difference between 2040 RX and http://www.audioltd.com/eng/dx-receiver/

martijn scholte

i was wondering if anybody worked with both receivers?

cheers

martijn

i own a 2040 set and right now my local audio suppliers offer only

http://www.aemstore.nl/lokatie-audio/zenders/complete-sets-portable/audio-ltd-tx2020-dx2020-set-2.html

so the reciever is different wonder if besides the receiver has other differnces besides not bein able to run from battery's

I own a bunch of 2020's and 2000's and am familiar with the Envoy series and 2040's. I've also demoed the newer DX ENG units. So, it seems less fidgety than the Envoy receiver, runs a decent time on the AA cells (biggest difference from the Envoy receiver, which requires external power), sounds just fine, seems to have better range than the 2020's as a system, although the different frequencies in my side by side test certainly had some effect on the results. The units also seem pretty rugged. I'm waiting for the 2 channel version to arrive in the States, and will most likely purchase a pair of the transmitters and 2 two channel receivers.

Hope that helps more than HAT.

Best regards,

Jim

Audio Ltd made, I believe in order of manufacture.....

2020s

Envoy range (the blue ones)

2040s

EN2 range (the latest ones)

The original Envoy range were made to cover the issue of cameras that have a plug in slot for a Rx. The end of the Envoy Rx can be swapped out (the opposite end to the display and stuff) to fit Sony, or I believe Panasonic, camera Rx slots, or a different version that gives a 6 pin Lemo OP/dc IP socket. If I remember rightly, Kish told me (a long time ago) that the original Envoys were a slight compromise as compared to the 2020/2040 ranges. I believe it was to do with IP filtering, and stuff like that. In the end I think the practical effect of this is a very slight reduction in range, as compared to 2020/2040, and also not such a good performance in multi channel situations.

The new EN2 range has been deliberately designed to be a cheaper range than the flagship 2040s. That said, and bearing in mind modern design and components (5 years more recent R&D) the EN2s give 2040s a real run for their money. There is some compromise in connectors (3.5mm jacks, like Sennheiser G2/3 etc..).

The new EN2 range includes a twin channel, true diversity receiver, and also a single channel true diversity, both of which which I believe to be the smallest in the world. They are about to release a camera plug in version of the twin chabnnel true diversity, which should solve the camera hop scenario. They are also not far from finsihing a plug on Tx (butt plug stylee) to complete the EN2 range. I have bought EN2s as IEMs, though I can also use them as additinal radio mics, should I need to.... nice.

Hope that this helps,

Simon B

I can say from experience, that they sound very good indeed. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an EN2 and a 2040!! Also no key fob required, and a really scrummy oled screen.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Hello Simon,

out of curiosity: What's your typical use of the EN2 system? documentary, reality shows, feature films?

Thanks,

Diego

Email Audio Ltd directly - I believe that they can crank the Txs up to 50mW, but not in the UK!!!!

Diego - I am currently using 3 x Txs, and 8 x Rx's. I use the Rx's regularly as IFBs for the grown ups. I have also used the EN2s as camera links (I am waiting for a dual RX) and as extra radio mic channels. They are good all rounders indeed.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

pas mal! Thanks for your testing VM. Given the distance of the keys to the mic was actually the same that would put the EN2 right next to Lectro and Zaxcom. I just wish the EN2 had 50 mW instead of 30...

Audio Ltd Radio equipment, the only mistake I made buying Sound Equipment.

The latest thing to break has been the Rx battery door assembly. Now two Rx's won't work on AA batteries due to the contact falling out. I managed to save one contact but the other is long lost.

I spoke to that guy at Audio a long while ago, and he didn't seem to think there was a need to make an Audio Ltd plug in receiver as they didn't want to endanger their relationship with the people who make the phantom power cable (VDB? I'm not sure).

I long for features like scanning the RF environment, belt clips that work, battery compartments that work and don't break, transmitters that can output 100mW, an on/off switch, an on/off switch on the top of the unit not the bottom, the capacity to access the features of the unit without a key fob thingy...and the list goes on

Can't wait to buy Lectrosonics gear one day.

