Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

I didn't want to go overboard with praise since its my first few days with the Nomad. I'd say the headphone amp is cleaner than a 442 or even a 552. I got the six for budgetary reasons. Much of what I do has four to five people on camera at the most so I thought I'd start with six, and then if the need arises I can always upgrade. I like the machine a lot! It will be interesting to see how it evolves and that's one of things that convinced me to jump in.

Best,

Bernie

Thanks for your feedback, Bernie. Please keep the reports coming when you have time, greatly appreciate.

Regards,

DD

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use internal batteries do not use alkalines. It draws too much juice. Use lithiums or NMIH rechargeables. Do not expect very much from the internal battery life. They are intended to be used more as a back up for the external power. I think a charged set would allow you to do a hot swap of external power. I've not tried that but I believe that was the intention.

Best,

Bernie

Thanks Bernie

Does anyone know, when the IFB will be available? I got a job starting from the 23rd of Nov and I need a device by then. The question is, whether I go for a 744T or the Nomad 6. If I get one by then with IFB, the decision is clear, I go with Zaxcom. If not, I'll have to consider the Sounddevices. Thanks for any reply.

Does anyone know, when the IFB will be available? I got a job starting from the 23rd of Nov and I need a device by then. The question is, whether I go for a 744T or the Nomad 6. If I get one by then with IFB, the decision is clear, I go with Zaxcom. If not, I'll have to consider the Sounddevices. Thanks for any reply.

Not exactly sure when the IFB feature will be available - it will be soon but no guarantee that it will be in time for November 23. You can buy a Nomad and the ERX receivers, they are both available - and rent an IFB 100 until the IFB feature in Nomad is available.

If the current lack of IFB is a deal breaker for you I'm not sure why the 744 is your fall back machine - it doesn't have an IFB feature?

i'm getting the hang of mine too. so far my experience has been in parallel w bernie's. i'm impressed w the sound and overall layout but still figuring things out too.

for instance.. i like having the transport controls 'unshifted' for one-handed record/stop control, and appreciate the fact that PFL remains 'on top' while recording 'unshifted', but i cant seem to operate the >> and << transport controls when unshifted. am i missing something?

for instance.. i like having the transport controls 'unshifted' for one-handed record/stop control, and appreciate the fact that PFL remains 'on top' while recording 'unshifted', but i cant seem to operate the >> and << transport controls when unshifted. am i missing something?

Only the Record Stop and Play can be operated un-shifted. These are the controls that you would most likely need to access while you are shooting. The back and foward buttons are shifted buttons and in the un-shifted mode you will still need to press the menu button to operate.

Only the Record Stop and Play can be operated un-shifted. These are the controls that you would most likely need to access while you are shooting. The back and foward buttons are shifted buttons.

thanks jack, i guess i came to the same conclusion. i'm sure i'll figure out a way to work w this. all transport schemes aside, seems odd that there isn't a folder browser window of some sort to make it easier to double check things that have already been recorded.

Are the digital and analog output busses connected?

I've been pulling together parts to make a digital pathway from end to end, at least a AtoD at the Microphone, then a DtoA on the camera end (if needed), but everything in the middle will be digital.

Don't have the 042's yet, and still working on the AES cable, so I can't test it myself - thought I'd see if someone else has done it yet.

Did anyone collect some experience with the built in AA batteries? What is the battery life there in settings like:

- recording only

- recording with 2 phantom powered mics

- recording with phantom and fib (if that is available at the moment - dunno)

Thanks, Nevera

From what I remember on another Nomad thread, the Nomad was intended to be used with NiMH AA batteries inside. I'm *pretty*sure* the Nomad keeps those batteries topped off. I think NiMH AAs are supposed to last something like 90 minutes? As people said, it is primarily intended to allow you to swap out the external source. I would think battery life would vary depending on Which Nomad model you have, how many tracks you are rolling, effects running and probably most importantly what firmware version you are running. The differences may turn out to be negligible, but there are a lot of potential variables.

When you see the size of the Nomad, you will see why it doesn't take something like an NP1. It's really freakin small! Also, this forum is also a testament to how many people have moved away from NP1 batteries anyway.

