Why Steve Jobs Refused a Potentially Life-Saving Surgery

Jobs was a very, very stubborn guy. Sometimes, that was a positive part of his personality; sometimes, not.

The reality is that the survival rate of pancreatic cancer is only 5%. Even if they had gotten it early, my bet is that it would've only bought him another year. You can argue that a year is worth something, but I respect any cancer victim's right to make their own decisions about their lives.

--Marc W.

It is fascinating. I am looking forward to read the book.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1451648537

Jobs was a very, very stubborn guy. Sometimes, that was a positive part of his personality; sometimes, not.

The reality is that the survival rate of pancreatic cancer is only 5%. Even if they had gotten it early, my bet is that it would've only bought him another year. You can argue that a year is worth something, but I respect any cancer victim's right to make their own decisions about their lives.

--Marc W.

Yep, and all operations are risky. Steve knew the risks and rolled the dice.

The new book will have some great stuff in it. I'm glad that Jobs had the courage to provide all the details on his fascinating life. He's as close to a rock star as I can think of, for any Fortune 500 CEO of the last fifty years.

Fascinating, difficult, exasperating, brilliant man. I know a half-dozen people who met him or had to deal with him, and a lot of what they've told me over the years appears to be confirmed in the book.

--Marc W.