Reefer. Any thoughts?

old school

Exactly Jay!

I should be more vague and sarcastic. It would alleviate a lot of misunderstanding. ; )

Yeah, there is a huge percentage of our prison population serving time for non-violent (marijuana-related) ...dare I use the term 'victimless' crimes. I know, I can hear the pitchfork mob assembling as I type.

The bottom line (as I see it) is that the nature of power is self-preservation, and those decision-making people in high places (pun intended) have huge budgets they have to deplete every year, lest they (or one of their relatives) wind up on the chopping block. If we can make a case for over-crowded prisons, we can make a case for building more of them, and everybody gets a nice little piece of the pie -- the politicians, the contractors, the gov't employees... what's the average salary for a prison guard these days... let's say at the state level?

Let's not forget, we'll need more cops, more judges, more litigators, more gov't-funded counseling firms and recovery programs... the financial seepage from the taxpayer into the big grinding machine and then back out into 'society' by way of all these jobs is astronomical. And it's far better (and easier) to cushion the burden by spreading it over a huge tax base of easily-traceable wage-earning, W2'd employees, than to face the free market, try and introduce new laws and taxes, and implement new regulations on this huge question mark of an industry. There are too many variables, too many unknowns.

De-criminalization without taxation will make it very hard for the fed. gov't to then come back and try to regulate or tax this newly budding industry. This is the real reason it's taking so long for any kind of real progress. Those in control have to stay in control. And, how do you regulate something that quite literally grows like a weed in just about every state in the nation?

Just a thought, but perhaps it's impossible to control because it shouldn't be... (controlled)... {"it shouldn't be controlled"... is what I'm saying here} : )

~tt

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but perhaps it's impossible to control because it shouldn't be... (controlled)... {"it shouldn't be controlled"... is what I'm saying here} : )

~tt

Just like 'Freedom of Thought'. You can't stop running water in all of its forms. Also double t, I think the Fed can n will jump in and tax it someday soon. They love $$$ and there is plenty to be made with all sin taxes.

CrewC

A Chicago alderman says he’s found a way for the city to raise desperately needed cash that will also keep more police officers on the street: Marijuana.

-- Washington Post 11/2, plus about 300 other references on Google News.

continuing...

“In these trying times of the economy, we could really use the revenue generated by fines versus arrests,” [Alderman] Solis said.

... unlike in other states and cities where the debate has often focused on marijuana use, the discussions in Chicago have centered almost entirely on money and wasted resources.

On the way home a few weeks ago my 16 year old son was explaining that meditation was DMT. He was calling me a hippie because I meditate. I had never heard of DMT so when we got home, I went online and did some research. I found that there was a Documentary recently released "DMT The Spirit Molecule" on Itunes, so we sat down to watch it. I enjoyed the Documentary and can say without any reservations that the experiences through the use of DMT are exactly the same as one can experience in deep meditation. Entirely profound and unforgetable experiences of mind free of the body. DMT is produced by the pineal gland. I think that pot or any natural substance is there for honest experimentation and my strict views on drugs as being bad are a bit more tempered these days.

Ramsay, I have heard others say similar things about meditation. I have never practiced a formal form of it but I am open to the idea and concept of the exercise. The Doc sounds interesting as well. I need to check it out.

I wish everyone could take a look at the big picture and want to study all these substances for what they are and how they work instead of demonizing them in a cultural war. I also wish we could end all cultural wars and work together on inventing the future. We use to do that here in the USA. We need to do it here, there, and everywhere in this world of ours IMO. We all have a part. We need to be the best players we can become. Mouth is dry. Need a beer. That's because I type with my mouth open;~)

CrewC

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd add to this thread by bringing up that there will soon be a new fine on Los Angeles beaches for throwing objects like footballs and frisbees. It just shows that our country has given up freedom for the majority in lieu of "freedom" for the uptight assholes with all the money who are bothered by the joy and happiness of others.

Our jails are overcrowded with people who are not a threat to society, including pot smokers. A two-year trade education is far less expensive than institutionalization or even a publicly defended trial in most cases. But an educated, trained, and employed population is the enemy of the same uptight assholes with all the money.

I don't smoke weed, but only because I didn't enjoy the sensation when I gave it quite a few tries back in high school. It seems a bit of reasonable legislation to legalize and tax marijuana, with no additional enforcement expense, could solve so many problems.

Robert

Very rarely partake, but whenever I do, I do something stupid like make three or four sammiches and pig out.

+1. peanut butter and oreo sandwiches!

I never get the so called munchies when I smoke pot, but I do play a lot of frisbee when I'm high. Lucky for me I live in OC and can still play frisbee legally on the beach whether I'm high or not.

CrewC

Robert,

There you go again.... The stupid "additional enforcement" is the result of brain dead Liberals in the City council, elected by the very brain dead Los Angeles voters. These laws have nothing to do with the wealthy, but the wealthy career politicians who get re-elected year after year, despite their horrible record and obscene deficits.