These people who moved away from NP1s; what do they use now ?

Question regarding digital inputs: anyone tried 'em ? Is there a delay between analog ins and digital ins when used altogether ?

I guess I'd be using a QRX100 in these inputs with my RX900s in analog ins...

regarding digital inputs. on my 788, there is an increased delay of about 2ms, most likely due to the sample rate converter.

also, when i last did some tests between my qrx100 and rx900s, there was an increased delay on the qrx100 of 1ms, and the job im just on, ive noticed a difference in delay between single and dual mode but havent checked how much, but will ask zaxcom if anything can be done about it in due course.

These people who moved away from NP1s; what do they use now ?

I'm currently filling in for a mixer on a TV-show. I was quite surprised to see a large Anton Bauer V-lock style battery residing in the bag (more specifically, or actually, an IDX Endura-10 Li-ION battery) with an XLR F pigtail, and an XLR to Hirose adapter to go to the mixers and receivers. Personally, I don't see the reason to choose an overly sized battery for an already stupid heavy bag (SQN 5S mixer and Sony wireless beasts). The battery itself is around 0,5-0,8 kg (around 1 pound) and then that uncomfortable adapter solution on top of it. Not sure it gives more than a NP1-style would. It certainly isn't any better IMHO.

The only real advantage it's got, is you can extend the battery itself by attaching another battery on the back of it. Smart!

But that's for cart use. And the camera dept can use them as well.. Not considering it an upside though.

If I were the main mixer, I'd go NP for the sheer size. Bags are often designed to carry a NP-style battery underneath the mixers so...

There must be some reason for moving away from NP, I just can't figure it out from my standpoint. More opinions please!

Alright, so I received my Nomad 8 today after months of waiting and sucking in each and every Nomad post on here. I am in the process of getting acquainted with it, so I'm not qualified yet to post a real review. Just some first impressions:

Nomad is very light. The build quality seems alright, knobs and housing should be rugged. Only two flaws I noticed is a. that the aluminum plate behind the inputs (where the Zaxcom logo is printed on) can be pushed inward a little, maybe a screw in the middle would have helped there. and b. the battery sled doesn't sit tightly in its compartment. If one were to shake the unit, the sled would shake inside. I will put some thick tape on the battery door and that should fix this mostly.

Display: small but perfectly readable from all angles.

Operation:

First impression of the menu is quite easy to navigate. Metadata entry doesn't take too long.

One thing I'm really missing is something like a segment display showing segment no. and segment play time (no TC) during record and play. This is actually a feature I really need when listening back to files to check.

I have yet to get used to the transport controls in unshifted mode: back button works, forward button goes to PFL? Seems odd.

I will write more soon.

unshifted >> and << controls were mentioned a few posts back. they dont work unshifted. in my opinion, this is an advantage for anyone who uses the record button unshifted and would like to keep PFL unshifted at tbe same time. ie, boom in one hand, record/stop/pfl w the other.

unshifted >> and << controls were mentioned a few posts back. they dont work unshifted. in my opinion, this is an advantage for anyone who uses the record button unshifted and would like to keep PFL unshifted at tbe same time. ie, boom in one hand, record/stop/pfl w the other.

<< works unshifted, >> does not. That's what I found a bit confusing.

" the battery sled doesn't sit tightly in its compartment. "

with batteries ??

yes

the battery sled doesn't sit tightly in its compartment. If one were to shake the unit, the sled would shake inside. I will put some thick tape on the battery door and that should fix this mostly.

Try a small piece of the soft sided Velcro on the back of the battery door. That should snug up the batteries just fine.

Thanx Jack. Here's another question. I'm trying to format a CF card in the Primary slot. I have initiated a format, see the "ERASE PRIMARY" and the message: "This will take about 6 minutes"

There is now a line of code that reads:

"DM_DSM_WRITEDISK_ERR4"

repeated about ten times.

Should I be seeing this message?

I'm just trying to prep a card to do some test recordings. I'm still within the 6 minute window.