Seinnheiser MKH 8060

VASI

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using one of my 8060's for sit down interviews for a few weeks. Decided to put up an 8050 just for the heck of it

one day and was shocked by how much quieter it was. 

The noise level for the 8060 is slightly higher than the 8050 (doesn't help that Sennheiser have used different scales/weightings in their specs: EIN CCIR weighting is 23dB vs 22dB).  It's a lot more sensitive, though 63mV/Pa vs 20mV/Pa.  I usually have to turn my gain down a bit when using the 8060, when going from another mic.

Might be worth getting it checked out, I find in most situations the 8060's a bit quieter than most of my other mics due to the higher sensitivity

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I did a comparison with a 416 plugged into another channel and adjusted the input gains according to the levels I was getting out of the mics from the same source (my voice) STILL found MY 8060 to have a higher and more audible noise floor than the 416 and Sennheiser Germany have now sent me a new mic which is on its way to me.. hoping the new one will be as solid as my 416! 

Yeah I did a comparison with a 416 plugged into another channel and adjusted the input gains according to the levels I was getting out of the mics from the same source (my voice) STILL found MY 8060 to have a higher and more audible noise floor than the 416 and Sennheiser Germany have now sent me a new mic which is on its way to me.. hoping the new one will be as solid as my 416! 

Good luck with that...LOL  

As solid as a 416....?  Ha.. Ha... Ha.... Ha...

Contact SennheiserPS. He will take care of you.

This is the news I have been waiting for. My 8060 is an awesome piece of gear that I rely on heavily. When it started having issues I was bummed, mainly because I would be without it for a while as it was investigated. Im very happy that someone from Sennheiser has joined this discussion. I will follow up with an email to SennheiserPS. Hopefully I will get a replacement that has no problems from the start rather than a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

jc: " I would still like a definitive statement from someone at Sennheiser letting us users know what the issue was/is with this mic and what batches/ serial numbers were/are effected. "

WHY ??

really... why ?

they got it fixed. let it go...

So that I can recommend this mic to others, or not.... Until there is some transparency about what the issues are effecting what serial numbers etc Sennheiser are gonna be losing sales on this mic.  

• 1 month later...

8060noise.mov

Anyone heard this noise on their 8060.

Fixed by swapping out to my 2nd 8060.

The problem mic has been to germany for a 'factory upgrade' due to the high noise floor issue.

This one is intermittant, so hard to problem solve.

BTW, the boom was just getting slate for that shot.

Edit; Im not sure that link is working, I just tried it on my phone and no dice, I'm not sure how to fix it. The best I can describe the noise is like an electronic squiggle...