Best way to mount a Receiver to a Sony EX3?

greg sextro

I still work with this camera pretty regularly, and now that I've added some Zaxcom hops to my arsenal, I'm trying to figure out a good way to mount the receiver. Anyone discovered any good tricks?

I have some BEC boxes w/plates for regular broadcast type cameras. And I've managed to velcro some of the G2 camera shoe plates to them - but of course, this won't work if they are using the hot shoe for anything.

-Greg-

With those small cameras I either use an aluminum hot shoe plate (I have one from K-tek that was about $35), a floppy saddlebag, or a XLR5 extension cable to a belt pouch (like a portabrace RM185). I let the camera op decide. As clunky as those options are, most shooters still prefer them to being cabled together.

FYI, the Ex3 has 2 cold shoes.

I have used the Lecteosonics shoe adapter, which works really well. But as JPG said, it makes an already awkwardly designed camera even more front heavy.

The 5-pin XLR breakaway is probably the best option (if I was the shooter, that's what I'd want.

Of course, many shooters use shoulder brackets on that particular camera, some of which have Anton-Bauer gold mounts, permitting the use of those accessory plates. That's what we're doing on the show I'm on, and the shooters are very happy. Well, as happy as they can be using a "toy" camera.

E.

FYI, the Ex3 has 2 cold shoes.

I have used the Lecteosonics shoe adapter, which works really well. But as JPG said, it makes an already awkwardly designed camera even more front heavy.

The 5-pin XLR breakaway is probably the best option (if I was the shooter, that's what I'd want.

Of course, many shooters use shoulder brackets on that particular camera, some of which have Anton-Bauer gold mounts, permitting the use of those accessory plates. That's what we're doing on the show I'm on, and the shooters are very happy. Well, as happy as they can be using a "toy" camera.

E.

A news station I work at part-time uses EX3s and they have the shoulder bracket with the gold mounts plus BEC boxes for the receivers. It helps balance out the camera since the weight is over the back of the shoulder.

thanks for the quick replies and ideas guys.

I have no idea if they'll have the shoulder brackets available tomorrow when I shoot with two of them. hopefully.

I always travel with a bunch of velcro, and can at least provide one coiled 5-pin XLR to fanny pack set-up.

I once had a shooter use an israeli arm with a little clamp on it that seemed to work fine - but it adds up to an expensive solution.

Here is repost (from an older topic dealing with the same issue) of what I did when working with the EX-3.

Last Summer we I did a three month Doc up in Alaska and Yukon. Camera was going with the EX-1's for there small size and "disposable" price point. I was worried at first, but I managed to source some gear that would work.

We got these Brackets: http://www.bracket1.com/brackets.php Which held my Audio Receiver and the Video transmiter.

And we used these battery adaptors: http://www.bhphotovi...ry_Adapter.html

It allowed us to power the Audio RX, Video TX and the camera, from the Sony camera battery. It made for a pretty compact package, and the cam ops liked it because we minimized the amount of extra batteries/weight from the other devices.

I'd say 85 percent of all production audio was recorded to the cameras, without any issues. The other 15 percent was recorded to my 788T multitrack for specific, extra large scenes.

post-55-0-33052100-1315492200.jpg

Second the velcro.

I have permanent velcro and a hole for the hot shoe adapter. Saves time.

Also camera people like the long adjustable hot shoe. the can band to the side of their choice.

sr.jpg

Industrial velcro works great. I did that with a 3 cam shoot for weeks and it keeps the cameras light. Which camera people obviously like!