Lightweight bags

Simon Paine

Nice first bag Max.

What's underneath the H4n, or how are you velcro'ing the H4n onto the bag? One thing I don't like about the 607 bag is it's room for an NP1 battery, but I believe this bag was made with Sony L-type or DIY batteries in mind. Looks like you have your wireless taken care of with the match of SMQV Tx, nice stuff.

Re 702/702T, Timecode isn't always used on a film set but could come very handy when needed. You could also use TC on other gigs (corporate, live webcast) where the video team needs a TC/Wordclock/AES for sync to their system. Lots of projects would get by with only 2 tracks. When the numbers start to climb per request by post or producer, it could swing wildly from 4 all the way up to 12 tracks w/ add'l mixes involved, the unknown territory. Two tracks would always work. If you don't need TC then there are lots more options out there that does 2-track. Once you start including SFX recording, you probably end up back with the SoundDevices stuff anyhow.

^Boomboom said it very clearly about 12 mics onto 2 tracks. A few weeks ago, I had to mix about 7 lavs down to L-track and 3 booms onto R-track of my 702T. Simple, yet effective without the need to bring out a larger recorder. Rings true when post production doesn't have enough time to even sit through all the stuff or who are somewhat "green" in the post field to deal with that many ISO+Mix tracks.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I admit, "It's subjective", but why so many H4n's when the Tascam really seems better suited for production sound work (the H4N more suited to musicians)...

for example: http://www.bswusa.com/Portable-Digital-Recorders-Tascam-DR-40-Handheld-4-Track-Recorder-P7747.aspx

no blindfold, and I don't smoke... ready, ... aim, ...

Edited by studiomprd

OK, I admit, "It's subjective", but why so many H4n's when the Tascam really seems better suited for production sound work (the H4N more suited to musicians)...

no blindfold, and I don't smoke... ready, ... aim, ...

eh, i'd probably go for the tascam if i did it over again, but they're both just bit-buckets in this case. what's your opinion on the 702t there senator?

i would like to go the 744t route in the future, but as of now i'm wondering if the 702t would be worth it over the plain ol' 702.

If you do a lot of 5D jobs, TC probably doesn't matter so much. If you are recording on a real moving picture camera with TC, post might want it jammed. I have no idea what the $ difference is between the two, but it might be worth the investment. That 702T will be a very usable recorder for a VERY long time due to CF cards (as opposed to DVD-Ram discs).

Depending on where your career is headed, a 702T can easily have a place on a cart to record 2 track. Either as a backup, or if you are shooting on actual film that can be handed off for dailies and your iso recordings can be saved for post to digest as needed (from some future multi-track setup).

If you want to do things incrementally:

2x 702 cost $300 less than 1x 744T

1x702 +1x702T costs $300 more than a 744T.

The advantage of 2 x702s is you have 4x mic preamps and a fully redundant system in case of failure.

The two recorders can be sync'd to start together and to use the same sample clock.

true but at the same time, the price of a 302 + 702t is the same as a Nomad 4.

Buying new would guarantee you that the price would be close to a Nomad 4. You'll save a lot more from buying used. The Nomad 4 has a lot of advantages over the 302/702T combo with one being having access to multiple sources/inputs and only selecting what you want to record. I've encountered numerous situations where I only need a 4-track recorder with the capability of a 12-16 input mixer, the Nomad is hitting it, almost.

The types of jobs and gigs you do certainly dictates what you'll use in the field.

The advantage of 2 x702s is you have 4x mic preamps and a fully redundant system in case of failure.

The two recorders can be sync'd to start together and to use the same sample clock.

If you wire up a 702 with a 702T does the combination sync to time code or is the time code only recorded on the 702T's tracks?

At the expense of operational ease, weight and bulk. Maybe not a deal breaker though.

Only the 702T files will have timecode.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

If anyone is thinking of buying a Tascam DR-40 this week you can get 15% off (for a total of $169.99) at www.musiciansfriend.com by using the coupon code FREEDOM15 during their Memorial Day Sale. No sales tax, free shipping.

Well here's my first bag build. Waiting on a Hawk-Woods DV-SQN4s battery system for it.

I used velcro to keep the H4n in place. Not sure if this placement is a great idea or a terrible one yet. I considered the H4n remote, but I'm trying this out so I can keep an eye on the meters.

I'm considering a 702 or 702T. But how many gigs are out there that need timecode and only 2 recorded tracks?

img0366zz.jpg

Can't be worse than what I did. I just put it down face-first into the accessory slot :P

IMG_1612-1000x619.jpg

Client I'm gonna shoot for next week wanted to record on his own Edirol R-44, So I made him a bag around it:

- Petrol 607 With harness

- 3 x Micron Wireless

- Sennheiser G3 SK 500 Tx for scratch track on camera

- Hawk Woods DV power distribution

- All Tx and lavs + Spare 9 volts in front pouch.

Very light setup indeed!

IMG_1612-1000x619.jpg

Client I'm gonna shoot for next week wanted to record on his own Edirol R-44, So I made him a bag around it:

- Petrol 607 With harness

- 3 x Micron Wireless

- Sennheiser G3 SK 500 Tx for scratch track on camera

- Hawk Woods DV power distribution

- All Tx and lavs + Spare 9 volts in front pouch.

Very light setup indeed!

Nice bag Vincent! welcome to the user-group! What are you going to use this bag for?

;-)

• 2 weeks later...