Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brooks (Basenji Boy) for confirming the looseness of the encoder knob. I agree it seems like it could fail in a short amount of time.

In regards to the menu encoder knob's clicking I tried as you suggested feathering the knob as I push it and I thought it made no significant difference.

Andy

The menu knob is a bit loose and during an interview today I had to press it couple of times so I had to wait for a question. Not so practical of course. If you try to press it quietly you might do things you don't intend to (by holding the knob when you just wanted to press). So you have to practice the ergonomics and your workflow a bit.

I disagree with those saying Nomad is just for ENG type jobs. I bought mine instead of a 788T which I would have used for both do and fiction (with a mixing console for the latter). If Zaxcom wants to compete with a 788T which I think they do then they will try to give the Nomad most of the features (or more than) that the 788T has. And of course they'd rather fiction people use the Fusion or Deva (which are better for fiction) but personally if there was no Nomad I would have bought a 788T, neither Fusion nor Deva were options for me. So I don't think they would want to lose that segment of the market. It's like making either 5500$ or 0$ per mixer.

One more thought on file naming: I imagine when an editor or post audio guy looks at his timeline and can see each region with the scene and take number written on it instead of a segment number that will make things more comfortable for them. I know they are for me when I edit or do audio post.

The HP and the menu knob are different and they aren't interchangeable.

The play in the HP knob is normal it is the way that knob is built.

As for the click in the menu knob - I was concerned about the click early on. But after use the knob has been "broken in" and is virtually silent now. So much so that quiet click in the HP knob seems loud when compared to the menu click.

is there a way to have tje file names labeled as the scene and take from the meta data? Or am i stuck with the "z001 etc naming scheme?

As I usually use Wave Agent  to check the metadatas before importing my sounds in Protools I noticed that it permits to rename the files  in the Scene/Name/Take mode. Just use Wave Agent's rename function. </div>

I did it with all the sounds that were coming from Nomad !

Just received my Nomad 6 and while familiarising myself with it i noticed that if output limiters are engaged it increases tone by 3dB,( into the yellow, if i set tone to -23dB it shows -20dB in the display, back to green). Haven't had a chance to plug into camera to see if this level is actually outputted.

Going on first job tomorrow with Epic( some Iv's and singing nothing too complicated)so will just be using as recorder only, if we get a chance will plug directly in and see what levels are limiters on/off & -20/-23dB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trev

Just received my Nomad 6 and while familiarising myself with it i noticed that if output limiters are engaged it increases tone by 3dB,( into the yellow, if i set tone to -23dB it shows -20dB in the display, back to green). Haven't had a chance to plug into camera to see if this level is actually outputted.

Going on first job tomorrow with Epic( some Iv's and singing nothing too complicated)so will just be using as recorder only, if we get a chance will plug directly in and see what levels are limiters on/off & -20/-23dB.

This is a result of the limiters make up gain. Currently the make up gain affects tone on the output buses. This will be corrected in a future software update.

The quick work around, until it is implemented in software, is when sending tone turn off the limiters.

Thanks Jack

That never occurred to me, my poor little brain hasn't had to deal with this much cognitive processing in getting to grips with Nomads capabilities that the simple workarounds slip past.

It's a great testament to this forum that a soundie on the west coast of Ireland can pose a question and have it answered from a different continent and several timezones away in half an hour, long live JWSound and all who sail in her.

Trev

excuse me if this has been asked before... how are people dealing with the one format recording medium. As there are just CF slots and no internal drive, can it also record to external drive.

How would i copy the card to DVD for hard copy back up.

thx again... JJ

You can pull the mirror card and like mentioned with a computer and a card reader you can make a back-up. Or with a Nomad 8 or 12 - when the USB support is implemented - you can directly mirror to another media as well. You can copy directly via the USB as you are shooting or you can even do it at the end of the day and make as many copies as you like directly from Nomad.

• 2 weeks later...

When I set mirror mode to AFTER POWER CYCLE:ON and restart from my distro the mirror mode is not remembered.

I guess there is a difference between power loss and the hardware switch button...

Should have no effect. I never use the switch - I cycle power via a BDS which is the same as pulling the power.