Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

Mirroring is fast enough that even if you don't immediately start it, you can easily catch up.

Not my experience on a Fusion - mirroring can be glacially slow and take many hours ......

I would like the option for the last mirroring setup to reinstate automatically after a restart.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 744t owner I can tell you that once I set the menu operation to record media to CF card it will always record to CF as long as there's a card in the slot and there's space on the card. Every time, rock solid, 100%. One more thing I don't have to worry about before the shoot.

I'm not happy about extra work I have to do day-of, before 1st shot, if I can config the machine ahead of time. If I have a card in the slot, it needs to be recorded to if I have enabled this in a prior set-up, prior shoot day, or night before pre-flight, etc. I like to have the machine fully config'd before I show up on set.

All we are talking about here is making the menu choice for CF mirroring setting to "stick" when the machine is powered down. Give us the option in the menu.

The design philosophy should be:

make the mixer's job easier, not harder, and don't let the machine stab him in the back.

NOTE:

Unless I have missed something, take numbers are not auto-advancing in v. 2.36. If I am mistaken, would some one please advise.

TIA

Follow Up 11/14/11:

Take numbers are advancing when I check files after recording by listening to the voice slate. What I was originally referring to was that in the metadata menu there is no indication that take numbers have advanced - what I see is the original Scene name, with original Take number (1) as set.

This will all be easier to figure out when we get the file browser restored.

The Nomad disables the mirror mode to allow you the oppertunity to decide if you want new files put on the mirror card. If the unit just started in mirror mode on, you could write new data to a card that was not intended to have new data put on it.

I will put in a switch to allow the mirror mode to stay on if that is how you want to run.

Glenn

The Nomad disables the mirror mode to allow you the oppertunity to decide if you want new files put on the mirror card. If the unit just started in mirror mode on, you could write new data to a card that was not intended to have new data put on it.

I will put in a switch to allow the mirror mode to stay on if that is how you want to run.

Glenn

Glenn,

This would also be a great feature to add to the Fusion. I tend to agree with him it is a pain to always have to turn it back on when you power down.

Glenn

Glenn, that would be a well appreciated feature for the Fusion and the Nomad as well. Throughout a workday, once the primary and mirror folders are created, there should be the option to just automatically mirror once the mirror card is in place. There have been numerous occasions when after recording quite a few high track count long takes, then realizing mirrorring is off. At the end of day, I had to wait an addittional 1/2 hr to let it catch up and finish mirrorring. A painfully long time when you want to get the hell off the set!!

Glenn, I (we) need to see Scene and Take info in the home screen. This lets me know what take I'm on and ensure the slate is accurately labelled. Is this already functional, and I'm missing something, or do we get this when the metadata browser functionality comes back?

The Primary and MIrror status messages could be hidden and Scene and Take number could be put in their place. It's enough for me to see the P and M LED's on the left side of the control surface to realize their status. Scene and Take display in the home screen could be a toggled function set up in the menus, if desired/necessary.

During Record, I want to see TC that is being recorded. During playback, I want the default TC displayed to be playback TC.

Thanks

We are changing the user interface to incorporate all of the desired items that need to be viewed quickly. As with any of our products the release is only a way point on the road to a product that is as user friendly as possible. In the 5 weeks the product has been out we have made many changes based on user feedback and will continue the process. If anyone has a specific suggestion for a change please Email me at gs@zaxcom.com

Glenn

Can anyone chime in regarding the quality of the limiters? I've read a few posts saying the sound quality was excellent, but really want to know how they respond when pushed hard. Not ideal for sound quality, but as we all know it happens. This is my one major gripe regarding the 788 as a digital mixer. The limiters just cant handle heavy dynamics like a 442 / 552.

Thanks,

J

Can anyone chime in regarding the quality of the limiters? I've read a few posts saying the sound quality was excellent, but really want to know how they respond when pushed hard. Not ideal for sound quality, but as we all know it happens. This is my one major gripe regarding the 788 as a digital mixer. The limiters just cant handle heavy dynamics like a 442 / 552.

Thanks,

J

May I suggest you do some reading on this and the other Nomad threads on this board as this has been discussed previously.

The limiter/compressor in the Nomad is a studio quality feature. Its soft knee approach and look ahead architecture are unique to the location sound/ bag audio experience. With parameters that allow the user to customize the sound and metering that exactly shows the amount of compression, I am sure the nomad will have a sound of its own with quality beyond any analog or digital solution.

Of course with Neverclip tm. the need for input limiters is greatly reduced if not eliminated in most cases. I see the compressors used mostly on output busses and card tracks.

Glenn

We are changing the user interface to incorporate all of the desired items that need to be viewed quickly. As with any of our products the release is only a way point on the road to a product that is as user friendly as possible. In the 5 weeks the product has been out we have made many changes based on user feedback and will continue the process.

Glenn

I spoke to Glenn regarding this and there are some pretty cool changes that will be taking place soon. I can't get into the details right now but keep an eye out for new software.

Thanks,

J

Jack - how are your limiters set up - with default values or your own recipe?

I've been really pleased with the limiters on my Nomad 6. I'm not using the input limiters but I am using the card and output limiters. The default works fine. The only change I've made is to the output level parameter. It defaults to +3 and affects the line up tone. I brought it down to zero so it lines up with the camera properly. I work on a home improvement show so the sound can be very dynamic. Normal talking followed by hammering, power tools etc. I avoid limiting if I can but when it happens I am hard pressed to hear it working. Pushing the level on the inputs isn't a problem either.

I'm getting used to auto trim and find it very informative and quick. For instance when you're mixing three radios to one channel (the host of the show goes on his own channel) you can quickly see the input levels on the different channels just by a very slight movement of the faders and then adjust on the fly with precision. I don't see it being slower than individual trim pots and it gives you more information.

Best,

Bernie