Suggestions for a duplex cable?

Rachel Cameron

Hey guys,

I've landed my first movie and I'm pretty excited. I'm now in need of a duplex cable and wanted to know what suggestions/experiences you all may have with the different available models. The PSC? The Remote Audio?

Problems? Ease of use for the boom operator? Durablity? Noise? I read up a little here and there, looking for a previous thread..but didn't see much. And I'd never try to manufacture one like Jeff did, so don't suggest that.

Rachel

Yes, boom into the input XLR port of the MM-1. Boom op sets gain and get their monitor from that with a high quality headphone amp, though only boom... no talkback or lav feed. It's VERY rare my current boom op wants a lav feed at all (possibly for cueing), so this is never an issue for me (but something to think about). The MM-1 then feeds you a line level signal over a single XLR cable. While duplex cables have worked well for decades, I like the idea of the pre-amp being closer to the shotgun mic and feeding a line level signal. You can eventually replace that output XLR with a lectro bodypack (or similar) and go wireless.

For talkback you can use a walkie talkie. The bottom of the MM-1 has a 1/4" input. We use an older Sennheiser G2 that I already have in the kit and feed it that way with a patch cable. In theory you could use a boom op duplex cable and a MM-1 if that makes sense.

With the madness of low budget films, we feel that the wireless boom setup allows him to move anywhere when a last minute shadow pops up. There are a couple of threads on here about wireless boom rigs, one is just a few weeks old. I do keep a duplex cable on the truck, but we literally have not used it since 2008.

I bought the psc snake, which works fine, but in my experience the manufacturing qc was pretty bad. The cable came with the set screw and strain relief screws loose, and I had a solder connection go bad after only one feature. I took it apart and resoldered the hirose, and lock tighted the set screw, but it was enough to get me to build my own duplex cable that has a few upgrades that I want.

I also find the psc belt clip to be very loose and poor quality, so the box isn't very secure.

I know several people who use them without complaint, but I haven't been very happy with mine.

K

If you must use a duplex cable I have found the Swiss to make the best and most durable and most immune to RF and crosstalk..

I have Duplex cables made with the predecessor to this version that have worked for decades without breaking or needing repair.

(mine have internal steel support cables in addition to the copper shielded pairs)

This is if you are making your own duplex with talkback.

This Swiss made cable is available in the US from Gotham Audio.

http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=23_details&id=37