Any real world comments on Rode Lav MiCon durability?

Mark LeBlanc

I have 2 rode lavs, with one senn connector, 2 lectro connectors, and one Xlr connector. I Leave the lectros connectors on, and when i do switch them, i take an extra few seconds to take my time, to make sure they are secure. You can buy a replacement/Longer cables to go with them. The extra cable may be helpful if the usage ware is a problem. I try my hardest not to swap my connectors, and just use that as a back up plan.

I like the way they sound. I know they can be a bit wider than the sankens but they have a nice tone. Id say they have some body to them. The only complain is the foam wind screen. I like the sankens metal mesh windscreen, They may fit the rode lav. But Rode has been coming out with expanded ideas with there lav's. I see they now make a violin clip, to the rode lav. So im sure they will pop out a little rode wire mess pop filter.

I think DVE sells the lavs with a choice of connector, which most stores you have to buy them separate.

Only used them on a few one-day gigs so far, so can't really say as far as long-time use goes. What I can say is that they feel quite rugged even though the connectors are tiny. Using with Senn G3's, just got an XLR connector as well. I've also got a spare cord, should probably get a spare connector or two as well, just in case.

• 1 year later...

I have similar comments to above about the sound. They lack a little high end compared to a sanken, but overall sound quite pleasant. I really like the thin cable for it's hideability, but the strain relief at the connector is poor. I have warrantied 3 cables in a year (it was a bit of a rough show though). The micon system has been problem free for me for both sennhieser and lectro. I have the xlr but haven't used it yet.

the wind screen sucks. I'm looking for an alternative right now. perhaps just bore out a cos11 pop screen a bit.

I used them for a few days but ended up returning them because the soun when hidden under clozhing is just too dull to acceptable. Build quality seemed fine though, plus you can just exchange a brokeb cable easily.

Agreed. Sound under clothing is poor. I find the micon connector to come undone too readily.

Have only used it with senn G3's and XLR. Even though i was a bit skeptical about the connections they proved to be quite solid (interviewer standing up and walking while the lav runs tethered..). Sound wise i find them quite satisfactory and, while they lack a bit of highs, they give me a well rounded tone which sounds pretty natural to my ears (and spares me some time in post). Never tried them below clothes. Also, lav comes with a very nice, rugged (and maybe waterproof?) travel case.

• 2 weeks later...

I've soldered a micon connector on to a Countryman B6. It works with almost all of the gear that I've used except some of the sony TA4F connectors. The XLR 48v adapter even works though I'm sure that is not ideal for the mic voltage. I've noticed that the only problem I encounter is that when I use the Hirose 4 female adapter for Audio Technica 1800 series the adapters stop working after about 1-2 days. The thing is I notice my Hirose 4 connectors on my AT cabled gear goes out after a few days as well. Soldering on a new connector fixes it. I think the Hirose 4 pin is just a delicate connector design. I think it's great to have the option just incase someone wants an extra lav on their G3 or Lectro in addition to my AT wireless and the XLR adapter adds a lot of value to the mix. If they made a 3 conductor version I'd try it on my COS-11d's.

• 2 months later...

More feedback since last post. I've probably got about 120 days on each of my 4 rode lavs. Still happy w sound, although they are exposed on this show. Trashed my 4th cable....strain relief at connector seems to give up. Added some heat shrink tube above the connection and seems to be holding up over last 30 days. WINDSCREEN HACK: I bored out 4 sanken windscreens to use w rode lavs. I smear a touch of snot tape to the mic head to make sure the windscreen doesn't slip off, as the o ring is no longer there in the screen. Works like a charm. Sandor, Sound Guy (664/411a's/SRb/MKH60)

I have three PinMics that use the MiniCon and after one 3 week job a friend borrowed them for one of the connectors broke. Not long after a second broke. These things have hardly been used! Un-like the lavs you can't swap out the cable, you have to get a new back plate, which is pretty expensive so I just put locking mini-jacks on.

