANY issues.... ANY... And that is after thousands of miles rattling around in the van from one Western state to another... In searing Arizona heat, Mexican Jungles, crazy mountain cold, on the beach and in the sandy dunes....

My PD-6 before it, the same.... years of torture, never one problem....

Before it the PD-4... years of faithful service... until the format was gone.... it worked perfectly until that time...

What can I say.... to trash an entire companies products over the problems YOU had in a very early digital Pioneer recorder, one of a few... thats just not right....

The bad news, no factory to go back to.... LOL.... But I STILL love the machine...

My SD 744T has also never farted either.... in any way, shape or form.... same torture.... same van, same heat....