Video assist feed via Internet?

RPSharman

Hi,

Wondering if anyone here knows (or can check with a video assist guy) about streaming a video assist feed.

It doesn't need to be better than Skype or video conference. Producers in writers' office want to be able to see costumes/hair/etc. Don't need a smooth stream all the time.

Looking for a box that'll accept NTSC composite video in (and audio too) with 3G service.

FaceTime on an iPhone/iPad maybe? The issue with using a 3G network is that most of them limit the data stream to 5 GB per month and that is really easy to reach using any sort of video signal is short order. I have been on some sets where we have streamed video on a reshoot of something for the post folks to watch but never really live.

" Looking for a box ... "

there are numerous PC (Windows and Mac) applications, as well as some specialty security systems that provide this capability. Good to know that your producers have the $$ ...

They don't. Looking for a cheap solution. Security system might work. Don't really need audio.

I thought about that, Tom. Then all I need is 3G router with sufficient data plan. Might be best solution.

...yep Robert, the advantage of using a heavily consumerized bridge such as the Slingbox is that they have really good working client viewers on Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, etc... looks really professional and is mostly stable. Some of the boxes also offer PIP or input swapping abilities. Give someone like a remote producer a little bit of control or the sense of having a bit of control, they will love it and love you (or at least hire you again to make sure they have that feature on future projects).

...yep Robert, the advantage of using a heavily consumerized bridge such as the Slingbox is that they have really good working client viewers on Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, etc... looks really professional and is mostly stable. Some of the boxes also offer PIP or input swapping abilities. Give someone like a remote producer a little bit of control or the sense of having a bit of control, they will love it and love you (or at least hire you again to make sure they have that feature on future projects).

Hopefully my suggestion will be good enough, as I plan to accept no further responsibility :-)