I couldn't give a damn about "reefer" and the laws concerning possession and use. What you and the rest of the Angelenos should be concerned about is our failing city, job and business destroying corrupt elitists city councilors, who have carte blanche with our tax dollars because no one is paying attention and demanding change, especially at election time!

In a city-wide election in March of last year only 11.59% of Los Angeles registered voters turned out. That's 1 in 10 voters. That is not a demonstration of democracy in action, that is a mark of utter laziness and a disgrace. Maybe the 88% who didn't vote were high on reefer?

http://articles.lati...ctions-20110319

Robert,

There you go again.... The stupid "additional enforcement" is the result of brain dead Liberals in the City council, elected by the very brain dead Los Angeles voters. These laws have nothing to do with the wealthy, but the wealthy career politicians who get re-elected year after year, despite their horrible record and obscene deficits.

I couldn't give a damn about "reefer" and the laws concerning possession and use. What you and the rest of the Angelenos should be concerned about is our failing city, job and business destroying corrupt elitists city councilors, who have carte blanche with our tax dollars because no one is paying attention and demanding change, especially at election time!

In a city-wide election in March of last year only 11.59% of Los Angeles registered voters turned out. That's 1 in 10 voters. That is not a demonstration of democracy in action, that is a mark of utter laziness and a disgrace. Maybe the 88% who didn't vote were high on reefer?

http://articles.lati...ctions-20110319

Fair enough.

I just think that the creation of stupid new laws, with the associated additional enforcement expense, is there to distract from the very real problems that you describe.

Robert

I thought I'd add to this thread by bringing up that there will soon be a new fine on Los Angeles beaches for throwing objects like footballs and frisbees.

This story is a bit odd in the reporting and maybe also a bit in the action by the Board of Supervisors.

As I understand it, throwing a frisbee or football on a public beach in Los Angeles County has been illegal for quite some time. I think that beach balls are OK. The thinking behind that regulation is that the L.A. beaches are often quite crowded with people and vigorous sports activity is likely to lead to accidents involving non-combatants (as it were).

Since the beaches are very sparsely populated during the off-season, the Board voted to permit frisbees, etc., in the months between Labor Day and and Memorial Day. So frisbees, beach balls, cannon balls, whatever are entirely legal from September through May and only restricted in the summer when the beaches tend to be standing room only. And beach balls are OK anytime. (They don't sail as far and are relatively soft.)

According to LA Observed, the fine for frisbee throwing in the summer season is $100. The $1000 maximum fine mentioned in many reports applies, they say, to other infractions. And, apparently frisbees and footballs are OK even in the summer with the prior approval of the lifeguard on duty. So the liklihood of being ticketed for throwing a frisbee on a half empty beach is pretty remote.

David

I thought I'd add to this thread by bringing up that there will soon be a new fine on Los Angeles beaches for throwing objects like footballs and frisbees. It just shows that our country has given up freedom for the majority in lieu of "freedom" for the uptight assholes with all the money who are bothered by the joy and happiness of others.

I saw that today on the news was stunned. All the problems we have today, and the Santa Monica city council worries about this?

$100 fine the first time the lifeguards catch you throwing a Frisbee; $200 for the second time. Granted, I don't like getting hit in the face with anything while I'm dozing on the beach (except perhaps cash or a job offer), but is this really necessary?

As to pot, I haven't touched it for decades, did inhale while in college, and don't give a crap about it today. I voted for it being legalized in California and was stunned when it failed to get enough votes. I have no problem with anybody doing it as long as they aren't raising children, operating heavy machinery, or driving. But I'm not a big fan of smoking anything, period.

• 3 weeks later...

Correction from me: it was the Los Angeles City Council that made the beach ruling, not Santa Monica. I still think they should be worrying about bigger issues than Frisbees and dogs on the beach. I would fine people if a) they hit somebody with a Frisbee, or B) the dog actually pooped on the beach or bit somebody.

I'm not a Libertarian, but part of my nature wants to resist excessive laws like this.

Back to pot: I have partaken in the past, but not for decades. I have absolutely no problem with people who want to do it, and have voted to legalize it before. I wish pot could be legally sold everywhere in California so the state could tax the crap out of it and lower property taxes and income taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

For recreational use of maryjohoochie (that's what my mailman used to call it), I see no problems. Although when used as self-medication, the scenario probably aligns somewhere within the usefulness of representing oneself in a court of law. And as you can easily seek a doctor to write you a prescription, you can also easily procure legal counsel to bow to your every desire (transl: bow to your money). That doesn't necessarily mean they're looking out for your best interest. Should you ask me if I've ever used, I'd not hesitate and have no embarrassment in telling you...

...hold on, someone's at the door...