Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headphone circuit itself makes no noise. With no input signals you should be able to turn the headphone knob all the way up and hear nothing - no noise at all. If you are hearing noise you should check your input devices. Then, make sure you have the newest firmware, restore to factory defaults, and reboot the Nomad.

If the noise persists, HAT!

Mark

2 quick questions here:

So what s the biggest card size i could put as primary card in nomad?

Is there a way to place the nomad zaxnet antenna elsewhere without affecting range too much? I like the antenna placement on maxx much better. Either move it elsewhere when cabled or have a physical mod to put it on top maxx style? It s just a little akward fitting at the moment.

There is a solutions for the antenna placement. A Short jumper cable.///

My experience with short jumpers to remote the Zaxcom supplied antenna have been disappointing. After trying two different lengths shipped from china, and noticing a serious reduction in range (20-30%) I gave up on them immediately.

I'll share a little secret with you all regarding this tho.

post-1410-134862580502.jpg

post-1410-134862583301.jpg

Antenna for the new Ambient boxes.

5-10% reduction in range. Was maybe 12$ from Trew Audio. Thanks Tyler!

Enjoy! :)

If you are having issues with your antenna placement get a right angle SMA to SMA adapter. Its a much lower profile and and makes attaching the antenna that much easier.

Also don't cheap out like I did. First I bought some inexpensive adapters off of ebay two didn't work and one fell apart as I screwed it in. I re-bought good quality ones and all is good.

post-1067-0-58716500-1348627747_thumb.jp

from Rado Stefanov:

There is a solutions for the antenna placement. A Short jumper cable.

from FieldMixer:

My experience with short jumpers to remote the Zaxcom supplied antenna have been disappointing. After trying two different lengths shipped from china, and noticing a serious reduction in range (20-30%) I gave up on them immediately.

I don't own a Nomad and don't have certain knowledge of how the fitted antenna works in that application. However, the typical installation of an antenna on a radio transmitter is not conducive to simply extending the antenna with a length of wire.

An antenna, either transmitting or receiving, is typically made up of two components - the antenna, or aerial part, and the ground plane. With coax cable, the center wire is attached to the aerial and the shield to the ground plane. With higher gain antennas, one component is the aerial and one the ground plane. Looking at a sharkfin antenna, you'll see that there are actually two patterns in the printed circuit board, typically one on one side of the fin and one on the other. These two components, working together, make an effective antenna.

When 1/4 wavelength whips are attached to the chassis of a radio transmitter or receiver, the metal frame acts as the ground plane. So, presumably, the metal frame of the Nomad is the ground plane of the transmitting antenna. Wiring the whip to the recorder to extend it may not make as effective an antenna as connecting the whip directly. I guess the shield of the extending cable might serve as the ground plane but it's not likely to be as effective as the direct mount.

You'll have better luck with extending antennas if you use a design that is complete unto itself like a sharkfin or the Lectro SNA 600 dipole.

This whole issue of how antennas work can get very complex and is largely beyond my ken. I expect Larry Fisher, or Glenn Sanders, to jump in at any moment to correct my over-generalized response but I think the general sense of my information is correct. Of course, as Larry himself has said, in a good RF environment a rusty coathanger may be sufficient.

David

David,

Great and detailed post.

While everything you say is true in my experience the ground plane is not as critical as people think it is.

For my driving shoots I use to employ smqvs with proper coaxial antennas.

When I converted to zaxcom I could not find a ssma antenna or a converter. So being in a hurry I picked up 2 zaxcom filtered antenna cables ssma to sma. I was aware of the lack of ground plane in my design but had no other choices.I only need was to elevate the antenna for clear line of sight. I attached the trx900la whip to the end of the cable and was pleasantly surprised that the range was equal to the range when a whip is attached to the TX. When Glenn visited me on set he critiqued the setup pointing to the lack of ground plane. I am not saying it is the right way but it works.

Also my hawkings 2.4ghz range extender antenna is is pretty much the same design: an extender cable connected to the antenna without a ground plane. And it works great...

33-164-110-01.JPG

The problem with 2.4 jumper cables is the high amount of loss an improper cable will experience..

" typically made up of two components - the antenna, or aerial part, and the ground plane. "

and that is referred to as the counterpoise.

" an extender cable connected to the antenna without a ground plane. "

there is probably a counterpoise built into that external antenna

" The problem with 2.4 jumper cables is the high amount of loss an improper cable will experience.. "

The problem with 2.4 jumper cables is the high amount of loss an improper cable will experience..

BRIGHTER ZAXCOM NOMAD SCREEN UPDATE IS NOW AVAILABLE!

Your free upgrade to much brighter screen is now available at Zaxcom. The new screen will be approximately 50% brighter. Send your Nomad to Zaxcom and they will make the free mod for you. *(shipping not covered).

from Trew Audio

The biggest thing I am liking about the Nomad is that on my first big shoot with it over the last week-and-a-half, I was able to get my 220 lbs of 66 year-old self actually running down a street with my full rig on and 6 tracks recording away without any problems. And having my QRX100 camera hop return right there on the headset matrix was the icing on the cake. I actually mixed to that return throughout the gig. Very sold and good sounding. And to quickly be able to accommodate the director by sending out a different audio feed to one of the 4 cameras that had suddenly peeled off from the rest of the pack to record an OTF off in a corner...without interrupting the primary mix I was continuing to send to the other three cameras...and without moving or even touching a cable...was pretty amazing!

One question. Why Zaxcom released the Nomad with 4, 6, 8, 12 features and no why for example 8 or 12 features? Lite, 4, 6, 8, 12 confused the market.

This is the mixer/recorder. Called "Nomad". You can record 8 or 12 Tracks. Simple. Clean. Beautiful.

:)