Mixing Down to a 2 Track 702T

Michael Wynne

So I'm relatively new to bag / ENG recording and am looking for some workflow advice from some of you more experienced pro's. Currently I'm recording industrial applications / corp videos and typically I'll have either one lav, one boom or two lavs and one boom. I'm using a 302 that's feeding a 702t, and typically sending a boom ( ch1 ) and lav/s too ( ch2 ) in addition to feeding a back up to camera.

My question is what are the best techniques to keep the lav/s single recorded channel as isolated as possible when I'm using two lavs in a close up side by side interview style format. The last time I had this situation I had my hands tied with the boom so live mixing was a bit of a juggle not to mention it was unscripted. I am aware of phase switching and also the obvious thing of getting more isolated channels like a 744t, 788t, etc which is not an option a this point.

Just get a good level and do the best you can. Err on the side of being a bit conservative. Remember, the way NLEs and audio post work now it's not a big deal to adjust the level of each speaker of your lav mix separately, line by line, so your mix doesn't have to be perfect--just close--as long as there are no clips.

phil p

" my hands tied with the boom so live mixing was a bit of a juggle not to mention it was unscripted "

Thus the job actually required 2 people on the audio crew. You should be either mixing lav's, or booming, but not both at once!

so in that situation, you set the 2 lav's at conservative levels on one channel, and set the boom conservatively on the other, and then "boom it"....

...and the SD limiters will be your best friends!