744T and accepted settings/methods

Rachel Cameron

" He will help me keep the logs straight, circle takes and make problem notations (for use later). "

That is typically done by the mixer.

" Shouldn't we always strive to boom something, rather than rely on lav's? "

it depends...

and sometimes the movie-makers are fighting us:

" We need a production sound expert for our feature film, which shoots November 1-15. All of the sound will be taken with lavalier microphones, so we need a pro to come out and handle all of our production sound needs. It would be great if you had your own gear, but if not, just have a game-plan to get all equipment. These will be night shoots, going very late, and five actors will be the maximum number recorded in one given time. " (Craig's List)

" Phase is Greek to me "

Even the symbol we usually use for "phase" is Greek

Edited by studiomprd

Not a big deal as long as you know what it actually means.

Yeah..it's just an abbreviation of a frame rate, right?.

And thanks guys, for letting me bug you here, answering my questions, and testing me.

I know you all have much more important things to do. I humbly appreciate the kindness.

" He will help me keep the logs straight, circle takes and make problem notations (for use later). "

I figured someone might say this, and I agree, Mr. Senator. I'll be circling takes and doing all the heavy listening. BUT! I have the luxury of the audio post guy who wants to work as my utility..so..uh..I guess it just made sense.

Another brain next to my fried one will likely help.

" Shouldn't we always strive to boom something, rather than rely on lav's? "

it depends...

and sometimes the movie-makers are fighting us:

" We need a production sound expert for our feature film, which shoots November 1-15. All of the sound will be taken with lavalier microphones, so we need a pro to come out and handle all of our production sound needs. It would be great if you had your own gear, but if not, just have a game-plan to get all equipment. These will be night shoots, going very late, and five actors will be the maximum number recorded in one given time. " (Craig's List)

" Phase is Greek to me "

Even the symbol we usually use for "phase" is Greek

Or "Φάση" in Greek.. ;D

Is the only way to set the daily record folder in Menu #41 File: Folder Options?

I've already created the project in the root folder, then I created the ten daily shooting folders..but the book is not so clear as to just how I go back and actually set it to the daily shooting folder at the outset of each day. Looks to me like I just navigate to the folder I made, in menu item 41 and set that at the beginning of each shooting day, right?

Is the only way to set the daily record folder in Menu #41 File: Folder Options?

The recorder allows you to create up to three levels of folders. By using the preset options of <Daily> and <Scene> you can have the recorder automatically create date and/or scene folders. When I power on my recorder it always asks if it should create a daily folder since I have the Mid-Level set to <Daily>. Manually creating daily folders may actually avoid some confusion in the instance that you record past midnight, because the recorder will prompt to make a new daily folder.

From the manual:

TOP-LEVEL <None>, <Add new entry>

MID-LEVEL <None>,<Add new entry>, <Daily>

BOTTOM-LEVEL <None>, <Add new entry>, <Scene>

If you only use the <Daily> option in Mid-Level, leaving the other two on <None>, the folder structure looks like this:

dailyfolders.png

If you only use the <Scene> option your folder structure looks like this:

scenefolders.png

By adding two options, like Mid-Level = <Daily> and Bottom-Level = <Scene> you can get this:

dailyandscenefolders.png

Whatever you do just be sure you understand what is happening. You should play with the options and see what they do. They are actually explained quite well in the manual under "File Management" > "Folder Actions".

Mark O.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything worked out great. They loved my sound. The boom op was good, and all I had to do was watch the meters. The 744T is awesome, with very nice resolution, and was easy to use. I mislabeled only one or two shots on the whole shoot (by not updating the scene folder in time), but we kept very straight notes, so it didn't seem to matter in the end. Thanks guys, once again.

• 9 years later...

Hi, 

I have a problem in Routing when I am recording the input 3 and 4 on track C and D. 

In the file, on my computer, I can't hear or see those tracks. And I would like to have four separate track in my file. 

Thank you! 

(Sorry for my English) 

Gem