On a realted note, I converted the MiniCon to XLR adaptors to take mini-jacks so I can use them with all my Lavs!

I have two PinMics for those special situations. They don't see much use, and most often on talking heads that don't move a lot.

Anyway, since I use them on Lectros only, I put a heat shrink tube on the connector just in case.

Don't had any trouble. Yet.

I have two PinMics for those special situations. They don't see much use, and most often on talking heads that don't move a lot.

Hi JP ! From what I read, could I come to conclusion that these mics are very sensitive to clothes rustle, I mean, more than traditional lavs?

(Hi Pierre)

The PinMics design allows to put them in plain sight, but without identifying them as *microphones* (no wire, no the usual image of a lavaliere)

Also, they can be put fast, without fear of cloth rustle.

So they are my choice when I see one of those scarchy-shirt-silk-tie-director-of-something kind of guy coming my way.

If the color of the tie or the jacket allows, which is often the case.

No fuss, no muss.

A Sanken in the tie knot is good too, but takes more time and help from the (talent).

And, to answer the question, they are not more or less sensitive to cloth rustling. Their design makes them more efficient in certain situations.

• 2 years later...

Reporting: one day on the job and down one Micon-1 Connector. I thought these were a nice design/good idea to be able to simply swap out connectors for applications but... when I was twisting off the Sennheiser connector it twisted off the connector end and snapped the tiny solder point wire. Very dangerous to happen in the field.

Have to say I may ship back my two full sets (wires, accessories, various connectors) based on this experience while recording on a plane today for a corporate CEO interview. Luckily, yes, I had another connector.

Jeff

I would say they are not durable at all.  I think I've gone through five miccon cables.  I haven't tried to warranty them. The strain relief is inadequeate between the cable itself and the connector.  I had the idea of putting heatshrink tubing around the ends for extra durability, but I gave up on my Rode lav and Miccon accessories, so I never tried it.  Countryman reinforces their strain reliefs with an extra layer, and my EMW's show no sign of breakage at the connector from use.  

Also, it's very easy to overcrank the connection between the cable and the terminator, and ruin the terminator because it's end is now snapped off. But if it's too loose, the signal degrades.  Tough to get right.  Without cranking hard, I always worried about the connector's twisting loose while on the talent.  

Rode Lav was definitely my favorite when I starting out and didn't have my own wireless yet. It make it easy to switch between XLR and Sennheisser locking 1/8th for when we did get wireless.  Then I got my own wireless and that ability became a moot point.  

Hi Marc

I purchased a pair of these Rode Lavs for use with my G-3's some 4 yaers ago.  They were a cheaper option than going witht Sanken Cos-11's (almost half the price!).  Unfortunately I started having trouble on the first  doccie style run and gun shoot where a presenter had to be mic'ed up.  Sudden cracks and breaks in sound would occur.  Absolute nightmare stuff.  I replaced the micon cable with a spare, but same story there.  It turned out to be the connection into the locking mini jack.  Just by slightly touching it -CRACKLE POP!!-

The only good thing about Rode's lapels are the 2year warranty.  I made a video to demonstrate my frustration, mailed it to the original supplier and received my cash back 2 months later.  In the field, you simply can't risk faulty equipment.  I've never had a day's problem with my COS-11's, excluding clothing rustle on difficult wardrobe..

Best

Our local supplier shipped two Micon1 replacements days after, begrudgingly. One was a jammed rotating connector on the Sennheiser end and come to think of it, the one that broke a wire on the mic-end connection also had a too-tight rotating cuff. The two replacements spin freely and I have used the wrench to make 'quite solid but not overtightened' (as per their directions). I'm a little worried, to be honest. I'm going to have to keep this in mind whether to keep the two microphones and many accessories that we just purchased not even two full work weeks ago.

Tangent / O.T.: I do like the sound of the mics. I did a side by side comparison between: Sennheiser ME2, MKE3, Rode Lav, and DPA (I think it's a 4060).