Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

I find the Nomad fascinating. A lot of features for an "ENG" based bag mixer.

Concerning the job Jack N. was speaking of..., why not use a Mackie 1604 mixer?

It's a single system job. I doubt anyone will actually open the backup files.

Add small recorder for MP3.

Mainly because I have a Nomad and I don't own a 1604.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, compare the size and power requirements of a 1604 to Nomad...

And I'm guessing (Praying) that the Nomad sounds better than the venerable 1604. I've been rocking the Mix Wizard for such gigs, and don't want want to lug the old girl around anymore. But man do I get compliments on how great that thing sounds.

Don't have real world use yet, but my Nomad Six should be at my home by the time I get done with this trip. What brand and speed of CF card will I need to get and is there a chart of record time when recording multiple tracks? I don't have any CF cards so will have to get some right away. Any recommendations on a good fast place to get them?

Thanks,

Bernie

Don't have real world use yet, but my Nomad Six should be at my home by the time I get done with this trip. What brand and speed of CF card will I need to get and is there a chart of record time when recording multiple tracks? I don't have any CF cards so will have to get some right away. Any recommendations on a good fast place to get them?

Thanks,

Bernie

Always from legitimate dealers -- big enough that they have more to lose than to gain by selling fakes.. Word is that a huge percentage of eBay cards are bogus.

I've had some good success, with decent prices, from Amazon. Also, Newegg, and don't rule out Location Sound who is now stocking cards as you've probably read in another thread.

Thanks,

Bernie

Zaxcom recommend to me Transcend 32Gb 133X speed - don't need anything faster. Haven't had any issues using them.

Newegg.com $49.99 + free fast shipping.

Good luck with your Nomad - please report back.

I'm using sandisc 32gig cards. $126 from B&H. I don't trust Transcend cards. I've seen them fail on DSLR shooters in the field.

As for battery, I'm very happy. I've been going about 9-10 hours off of one IDX Lithium NP1. I have NOT been recording that much (just for my own interest), and have been powering my TRX900AA about 4 hours out of each of these days. I've also been poweing a Lectro UCR411 about the same amount of time.

I got 4 Transcend 32 Gig cards I use in my Fusion for the last 2 years. Haven't had an issue with them yet (Knock on wood). I swap out both the primary and backup for the other two every so often, depending on the job. Side note, they have held even during a 10 track recording (Cross fingers) on the Fusion.

I believe the reason Transcend does not work for DSLR's is due to the massive amount of data that those cameras record and the cards can't keep up. Most people use either the really expensive Sandisk or Delkins because of the write speed.

I've been looking forward to the Nomad for several months and now I'm drooling to get my hands on one. Had one pre-order but just waiting...I'm hoping that Coffey Sound (LA) will get stocked soon so I can get it from my dealer.

Rephrasing my question. Which bag do you use with Nomad? A Ps601 would be appropriate (Nomad + 4 receivers)?

I'm using a PEGZ 2 - with my Nomad, 4 411's and a Zaxcom TRX900AA hop. I keep the hop in the main compartment so I can see the LCD display and operate the record controls. I also like the extra real estate this bag gives me. The 601 should work fine - just keep in mind where the XLR ins are. So depending how you arrange your bag it may be easier or harder to get to the connectors.

I'm using a PEGZ 2 - with my Nomad, 4 411's and a Zaxcom TRX900AA hop. I keep the hop in the main compartment so I can see the LCD display and operate the record controls. I also like the extra real estate this bag gives me. The 601 should work fine - just keep in mind where the XLR ins are. So depending how you arrange your bag it may be easier or harder to get to the connectors.

Thank you for the info, Jack.

"Since the Nomad is now shipping" and available to everyone and not just the beta testers, why is feedback from new owners asked to be kept private between them and Zaxcom ?

As a probable owner, not part of the beta team, I only think it fair that there is complete transparency of any issues with machines being sold right now. I have no desire to be a developer.

I really want one of these machines, and hope we are getting the full picture on the Nomad.

Like Fox Mulder, I only seek the truth.

I believe the reason Transcend does not work for DSLR's is due to the massive amount of data that those cameras record and the cards can't keep up. Most people use either the really expensive Sandisk or Delkins because of the write speed.

You have to remember that a DSLR (shooting stills) has different card needs. They shoot a burst of a large amount of data to the card. Recording audio is a steady stream of data. The size of that stream depends on number of tracks, but even 10 tracks is nowhere near shooting HD video. The unique requirements are why RED had to make cards to handle the firehouse of data they create.

I have Transcend and Kingston 133x cards on my Fusion that always work fine for me. For some reason that I never heard an explanation of, some people with Fusions had issues with the super fast cards. I would think the requirements are similar. The ONLY reason to have a fast card as the mirror in your Nomad/Fusion is if you pop it out to download to a laptop.

"Since the Nomad is now shipping" and available to everyone and not just the beta testers, why is feedback from new owners asked to be kept private between them and Zaxcom ?

As a probable owner, not part of the beta team, I only think it fair that there is complete transparency of any issues with machines being sold right now. I have no desire to be a developer.

I really want one of these machines, and hope we are getting the full picture on the Nomad.

Hey Rick I'm not part of the Beta testers, and no one has told me about keeping my feedback private.

Where did you hear this from?

"As a probable owner, not part of the beta team, I only think it fair that there is complete transparency of any issues with machines being sold right now. I have no desire to be a developer."

"complete transparency" --- what are we talking about here. I don't see anybody keeping any secrets, certainly not in any of the posts that have shown up here on JWSOUND. If somebody is keeping any secrets, we wouldn't know about it anyway, right? Every post that I have read here regarding Nomad has been straightforward, personal experiences, from people have used the machine, and, of course, some clarification on operations and specifications from Glenn Sanders and Zaxcom. What's the problem?

It appears to be a reaction to an earlier post someone made about discussing their Nomad issues with Zaxcom prior to posting their experiences as a user.

One user's comment and personal choice does not constitute a conspiracy.

There seems to be a bit more overreaction than usual happening here lately. Perhaps it's something in the water supply.