Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nomad audio returns are high resolution inputs with audio quality equal to the 6 mic/line inputs. We did this so they could be used as inputs 7-10 as well as monitor returns. The major difference is that only the mic/line inputs have the “NeverClip” TM feature.

As I told many visitors to the AES show the Nomad has exceeded all of our expectations. The NeverClip inputs worked out great and will fundamentally change how sound is mixed on location.

Power consumption is extremely low at about 500ma on average. RF emissions are almost nonexistent.

An interesting thing that was pointed out to me is that our headphone outputs and our output busses have exactly the same clip points so the headphone output is always an accurate reflection of mix bus distortion when limiters are not in use. I never realized that this was an issue with analog mixers.

Preventing system lockups was job 1 in the software and hardware design. All Nomad software was written by Zaxcom. This allows us to better control the system and its timing to prevent lockups.

A lot of attention was also paid to the hardware design to prevent system lockups. Proper power supply design with battery backup and lots of power filtering are key elements in the design of the Nomad. No heat generation is also a key to preventing system lockups.

As a bonus both internal battery supply and external power can be connected backwards without damage to the Nomad.

Nomad is our 3rd generation of mixer recorders and am very proud of the work Howy and I have done on it. I would also like to acknowledge Simon Bishop, Larry Kaltenbach and Jack Norflus for their valuable input and feedback.

Glenn

So 4 returns plus listening to it's own recorder's output or? I mean, does the onboard recorder submix/moni mix appear as an option for monitoring along with the returns?

phil p

I'm sorry Phil I'm not exactly sure of your question - but I will try to answer it. In each of Nomad's HP selects you can choose any one, or all of, your card tracks to monitor. So if you mix down and record a mono mix track you can monitor that track only. And if you don't have a mono track you can select to monitor all your iso tracks which would give you a mono mix in your HP.

Also Nomad has six output buses - you can select to listen to one or none of these as well.

So you can choose to listen to all your card channels all your output buses and all your return channels all at the same time.

Given that - you can choose as many or as few items you want to monitor at the same time. And you can assign it to either right or left ear or both.

Did I answer your question?

I'm sorry Phil I'm not exactly sure of your question - but I will try to answer it. In each of Nomad's HP selects you can choose any one, or all of, your card tracks to monitor. So if you mix down and record a mono mix track you can monitor that track only. And if you don't have a mono track you can select to monitor all your iso tracks which would give you a mono mix in your HP.

Also Nomad has six output buses - you can select to listen to one or none of these as well.

So you can choose to listen to all your card channels all your output buses and all your return channels all at the same time.

Given that - you can choose as many or as few items you want to monitor at the same time. And you can assign it to either right or left ear or both.

Did I answer your question?

thanks

phil p

" Ouch! "

then watch your toes...

I have no apologies.

One poster thought the gig, as described, was the result of "reefer madness"... and, maybe it was... :wacko:

I have actually spoken with some others who say they actually cannot believe Mr. Norflus' gig was real or at least real world, it seems so over the top. And while Jack noted my mention of the built in IFB capability which will soon be able to eliminate even more wires and equipment in that situation (watch out, in place of " an hardline headphone DA located in an adjacent room " , the client will expect 4+ RX's at no additional cost, too), he has not responded to my chiding about the kit rental. He might have said "I got a good rental", or "I got my rate", or even perhaps "this was a freebie to test the capabilities". I think we are all facing an ongoing escalation of expectations by our clients --combined with the ongoing entrenchment of the low rates they offer-- I believe this is collateral damage, it is a real aspect of what all these technological advancements are doing for our wallets and backs! Perhaps we should also be discussing our pricing structures as well..?? Is a new Nomad, with its comprehensive smörgåsbord of capabilities be cause for a rental bump, possibly covering some of the "lost rental" on other devices we charged for in the past, as well as appropriately financing our investments..?? (That is how the rental businesses do it) Or possibly we charge a higher daily rate to compensate for the complex jobs, especially when we are doing the work traditionally done by more than one person (that model has traditionally not flown!)...

As for this particular thread, or forum, well jwsound has never been particularly strict about what is discussed under what title, and just because " all the other Nomad threads are several pages long " there is no necessity of creating a new "topic"

...As for this particular thread, or forum, well jwsound has never been particularly strict about what is discussed under what title, and just because " all the other Nomad threads are several pages long " there is no necessity of creating a new "topic"

No, Mike, there's certainly no necessity of creating another topic if you're going to spam it like you do so many other discussions. Can't you allow just one thread to exist for its intended purpose rather than trying to make it about yourself? ...Please.

I would love to see a topic where only Nomad users post their impressions and discoveries but your sabotage definitely undermines that.

GOOD GRIEF -- for once, PLEASE, be considerate of others and give it a rest.

Thank you.

" where only Nomad users post their impressions and discoveries "

I would think that would be a Zaxcom forum and not www.jwsound.net...

Unfortunately, ths doesn't exist. There is the deva II Yahoo group but there is just not a lot of dialog going on there. It's more of a post your questions (or more commonly, gripes) to Howie forum.

" able to accomplish all of this with just Nomad, "

While all this power and versatility in one small, lightweight, efficient package is a big win -particularly for pack-mule audio / trackers /run and gun folks, as CRAP happens, it brings up the issue of backup...

Back in those dark ages, we kept a spare Nagra either on the truck, or within a short trip, in case of those inevitable failures...Living and working in Hawai'i, I had to have 2 TC Nagra's, as a 4.2 could not (there were later modifications available) properly back up a Nagra IV-STC.

Here on jwsound we frequently speak of carrying basic essentials, and having plan B's, but now, with everything in one box, I suspect many folks will start thinking about a backup Nomad.. ???

