Seinnheiser MKH 8060

VASI

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for feedback.

You have Schoeps? What model?

I don't actually own any schoeps, it's to darn expensive in Sweden... But I rent cmit 5u whenever I can. That mic is truly amazing. If I had to choose one mic to use my whole life, that would definetily be the one.

The cmc6 mk41 combo with gvc swivel is also nice.

Schoeps CMIT 5 U

Sanken CS-3e

Sennheiser MKH 416

Rode NTG3

I need to rent microphones but in my own city (Thessaloniki - Greece) we don't have any dealer to rent microphones. So based on the views and the various project that I hear.

I recorded all the interviews in this mini-doc with an MKH8060 :

(offtopic, I recorded the orchestra/pianists as well using 2 x shcoeps stereo pairs).

Be aware though, some people have been having issues with the 8000 series randomly clicking and popping. Both my 8060 and 8040 suffered from the issue and have been sent back for replacement. The 8060 started doing it after 2 months, the 8040 after 1 week. Apparently it's a manufacturing issue that only affected a certain number of mics, but still something to be aware of.

It's hard to explain. For me, a static noise would quickly fade in, followed by a loud "pop" every now and again. I was told that it was a manufacturing error with the XLR connecter (specifically, the proprietary screw-on connection used in the 8000 series). Most users don't have this issue, it's limited to a certain number of 8000 series mics.

By all means, don't take my word for this. Call up Sennheiser for confirmation.

I had the same issue with the 8060 when I first got it. But since I own 4 more mkh8000 mics I just switched the xlr part and never had the problem again.

Who told you about the manufacturing error?

Sennheiser?

It's hard to explain. For me, a static noise would quickly fade in, followed by a loud "pop" every now and again. I was told that it was a manufacturing error with the XLR connecter (specifically, the proprietary screw-on connection used in the 8000 series). Most users don't have this issue, it's limited to a certain number of 8000 series mics.

By all means, don't take my word for this. Call up Sennheiser for confirmation.

I had the same issue with the 8060 when I first got it. But since I own 4 more mkh8000 mics I just switched the xlr part and never had the problem again.

Who told you about the manufacturing error?

Sennheiser?

A few different Sennheiser USA repair reps told me on the phone during the last few weeks. I've called a few times to check-in and get an update on when I'll get the replacements, since I'm currently working on my first feature film.

" Most users don't have this issue, it's limited to a certain number of 8000 series mics. "

I just had to send in a pair of Neumann's (to Sennheiser USA) for a similar "limited" problem, which occurred in manufacturing as the factory transitioned to lead free technologies.

Interesting....a similar problem to what I described?

Both my MKH8060 and MKH8040 just arrived back. The 8060 is a brand new replacement, the 8040 is the same one I purchased as far as I can tell....which is interesting. So far they seem fine, but time will tell, since the issues I had in the first place only occurred on occasion.

I recorded all the interviews in this mini-doc with an MKH8060 :

(offtopic, I recorded the orchestra/pianists as well using 2 x shcoeps stereo pairs).

Nice piano and orchestra sound. Bravo !

Just 2 Schoeps (cardio, hypo or omni ?) ? Those we can see on the video ?

Nice piano and orchestra sound. Bravo !

Just 2 Schoeps (cardio, hypo or omni ?) ? Those we can see on the video ?

Thanks, mate. Appreciate it.

For the final (with the orchestra) the main stand you see in the video has a pair of Schoeps MK21's (sub-cardioids) on it. To the right of the piano from that same perspective (so opposite end from the player) was a pair of Schoeps MK2S's (omni's).

For the winner's encore (solo piano) the stand with the MK21's was up against the stage wall. MK2S pair was in the same place as the final.

Recorded on a Sound Devices 552/744t setup.

I certainly can't take all the credit, that mic placement was suggested to me online by a wonderful veteren classical recordist in Georgia (Rich Mays).

• 2 years later...

Hey, I know this is a 2 year old thread, but I've got a question for Jaymz:

I too have an MKH 8060 and am having similar static sound buildups (usually if I shake the boom a bit the sound goes away), but it's ruining shots and I don't have a solution for it. I will contact Sennheiser following the weekend, but was your solution to just get it exchanged for another MKH 8060 through Sennheiser? 

I can't really find any other people online easily with this issue, and am just double checking to see if that's what fixed it.

Thanks, and hopefully you see this.

Alright, that sounds promising!

I am afraid that it'll end up costing me a lot of money though, as I bought the mic in September of 2011, so that'd put it JUST out of the 2 year manufacturer's warranty... This sounds like an issue that should have resulted in a product recall as far as it sounds (considering it's a microphone and it's primary purpose is compromised by errant sounds it itself is producing), but I fear that Sennheiser support may not sympathize. 

I'll call them on Monday to hopefully sort something out, but it's really awkward/unprofessional to have to explain to someone you're doing an interview with to repeat the sentence because your mic just went all staticky for a few seconds (and there's nothing you can do to fix it).

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully it all gets worked out!