The only good thing that the 2040 Tx's do is run for 10 hours on a single 9volt.

Now the Australian AudioLtd agent is retiring and their won't be anyone to service the gear quickly! Arrgghhhh!

You can scan on 2040's. Admittedly you need to travel back in time to the 90's, buy a Palm Pilot, then travel back to present day where you can download the AudioIR software and use it to perform scans on your receivers.

In an effort to keep me as a happy customer, the Australian Audio Ltd Representative bought me a Palm Pilot and loaded the appropriate software on to it an gave it to me the last time I had all the systems serviced and repaired. It did work and I used it a couple of times but the Palm Pilot was old and would only charge from a car 12 volt charger and the charger clip was broken and didn't charge sometimes... ect ect ect

I would like to firstly preface my two penny's worth with "I think Audio Ltd 2020/2040 range are without question the best sounding radiomics on the market today". I have been an Audio Ltd radiomic owner (6x2020's) since being freelance and a user for over a decade (since my staff days). I have taken them around the world where they have performed admirably and rarely let me down so when it came to considering which radiomics to replace my 2020's (thanks to the UK's decision to discontinue the availability of channel 69 in 2012) the 2040's were a obvious first choice.

There are many obvious benefits such as the use of the same 6-pin lemo connector (so no need to rewire all my mics or replace any input/output cables), the sonic quality is without question, power consumption is good and build quality is above average (with exception of the rx battery clip but better than found on the 2020's).

However ...

There were a number of issues that made me pause for thought. Were Audio Ltd planning to release a new 2060 model as the 2040's showing its age when compared to the competition (lack of slot in rx for use as a camera hop, no duel receiver model, no on board display, can't ramp power output above 50mW) but it was mainly the infra-red remote and lack of switches!

I spent a morning up at Audio Ltd with a recordist friend where they demonstrated the 2040's and the new en2's for us. It became clear that a 2060 model wasn't going to arrive soon - to address the features we wanted to see as well as the short comings we highlighted with the 2040's - as they concentrate on the launch of the new en2 range. I will admit that I was impressed with the new menu system found in the en2. It is easy to use (even with gloves on as is often that case when on location in the UK between Sep-Mar!) and the new oled screen is visible even in a dark studio but in my opinion didn't stand upto to the sonic quality of the 2040 or 2020 when side-by-side (which is understandable as why would they want to damage sales of their more expensive range).

The en2's sounded to me better than a Sennheiser G3 but not as good as a Lectrosonic and having used them 'in anger' on one or two shows (reality/actuality) more recently the difference is clear. The other point worth mentioning is due to the low power output (35mW) it has had a knock on effect on the range when compared to more expensive radiomics. BUT being fair to the en2, it was never designed as a replacement for the 2040 and for its price I can see it being a good choice for budding recordists or eng cameraman that needs to do his own sound.

After deliberating long and hard and testing other brands and models of radiomic, I eventually went with Lectrosonics SMDB transmitters and SR receivers (a choice I know many other UK recordists are making). Are they the perfect radiomic... no, but in my opinion best meet my requirements as a jobbing PSC recordist/mixer. They offer the flexibility of also being a camera hop, hardly weigh anything in my mixer bag (even in a Quadpack), compact in size, cost-effective, and can even be controlled via my iPhone. But the best reason is there is no infra-red controller!

I dare say I'm opening myself upto all kinds of replies but at the end of the day my recommendation is field test all the options out there and make the best decision for you and not just go for the obvious choice.

Here is link for some 'keys testing' for various wireless model (EN2, 2040, sennheiser 5000, micron)

http://vincent.sounddesigners.org/le_blog_sonore/Tests/Entrees/2011/4/4_Test_des_liaisons_HF_2eme_episode.html

The website is in french but just listen to the audio files.

The other link for a comparison between 2020, G3, zaxcom and lectro.

http://vincent.sounddesigners.org/le_blog_sonore/Tests/Entrees/2010/7/4_Tests_des_liaisons_HF.html