Gotham's Initial Impressions of Zaxcom Nomad

Gotham Sound

Sorry - didn't finish answering the question.

So - as I understand it, you can download the file to whatever (PC/Mac/Linux?) and transfer it to a mirror CF card. The Nomad does the rest!!!

Kindest regards,

sb

And also, will the update be PC only, like the Nomad simulator?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Jack/Simon B/Glenn.

If Zaxnet control/broadcast functions are not available at the moment, does that mean the unit ships without the necessary hardware for Zaxnet to work (ie. the Antenna and IFB module), or is it simply the case that it isn't 'hooked up' in the software yet? Also, to follow up on Tom's question above, how does the Nomad interface with the MIX-8? Is there a USB to Serial cable involved, or a new version of the MIX-8 working on USB?

Still waiting to see how it's received before/wether or not I take the plunge.

If Zaxnet control/broadcast functions are not available at the moment, does that mean the unit ships without the necessary hardware for Zaxnet to work (ie. the Antenna and IFB module), or is it simply the case that it isn't 'hooked up' in the software yet? Also, to follow up on Tom's question above, how does the Nomad interface with the MIX-8? Is there a USB to Serial cable involved, or a new version of the MIX-8 working on USB?

Yes all the hardware is in Nomad and when the features become available all that is involved is to update the software. This was one of Zaxcom's priorities, and was one of the reasons for the delivery delays. So all the features can be turned on without having to go back to the factory.

And yes Mac people will be able to download the firmware and update Nomad. I have used a Mac to update my machine.

This thread has raised some concerns about the operations of Nomad and I was PM'ed by another JW poster to clear up some Nomad functions. I thought that some other members may have the same questions so I decided to post this.

One concern was the ability to quickly pan nomad.

I've said this in the past - If you are running Nomad in what I am calling the 2 channel ENG mode - panning is quite simple and quick. This is the mode that I've been using about 98% of the time. If you are in this mode all you need to do is just hit bus key to turn on the routing matrix. The matrix on the home screen is then hi-lighted. Then with the menu knob you will be able to toggle thru L R C and Off. If you don't exit this mode two channel panning stay on and therefore always available. Is it as quick and simple as flipping an individual switch? Well the answer to this is completely subjective - but I think so. But ultimately the advantage of not having an individual hardware pan knob opened Nomad up to a much more flexible routing system when you don't need just two channel panning. So if Nomad had a knob then it wouldn't be as flexible as it is.

The other concern was the ability to quickly go into and out of record.

As for going into and out of record there are two ways you can set up Nomad. The way I have it set up, and is the factory default, is when you push and hold the TC / REC key for about 1.5 second Nomad will go into record and the same when you push hold ZNET / STOP to stop recording. So to record on Nomad it is a one finger / one button push operation.

And if you are in this mode and you tap the TC / REC button you can still get you into the TC Menu.

The other concern is the LCD screen size.

The screen, while not large, in my opinion it is sufficient. Can you see it from across the room? No. But when operating Nomad you will be within arms length of the machine and from that distance I find the size totally fine. A larger screen would have increased the size of the machine. I think Zaxcom found a happy medium. My only complaint about the screen, even though it is visible outdoors, if you are in very bright sunlight it is harder, though not impossible, to see.

Just bought my 8 track Nomad from Gotham. I'll be comparing it to my 788t extensively next week. I'll start a thread about it in the equipment section.

If anyone has anything specific they want me to address I'd be happy to do that.

Just drive it on some real jobs, both small+simple and others with lots of inputs (maybe with changes between) and tell us how you went with it. How easy is it repatch? Battery usage? Getting around the menus? Arm tracks, disarm tracks, record, playback--the stuff you do all the time.

phil p

Just bought my 8 track Nomad from Gotham. I'll be comparing it to my 788t extensively next week. I'll start a thread about it in the equipment section.

If anyone has anything specific they want me to address I'd be happy to do that.

I would be interested to hear from an independent user about the combination of screen and button use, and how that works in practice. It sounds a bit fiddly to me, especially if you are used to the straightforward button pushes of a 788. Is the screen big enough when you are running 8 tracks, and is that rec button push as odd as it sounds?

Now I know it is not fully spec'd yet, I can wait for the beta testers in the field to report back :-)

As for firmware updates, I am going to guess it's as easy as the Deva family. Jack can scold me if I'm wrong. I have done a few updates on my Fusion with a Mac. Easy. If you are really curious, there are videos on the Zaxcom site. Most are about basic Deva operation, but one is a step by step video for updating firmware. Easy as pie. http://zaxcom.com/support_instructional_videos.htm

Glenn- if you are listening, those videos are very helpful. Nomad ones would probably answer 90% of the questions on this site.

