Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I think i got a pretty good feel for the menu and routing system, but I think I am missing one thing and it's holding me back from getting mysetup 100%

I will be using 1 boom and 4 wires on this next project. I have it setup so I am recording on card track 1-5 pre fader iso's, and card track 6 is getting a post fader mono mix of inputs 1-5.

This is all going as planned so far until I want to route tone and slate to my track 6 mix.

When in the bus menu>Card Mix 5-8 there is no "S" "T" "TC" option in the matrix as there is in the card mix 1-4 menu. I would like to be able to record to my mix track (as well as send to camera) tone, and my onboard slate mic in case i need to call scene/take etc.

Ultimately I am trying to find out how to route Slate mic, and tone to Card Track 6 (mono post fader mix), and find out of I can route Card track 6 to analog output 1,2 (for camera hop and comtek's)

Is the only way to make one of Card tracks 1-4 my mix track so I can enable Slate and Tone, then route analog inputs 1-5 post fader to output 1,2?

I just confused myself, I think I said all of this correctly.

Thanks

dont have a nomad in front of me, but when you go to the card track 5-8 menu, press the bus button and see if that takes you to another page, hopefully with the routing you want, press bus again for the digital inputs.

There is a submenu in the card track 5-8 menu, but unfortunately it does not have the Slate and Tone options in there.

Currently you can't route tone or slate to card track 5-8. So you do have to route tone and slate to 1-4.

In a software update coming soon you will beable to route your output busses directly to a card track so at that point you will be able to setup and mix for output busses, send to camera and then record that mix (which can include slate and tone if you like) directly on a card track.

yeah i'm on a show right now and we've been out in the elements the entire time. at times i wish the nomad heated up like the 788 to help keep my hands warm! but its been a pretty kick ass machine. i've been going through batteries a little more than usual, but i am using 2 411's, 2 211's, sra and two hop tx's, not to mention the high has been in the low 20's past few days so that easily warrants 2.5 np1's a day. mixing has been pretty simple too. mostly i've been using the screen that has the 2 outputs with the 6 input levels. i'll post up some pics later.

Currently you can't route tone or slate to card track 5-8. So you do have to route tone and slate to 1-4.

In a software update coming soon you will beable to route your output busses directly to a card track so at that point you will be able to setup and mix for output busses, send to camera and then record that mix (which can include slate and tone if you like) directly on a card track.

Thanks for the info, Jack.

Luckily the routing is quite simple and i can switch it around a bit to have what I need.

I've shot 12 hours today on one NP1, though mostly mixing without recording, one phantom power mic. Incidentally changed HP presets when resting my elbow on my side a couple of times, but the machine worked nicely for the most part.

One thing that's not good is that my Nomad semi-froze three times: Twice I could still mix and hear audio and the display also worked BUT the transport buttons didn't work at all. After a power cycle all was okay. The third time I entered meta data, I was trying to type "Assembly" in the note field, but after I got to ASS, pushing the menu knob had no effect anymore. I could move through the letters but I couldn't type them in. This must be a software issue (I hope, not the hardware again!), running 2.68. Anyone ever had problems like that?

I can't comment on how fast panning is because I don't have mine yet. But there aren't dedicated switches or pots per channel, so maybe a bit slower..? I really don't know yet. I don't do that much on-the-fly panning so it's not an issue for me.

PFL is accomplished by pressing the PFL button, then any numerical button will add that input to PFL. Press the headphone button to get back to your previous monitoring setup.

Mike,

Panning is perhaps only slightly slower than you're used to on an SD mixer but still pretty fast and simple if you keep the ENG screen displayed.

PFL is also very easy to do, and harder to bump accidentally. Its nice that you can also PFL multiple channels at once, I find this helpful sometimes. You just have to get used to the shift keys.

Come check mine out over a beer sometime soon.

JT

You were most likely in the take entry mode not the note mode. This mode only allows 3 charaters to be entered. We will see if we can make the condition easier to identify.

Glenn

"The third time I entered meta data, I was trying to type "Assembly" in the note field, but after I got to ASS, pushing the menu knob had no effect anymore. I could move through the letters but I couldn't type them in."

Everytime I read a post about a Nomad "issue" I feel a little sick and immediately decide not to get one. Then Glenn speaks up and eases my anxiety :)

Glenn, your presence here is welcomed, invaluable and probably helping sales!

Thanks for participating.

Jason

You were most likely in the take entry mode not the note mode. This mode anly allows 3 charaters to be entered. We will see if we can make the condition easier to identify.

Glenn

"The third time I entered meta data, I was trying to type "Assembly" in the note field, but after I got to ASS, pushing the menu knob had no effect anymore. I could move through the letters but I couldn't type them in."

Judging by the simulator "I have not received my nomad yet" it seams easy.

There are two things that the online simulator can't demonstrate that makes the panning even faster and easier to navigate.

The first is there is an option to remove the blank (empty) space when panning. Normally you pan L C R (off or blank) - so if you turn "prevent empty pan" you will cycle L C R with out the blank position. And if you want to take that channel out of the mix just turn down the fader.

Second is if you push the menu knob briefly you advance one position and if push and hold you go back one position.

1. Panning is faster than u might think, especially if u see it coming. I was

pleasantly surprised at how well the ENG menu facilitates panning. I sold my 442 after doing a few shoots with the Nomad. (Kept my FP-33 as back up)

2. It's a Nomad and u should be mutiltracking if there are multiple sources so ur two track to camera is just a daily mix track for he editor. U/they always have the iso's.

Sorry 4 the the text shorthand. I'm doing this on a phone.

Most likely you have a media issue. The Nomad was not frozen if everything else worked.

Glenn

Today again two issues:

1 at some point all of the membrane buttons didn't work, while audio was still there. No mirror card was present.

2 at another point record again didn't work, so I restarted Nomad, then pushing rec started recording but display still read "Stop mode". Another power cycle, then during booting the corrupted file was recovered and I could record again.

I will report back if this keeps happening.

You were most likely in the take entry mode not the note mode. This mode only allows 3 charaters to be entered. We will see if we can make the condition easier to identify.

Glenn

That's possible though not as I remember it. I'll see if it happens again. Thanks for looking into it. Nomad rocks anyways.