Rachel Cameron

Hey folks,

Some time back, I made the mistake of purchasing a pair of Lectrosonic LMa/UCR 100's. I wasn't happy with the sound, and rarely took them out.

Now, as I'm gearing up for this film, I'm wondering if I can make some kind of Comtek system out of them for my clients.

Could that work?

Rachel

Hey folks,

Some time back, I made the mistake of purchasing a pair of Lectrosonic LMa/UCR 100's. I wasn't happy with the sound, and rarely took them out.

Now, as I'm gearing up for this film, I'm wondering if I can make some kind of Comtek system with them for my clients.

Could that work?

Rachel

Sure, if they don't mind carrying around the 100s. Can you rig up a pouch or belt clip for them?

phil p

I used to own a pair of these as well, and sold them. They were the first wireless systems I bought, but even with Sanken COS11's their sound quality was unaccepatble. I ended up buying a better Lectro system, and life as been good since then.

I was hoping I could use my Series 100 in the place of Comtex, but I tried to set it up a few times and it was too much of a struggle. I ended up never using them on a set for wireless headphones. The main problem I encountered was that the transmitter interfered with my SRa receiver in my bag (which I use to receive the signal from my two SM transmitters, which I use for dialog). I tried moving the LMa to the far reaches of my bag/harness, but it still would interfere with my mics, so I just gave up on it.

Perhaps someone else on JW has better tech advice, but I ended up selling mine on eBay and buying Comtex.

I am curious why you think the LMa/UCR100 combo sounded "unacceptable". The LMa, as I understand, should produce the same audio quality as an SMa when in digital hybrid mode, and, when in 100 mode as in said combo, the same audio quality as a 201 system. The difference to SMa being its menu features and physical dimensions and in terms of power, and the difference between a UCR100 a non-digital hybrid receiver such as a 201 being that the 100 is non-diversity. Am I mistaken somewhere or are you referring to the limited reach of this non-diversity system rather than its actual audio quality?

I am curious why you think the LMa/UCR100 combo sounded "unacceptable". The LMa, as I understand, should produce the same audio quality as an SMa when in digital hybrid mode, and, when in 100 mode as in said combo, the same audio quality as a 201 system. The difference to SMa being its menu features and physical dimensions and in terms of power, and the difference between a UCR100 a non-digital hybrid receiver such as a 201 being that the 100 is non-diversity. Am I mistaken somewhere or are you referring to the limited reach of this non-diversity system rather than its actual audio quality?

Hi Christian,

It just sounded too "tinny" when I used it..which was one or two interviews in an outside run and gun set up. Not even as full sounding as my 195's. For b-roll it was fine, but I during the one or two interviews, it was doing this sort of 'pumping' thing they often describe, and I didn't know how to get around it. I paid enough for the set to expect better..but, frankly I've just put them away, got sort of bummed and admonished myself for not just getting some 4 series gear instead. I told myself that you get what you pay for.

Rachel

Rachel-

Are you using the same mics on your other Lectros? The LMa (if it's a LMa and not just an LM) is servo bias input, the 195 series is not. They require different wiring of the lavs, and that may be your sound issues. It's a tough spot to be in, but you will have to keep track of which lavs are wired which way. There is extensive documentation about this wiring on Lectrosonics.com

As for your purchase, the LMa can be put into hybrid (400) mode. If anything, you can sell the RXs and get some 401 or 411s. The LMa transmitters themselves sound great and are a great value.

Rachel-

Are you using the same mics on your other Lectros? The LMa (if it's a LMa and not just an LM) is servo bias input, the 195 series is not. They require different wiring of the lavs, and that may be your sound issues. It's a tough spot to be in, but you will have to keep track of which lavs are wired which way. There is extensive documentation about this wiring on Lectrosonics.com

As for your purchase, the LMa can be put into hybrid (400) mode. If anything, you can sell the RXs and get some 401 or 411s. The LMa transmitters themselves sound great and are a great value.

I see..yes then, that's what got me.

The first time, I put the (+bias?) heads of my 195's on the LMa's because I was getting RF interference out of my non frequency agile 195's, and I was out of tricks.

..and the other time, it was just a one person interview, and I was using the LMa/UCR 100 set to get the signal to the Varicam. I heard pumping again.

I'll re evaluate them, that was very likely the issue.

" It just sounded too "tinny" when I used it "

is the "mode" set for proper compatibility ??

They probably weren't, Mr. Senator. I read the manual and went over the settings for what I was doing..but in the end, I just threw them aside on my second trip back from the oil spill..and went out in it again for a third weeklong tour, never returning to the problem, and wondering what I should do. I guess (once I found you guys) posting here is what I did, because I don't have a camera handy to plug into, so I got gunshy about using them.

I'll look into the bias issue and the compatibility issue.

Huge help again.

Much thanks!

I have used an LMa/UCR100 set for five weeks on a job now and I really liked the results. I set the LMa's volume just low enough that the red light on the UCR did not flicker (as opposed to what the manual suggests) as I thought I could hear tzoo much limiting with the red flickers. Once set properly, I thought the audio quality was very clear and by far better than the G3s I also used.