If I was itching to buy a Nomad, I don't think this delay would matter too much. I would get it for bag use, so the working features make it fully usable (except maybe the metadata issue). The lack of metadata is the biggest concern to me. So is there no way to add scene/take/note info yet, or is it only limited metadata?

I have Zaxnet on my Fusion, but have not used it yet (I have Lectro wireless). The lack of broadcasting TC would be more of an issue on my cart mounted Fusion when I get some Zaxcom IFB and want to broadcast it to camera. I am not sure how I feel about an external HDD in a bag rig. I know some people use it, but I prefer using a CF card. Not to start a fire, but compared to the jobs that hand me a 788T, there is nothing the Nomad could not do today that I have ever needed the recorder to do. Basically if I was about to start a show that required a lot of isos in a bag, I would have put down my cash already. I'm looking forward to seeing one in person at AES.

Maybe it's a weird coincidence, but when I do jobs that hand me a 788T, I have never done metadata (scene/take/note). We just jam TC. Maybe somebody else is taking notes based on TC. On those jobs I also seem to do a bit of mixing for camera (including panning), while recording iso tracks in case post needs something else. With my Fusion in a bag doing doc/reality, I enter a fair amount of metadata along the way. I still mix for camera, but I rarely need to pan L-R on the fly. On some of those jobs, I felt like my mixing for camera was really mixing for IFB and post was going to import+sync all the audio tracks. That depends on the show of course, but I have had that vibe on *some* jobs. The others definitely want us to mix for camera and only dig into the iso tracks if they really need to.

The Meta data function will be released next week.

The transport keys are controled by pressing the record stop and play keys directly, pressing a shift key is not required. If a shift is desired for protection from accidental control that can be enabled as well.

Glenn

Well, I suppose users will get used to that, but when running around with a boom, I just want to jab one big rec button quickly and resume booming. With most machines I can do it with one hand, one finger, without looking down. Pressing 2 buttons seems to require more looking down, getting the aim right, more distraction. I could be wrong, but I like simplicity and functionality. I don't think I ever had a machine where there wasn't a big red rec button. It is after all the most important function of all. However, let's hear some reports from new users. I could be making a mountainous molehill, but it makes me uneasy.

I don't think I ever had a machine where there wasn't a big red rec button. It is after all the most important function of all. However, let's hear some reports from new users. I could be making a mountainous molehill, but it makes me uneasy.

I don't think you are making a mountain out of a molehill but if you are uneasy I wouldn't wait until others report how they feel about it. You will need to get your hands on a Nomad for yourself and see if this eases your uneasiness or not. If, after using it, you are still uneasy, regardless of other recorders you have used, maybe Nomad isn't for you. At least if you approach it this way it won't be someone else's opinion that influences you.

As for firmware updates, I am going to guess it's as easy as the Deva family. Jack can scold me if I'm wrong.

Super easy - Just place the CF card with the version you want to update to in the mirror slot. Power up Nomad while holding the star key - everything after that is automatic. After Nomad updates - approximately 3 minutes just power down and you are done. It is also good, after a update to do a "return to factory defaults".

That brings me to a question: is there a way to save prefs, Jack ? There seems to be so many options so far...

I think one can do it with the Devas or Fusions, ain't it ? (not sure; my memory's blurred here but I have rememberance of a Trew article about using old low capacity mem cards for that purpose... ?)

Well, I suppose users will get used to that, but when running around with a boom, I just want to jab one big rec button quickly and resume booming. With most machines I can do it with one hand, one finger, without looking down. Pressing 2 buttons seems to require more looking down, getting the aim right, more distraction. I could be wrong, but I like simplicity and functionality. I don't think I ever had a machine where there wasn't a big red rec button. It is after all the most important function of all. However, let's hear some reports from new users. I could be making a mountainous molehill, but it makes me uneasy.

I think Gotham's original posting may have caused some confusion here.

The correct information here is YES Nomad will record with one finger on one button.

If you press and hold the record button for approximately 1.5 seconds the red record LED will illuminate and Nomad will go into record mode. I believe the two button record method was designed as a safety feature that you can set to prevent accidental recording. But you don't need to use that method if you don't want to.

That brings me to a question: is there a way to save prefs, Jack ? There seems to be so many options so far...

I think one can do it with the Devas or Fusions, ain't it ? (not sure; my memory's blurred here but I have rememberance of a Trew article about using old low capacity mem cards for that purpose... ?)

Yes Nomad has three full memory save/recall positions. So you can have three different Nomad set-ups that you can pre-program and recall when necessary. There is no need to store the memories on a card - Nomads internal memory will remember them. You can however copy the memories onto a card as well so you can set-up other nomads to the same settings.