Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my screen mod done today - and the brightness of the screen easily doubled. It looks great.

The issue of the glare on the plastic overlay is still there but the brightness does off set the glare. The glare issue can be resolved by cutting the overlay which eliminates the glare completely. If you don't want to cut the plastic - Zaxcom is looking into other options.

Soon Zaxcom will be sending out a tech notice to their dealers so they could do the mod - so there will be no need to send your Nomad back to the factory.

Jack

Any pictures you can post with the new brightness mod ?

So my nomad screen is getting more and more scratched. Any possibility in the future of doing the screen brightness upgrade and at the same time changing the plastic cover to a more rugged and less reflective surface? Or at least just changing to the same plastic surface and i could put a protector on it?

Btw a little built in sun hood could be cool and help protect the screen?

So my nomad screen is getting more and more scratched. Any possibility in the future of doing the screen brightness upgrade and at the same time changing the plastic cover to a more rugged and less reflective surface? Or at least just changing to the same plastic surface and i could put a protector on it?

Btw a little built in sun hood could be cool and help protect the screen?

I put a Zagg screen protector on mine. Its somewhat anti-glare and it covers over the scratches I was getting in my screen. It wasn't too badly scratched but I do home improvement shows and I could see it getting worse very quickly with all the dust and grit around. The anti-glare effect is minimal but at least I have a screen that I can clean off without worrying about further damaging the screen. I would be interested to see if the 3M products Fury linked to would be any better for reflection and glare. With the mod for the brighter screen and a less reflective plastic cover maybe we could actually see the metering in full sun.

I put a Zagg screen protector on mine. Its somewhat anti-glare and it covers over the scratches I was getting in my screen. It wasn't too badly scratched but I do home improvement shows and I could see it getting worse very quickly with all the dust and grit around. The anti-glare effect is minimal but at least I have a screen that I can clean off without worrying about further damaging the screen. I would be interested to see if the 3M products Fury linked to would be any better for reflection and glare. With the mod for the brighter screen and a less reflective plastic cover maybe we could actually see the metering in full sun.

Yeah i heard about the zagg screen protector. I m just a little concerned about glueig something to my nomad cover without knowing if it would be possible to replace the whole front cover eventually if it s damaged? Maybe glen or jack could answer?

Yeah i heard about the zagg screen protector. I m just a little concerned about glueig something to my nomad cover without knowing if it would be possible to replace the whole front cover eventually if it s damaged? Maybe glen or jack could answer?

Its not really glued on. Its applied to the screen like all the other devices its designed for. Just a spritz of water and a squeegee to work the bubbles out. Its easily removed and replaceable. I think that's the way all the screen protectors regardless of brand are adhered.

The faceplate/cover can be changes out if needed. Not really sure of the cost but I remember it being fairly nominal.

Thanks jack. I might do it somewhere this winter. Hope they could put something a little more scratch resistant next time around. All of that said, my nomad still amazes me everyday by what it does. I m working on a prank show that s quite elaborate in terms of routing and the fact that i can pull it all out from that one box is the best.

I don't mind the ENG panning page so much. I got pretty fast at it, same for the trim knob deal. I wish the display was better in that page...but hey. It is pretty fast.

The aspect of the routing that I dislike is there are no busses, other than R and L on the ENG screen. I would love to take the first fader, route an input to it (digital 2, analog 10, whatever) and then have all routing follow it, even zaxnet ID. Then, having a mix bus that can be routed to any output, be they mono or stereo or card track.

Being able to route a stereo bus to mono send would be routing task that has to be done manually with cross points. It makes change needlessly complicated on our end. This shows the thinking is in the function of the machine, not the user's employment of the functions. A mix minus would show an even greater understanding of how we mixers often are asked to think.

Then things are missing that I would like to see like swapping the headphones 1 and 2, delaying individual outs, grouping inputs, grouping outputs, hi shelf, lo shelf.

strangely enough people don't like the routing and want a pan knobs. IMHO the routing of the nomad is one of the best features.

I don't mind the ENG panning page so much. I got pretty fast at it, same for the trim knob deal. I wish the display was better in that page...but hey. It is pretty fast.

The aspect of the routing that I dislike is there are no busses, other than R and L on the ENG screen. I would love to take the first fader, route an input to it (digital 2, analog 10, whatever) and then have all routing follow it, even zaxnet ID. Then, having a mix bus that can be routed to any output, be they mono or stereo or card track.

Being able to route a stereo bus to mono send would be routing task that has to be done manually with cross points. It makes change needlessly complicated on our end. This shows the thinking is in the function of the machine, not the user's employment of the functions. A mix minus would show an even greater understanding of how we mixers often are asked to think.

Then things are missing that I would like to see like swapping the headphones 1 and 2, delaying individual outs, grouping inputs, grouping outputs, hi shelf, lo shelf.

I have never used the eng screen. It is easer for me to setup everything in the BUS menu...I am use to it from RME Audio Matrix which is the same design...

The faceplate/cover can be changes out if needed. Not really sure of the cost but I remember it being fairly nominal.

I *think* I was told $50, though I am guessing that was just the part. It was for the whole top plastic sheet (which includes the switches for record/stop etc). My hesitation is due to losing the sealing protection around the screen. I have not found the screen to be enough of an issue to motivate me to do this (yet?).

Now that we are just about finished with the USB storage software and are getting ready to put the automixer into beta test we will be going over the entire user interface to see where we can make things faster. Several ideas have been brought to my attention so we will be implimenting as many as possible.

The brighter screen modification will be out at the dealers Monday. It makes a nice difference in direct sun light. I do not think anyone will want to remove the current screen covering after the screen brightness is updated.

Glenn

Now that we are just about finished with the USB storage software and are getting ready to put the automixer into beta test we will be going over the entire user interface to see where we can make things faster. Several ideas have been brought to my attention so we will be implimenting as many as possible.

The brighter screen modification will be out at the dealers Monday. It makes a nice difference in direct sun light. I do not think anyone will want to remove the current screen covering after the screen brightness is updated.

Glenn

Great news. I am, and I'm sure many of us are, happy this was so swiftly taken care of. Is there a price point we can expect for the mod? Or is it dealer dependent.

We have a simple modification that doubles the screen brightness. We will do it to a few Nomads at first than release the modification to our dealers. It is very simple for the dealer to do at their shop. It takes about 15 minutes and a new version of software.

Glenn

Sweet. I'm in Jersey so it might be faster via a mothership trip(hell, sounds like a good day trip opportunity) than back to my dealer(ATS in MD)...