Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

Hi Howy,

Thanks for the quick response and for considering user requests! We appreciate it!

Both of the additions you mention would be fantastic.

Regarding the above scenario, I was using a dynamic mic so no phantom power was engaged.

Jack, Yes all of the fader assigns were set to the default. "A" position.

When moving trim 4 the noise floor on track 3 was reduced temporarily (while the knob was moving only).

It doesn't rise and fall relative to the trim adjustment being made. That's what I thought was really weird.

I can't get it to happen on any other channel combinations. Just 3 and 4. Trim 3 doesn't affect Track 4 BTW.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the files and I have not heard of a Nomad doing that. Since you say you have clicking in ch3 when you change the gain, you may have a leaky capacitor somewhere that could be also causing the ch 4 interaction.

I will have to let Glenn listen to it (when he comes back from IBC) and maybe we will need to service your input board.

-howy

FYI - Zaxcom is currently working on giving the user the option of adding scene and take numbers to the file names. The should be implemented in the near future.

Keyboard support will be available on Nomad 8 and 12 when USB support implemented.

Great, both of those are good news.

My biggest concern now is keeping TC when turning the unit on/off.

When powered down my Nomad will drift only one frame in 6 hours. Perhaps your internal TC battery needs to be changed.

Hmmm... Maybe. It simply drifts like crazy when the unit powers off. It's a real PITA. I'll contact Zaxcom about it.

BTW, One frame in 6 hours is pretty mediocre. My lockit boxes don't even drift half of a frame in that amount of time. I'll take it at this point though.

Thanks for the heads up, I assumed it was still a bug. Also, thanks for the tip on the batteries. They are working great for me.

Hmmm... Maybe. It simply drifts like crazy when the unit powers off. It's a real PITA. I'll contact Zaxcom about it.

BTW, One frame in 6 hours is pretty mediocre. My lockit boxes don't even drift half of a frame in that amount of time. I'll take it at this point though.

Thanks for the heads up, I assumed it was still a bug. Also, thanks for the tip on the batteries. They are working great for me.

Internal battery?

phil p

When powered down my Nomad will drift only one frame in 6 hours. Perhaps your internal TC battery needs to be changed.

If the internal battery was weak or dead the time would return to default every time you power cycled. When I first received my Nomad I had this issue. There was the slightest bit of gummy residue on the battery. I cleaned it and it worked fine.

If the timecode drifts dramatically contact Zaxcom and prepare to have it sent in.

Mark O.

<p>I don&#39;t remember seeing this posted-</p>

<p> </p>

<p>http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/IndustrialFilms/Home/Support/RequestASample/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>- for those wanting to try the 3M product on the Nomad screen-maybe the sample is large enough to fit the bill.  If previously posted, sorry.  Fury really embraces Steinheil for Apple gear, etc..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh, for the juvenile out there:</p>

<p> </p>

<div> </div>

<div> </div>

<div>˙˙ɔʇǝ &#39;ɹɐǝƃ ǝlddɐ ɹoɟ lıǝɥuıǝʇs sǝɔɐɹqɯǝ ʎllɐǝɹ ʎɹnɟ  ˙ʎɹɹos &#39;pǝʇsod ʎlsnoıʌǝɹd ɟı  ˙llıq ǝɥʇ ʇıɟ oʇ ɥƃnouǝ ǝƃɹɐl sı ǝldɯɐs ǝɥʇ ǝqʎɐɯ-uǝǝɹɔs pɐɯou ǝɥʇ uo ʇɔnpoɹd ɯ3 ǝɥʇ ʎɹʇ oʇ ƃuıʇuɐʍ ǝsoɥʇ ɹoɟ -</div>

<div> </div>

<div>/ǝldɯɐsɐʇsǝnbǝɹ/ʇɹoddns/ǝɯoɥ/sɯlıɟlɐıɹʇsnpuı/sn‾uǝ/ɯ3/lɐʇɹod/sdʍ/ɯoɔ˙ɯ3˙suoıʇnlos//:Dʇʇɥ</div>

<div> </div>

<div>-pǝʇsod sıɥʇ ƃuıǝǝs ɹǝqɯǝɯǝɹ ʇ,uop ı</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Fury was working on Leo&#39;s style in Junior high-must be an App for that...</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Thank you very much</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Fury</div>

<p>I don&#39;t remember seeing this posted-</p>

<p> </p>

<p>http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/IndustrialFilms/Home/Support/RequestASample/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>- for those wanting to try the 3M product on the Nomad screen-maybe the sample is large enough to fit the bill. If previously posted, sorry. Fury really embraces Steinheil for Apple gear, etc..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh, for the juvenile out there:</p>

<p> </p>

<div> </div>

<div> </div>

<div>˙˙ɔʇǝ &#39;ɹɐǝƃ ǝlddɐ ɹoɟ lıǝɥuıǝʇs sǝɔɐɹqɯǝ ʎllɐǝɹ ʎɹnɟ ˙ʎɹɹos &#39;pǝʇsod ʎlsnoıʌǝɹd ɟı ˙llıq ǝɥʇ ʇıɟ oʇ ɥƃnouǝ ǝƃɹɐl sı ǝldɯɐs ǝɥʇ ǝqʎɐɯ-uǝǝɹɔs pɐɯou ǝɥʇ uo ʇɔnpoɹd ɯ3 ǝɥʇ ʎɹʇ oʇ ƃuıʇuɐʍ ǝsoɥʇ ɹoɟ -</div>

<div> </div>

<div>/ǝldɯɐsɐʇsǝnbǝɹ/ʇɹoddns/ǝɯoɥ/sɯlıɟlɐıɹʇsnpuı/sn‾uǝ/ɯ3/lɐʇɹod/sdʍ/ɯoɔ˙ɯ3˙suoıʇnlos// :Dʇʇɥ</div>

<div> </div>

<div>-pǝʇsod sıɥʇ ƃuıǝǝs ɹǝqɯǝɯǝɹ ʇ,uop ı</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Fury was working on Leo&#39;s style in Junior high-must be an App for that...</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Thank you very much</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Fury</div>

Thanks Fury, that 'bout sums it up. ???

I think this is apples & oranges, you're talking about a small IC clock that takes a miniscule amount of battery power VS a higher-drain, temp-controlled TC clock. I happen to think 1 frame in 6 hours (with the unit off!) is pretty good.

Also interested in possible LCD improvements.

I think this is apples & oranges, you're talking about a small IC clock that takes a miniscule amount of battery power VS a higher-drain, temp-controlled TC clock. I happen to think 1 frame in 6 hours (with the unit off!) is pretty good.

Also interested in possible LCD improvements.

I'm getting far from 1 frame in six hours with the Nomad off. My Nomad is at least 3 frames off of slate/camera after being powered down for lunch. Wish this would be addressed...again.