" It's more of a ..."

that's not my fault

???

There are 2 x CF slots, and some form of Mini or Micro SD slot - there are 3 slots!!!

So - if you dont wish to mix your media, then you can stick with 2 x CF card.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

interesting...the website specs say "2 x CompactFlash", which I think is actually a good idea, rather than needing to own/wrangle 2 types of media.

" able to accomplish all of this with just Nomad, "

While all this power and versatility in one small, lightweight, efficient package is a big win -particularly for pack-mule audio / trackers /run and gun folks, as CRAP happens, it brings up the issue of backup...

Back in those dark ages, we kept a spare Nagra either on the truck, or within a short trip, in case of those inevitable failures...Living and working in Hawai'i, I had to have 2 TC Nagra's, as a 4.2 could not (there were later modifications available) properly back up a Nagra IV-STC.

Here on jwsound we frequently speak of carrying basic essentials, and having plan B's, but now, with everything in one box, I suspect many folks will start thinking about a backup Nomad.. ???

" It's more of a ..."

that's not my fault

???

This is a good question actually. For now, my backup is my 302/TRX900AA setup. It is small enough to sit in the Pelican case next to my Nomad. While I would have less capability, it would probably cover 90% of what I needed to do in the filed.

I have actually spoken with some others who say they actually cannot believe Mr. Norflus' gig was real or at least real world, it seems so over the top

My dear friend Mr. Senator - I'm not quite sure where you are working, or what kind of work you are doing these days outside of the classroom, but for me at least 80% of my work involves multiple cameras, where three four and even five camera shoots are the norm. And when shooting multiple guests unscripted, isolating them on different camera tracks is a request I get often, especially when the camera rolls will supply primary audio. A DVD burn of the "main" camera is also a very frequent occurrence these day - so that a producer can walk away with a piece of media that they can pop into their laptop and screen without having to walk off with the camera masters. Time-coded MP3's and Comtek feeds are the norm as well. As for the hardline HP feed to another room it was because there was a large entourage and the producer wanted to keep them in the other room so the though was that hardwire headphones would anchor them.

So I'm not sure which of your cronies you spoke to regarding the audio requirements of MY shoot but I can assure you this was not a figment of my imagination or some pot induced dream.

he has not responded to my chiding about the kit rental. He might have said "I got a good rental", or "I got my rate", or even perhaps "this was a freebie to test the capabilities".

My no response to your inquiry about the rate I got for this was just me choosing to ignore you. First I did get more than $75 for my kit - as a matter of fact I got way more than that. And more so it is none of your business what I got for my kit - if I got $50 or $500 I got what I asked for and i got what the market will bear. I charge different rates for different clients and different circumstances. And just because I was able to accomplish multi functions with one machine doesn't mean I actually billed for just one machine. Quite honestly the production manager, or any one else, doesn't care if I used two mixers and several DA's - or if I used a Nomad - or even two tin cans and a string. The bottom line is I did what I was hired to do - the was the job was done and done correctly and, I will get paid for doing so.

just because " all the other Nomad threads are several pages long " there is no necessity of creating a new "topic"

If you read the OP correctly I started it by saying "Since Nomad is now shipping ..."

Nomad has entered into a new chapter of its life, If you recall correctly the Nomad threads have run the gamut from the rummer stage (pre-NAB) to the non-conjecture thread (post-NAB), to the is alive thread (beta testing). So now that Nomad is available and is shipping users can now post real world thoughts and impressions hence the ned for a new thread. So if you took a moment from trying to come up with snippy comment you might have realized this.

Senator, you are a very knowledgeable man, and I have actually learned a thing or two from reading you posts, but please refrain from posting inane jabber without getting your facts correct first.

Thanks you for your time.

Jack

Jack, what kind of SD slot did the Nomad end up getting - MiniSD or MicroSD? I recall reading both in different announcements/posts.

All Nomads have two CF slots - Primary and mirror.

Nomad 8 and 12 also add a micro SD slot (behind the battery door). With Nomad 8 or 12 you can choose to record to an additional media - either a USB device or to the micro SD card.

The people at Zaxcom are AWESOME. Got great recordings with the Fusion 12. When I needed help, they bent over backwards to help me.

Now a question (sorry not a new thread) - can two Nomads be linked together with sample accuracy? Probably most do not need this, but I am curious if this can happen.

The people at Zaxcom are AWESOME. Got great recordings with the Fusion 12. When I needed help, they bent over backwards to help me.

Now a question (sorry not a new thread) - can two Nomads be linked together with sample accuracy? Probably most do not need this, but I am curious if this can happen.

Not at this time.

In the future - almost anything is possible.

I'm with Jack on the nature of that job. You guys ever have to sit though those awful "Next Round with Skip Jackson" ads on ESPN.com? Those are shot with 4 cameras with the exact same requirements that Jack had on his job. I know the guys that do them, and I do the ones shot out here in NYC or Boston. I've only done 3 of them. The ones I do I split the audio exactly like this, but with my 788T and a 442. Now I'll use the Nomad probably. The editor reports back to me that a lot of them sound terrible, and the sound guy gets the track mapping wrong. About half of them they get it right, and about another half of them they actually sound OK. The moral of the story is that I'm one of the few that gets called back because I bother to actually split stuff out like they want AND do a mono mix that they use 80% of the time.

I find so much more of the stuff I do is multi camera, and so much less of it comes with a warning about it. Throw on top of that that many of them ask if I can sync up there DSLRs to the big camera and its a veritable multi camera circus. I don't complain, often charge a bit more, and get more call backs because I bother to send audio to as many places as I can.

The job he described was in no way over the top in my experience, albeit not an every day occurrence.