‘Iron Man 3′ Joins Movie And TV Production Exodus To North Carolina

Richard Lightstone, CAS

i bet a north carolina sound mixer wouldn't have let that lav cable go like that… or a georgia, Louisiana or michigan, I'm kidding. but seriously, why not another 20 seconds to drop that cable down his shirt? i hate seeing crap like that.

You're assuming there was a sound guy there at all. I'm pretty sure us L.A. guys would have boomed that one ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hollywood productions have been shooting in Canada for well over 40 years. Montreal and Toronto were the busiest places then followed by Vancouver in the 70's and 80's. Over the last 20 years it has been Vancouver and Toronto and then Montreal. All three cities have a good pool of talented Sound Mixers, with many who have been doing it well over 30 years or more.

Total Recall and the Resident Evil sequels were crewed with Toronto sound people. Steve Gauthier mixed Total Recall, he's been around a long time.

Resident Evil's Cinematographer was Glen MacPherson, an established D.P., originally from Montreal. I first worked with him in the mid 70's when he was a clapper-loader.

There is also an excellent pool of talent in Great Britain. Producers and studios will shoot any where in the United States, Canada or in the world, for that matter, where ever they can save below the line costs. That's just the way it is.

Established Mixers in Los Angeles and New York will always be considered for the bigger budgeted shows, no matter where they shoot. But, it is no longer a guarantee any more.

Den,

What is your point?

The sound crews on those shows were entirely local hires. So I'm not sure what you mean by "or at least a mix"?

The overall point is that we in the U.S. do not have control when a producer and studio decide to go to another country and shoot a project with local crews. Of course we would like them to shoot it all in the U.S.

I think the focus, at least in Los Angeles and San Francisco, is for the California legislature to put together tax incentives at least as competitive or better than those offered by other states. That would go a long way in slowing the many runaway productions.

Governments should stay out of it and Producers should be free to seek out the crews and the locations that best suit their production needs without the need for taxpayer money.

I agree. Problem is that states and countries have, and always will, lured business and manufacturing from other states by offering incentives. We in the film industry have long believed that our "manufacturing" should and would stay in Los Angeles, but we're fooling ourselves.

As consumers become less concerned with quality, and the business owners become less concerned with quality, and more disposable "good enough" product can be manufactured elsewhere by less experienced and cheaper labor, the companies will move their manufacturing. The biggest problem with our product, is that it can be manufactured anywhere. No factories required. Just pick a spot, drive the equipment there, and off you go.

California will never be able to match the cheaper states, so frankly I think we should offer nothing. Producers will leave if they can save $5 million or $5 thousand. So why give them anything for staying?

A good friend of mine (line producer) tells me he has meetings all the time that go like this...

"We can make your movie in Los Angeles for $10m"

"But if we go to New Orleans we can spend $13m and get $3m back, so we now have a $13m movie for $10m!"

"Yes, but for the same $10m, we can make the same movie in Los Angeles without traveling actors or crew or gear or other producers. We have all the crew we need. We have sets and props and costumes and skilled crew who can make you your movie for $10m. You don't need a tax credit. It'll be the same film as you would be getting by spending $13m in New Orleans, and you wouldn't need to get the $3m back."

"Yeah, but, it's a $13m movie not a $10m movie."

"Right. But it's the same movie. It costs you more there, and you get the difference back."

"I don't understand. Let's shoot in New Orleans. That's what everyone is doing, so it must be better."

Robert

I agree that taxpayers money should not be used to provide incentives for industry. However, each state is made up people and those people decide, through their legislature, to spend their money on incentives. Many states believe that bringing a film to their community will create jobs. Unless there is a consistent stream of movies flowing through a community, those jobs are temporary at best. Incentives for manufacturing or agriculture makes more sense to me but movie making is sexy and that's why they get the incentives.

That being said... I think its laughable that Californian's believe they are ENTITLED to the film industry. It doesn't matter if the production can save money and produce a "quality" product somewhere else. It doesn't mater that a competent crew base and filmmaking infrastructures exist in other places. A little competition is a good thing. California is running all sorts of businesses out - not just film/tv.

Here in Wilmington you can make your show and live in a 4 bedroom house and have a car in your driveway and be 15 minutes away from everything for what it costs for a 1 bedroom flat in LA or NY. If I were a producer, I'd move my production to NC. I'd have everything I need to make a movie or a series and have a comfortable life with my family.

Oh, and the ocean is warm on this coast.

The only reason they are in Wilmington, or Atlanta, or New Orleans IS because they can save money. They hold no love for the local crews, nor the state they are in.

They have embraced the competition a long time ago and while it provides relativly good wages for a growing crew base locally, it only helps to drive down the wages of film technicians nationally.

That is the wish of the major studios; to have the Area Standards Agreement replace the Basic Contracts of Los Angeles and New York. The Area Standard wage rates are at least half or worse of the Basic rates.

They will continue to shoot in the Film incentive states, until there is a cheaper locale or country to save a buck. It's all transitory and as history has shown they will be out of there as fast as they came in, once it gets too "expensive" for their budgets.

California, actually Los Angeles, will always remain the Entertainment "Capitol", just as New York city is the Financial Capitol. The headquarters are here, the infrastructure and an enormously qualified crew base.

Once the cycle runs it's course -- it always has -- they'll be back shooting again in California and then flee once more when it gets good somewhere else.

So my advice to Jeff Babb, and the others who do not reside in L.A., is make your money now before they stop showing up. Because they will.

" taxpayers money should not be used to provide incentives for industry. "

First we must remember that the movie industry is not the only one being lured back, and forth, by financial considerations (which include incentives).

Not only does this apply to other industries, but also, it is much more complex than just the specific movie production incentives we are discussing here, there are a lot of other factors, especially taxes, that go into the equation, and frankly, the movie business is not the only "industry" California is sending, make that chasing away...

Edited by studiomprd

...Incentives for manufacturing or agriculture makes more sense to me but movie making is sexy and that's why they get the incentives.

...California is running all sorts of businesses out - not just film/tv.

...the movie business is not the only "industry" California is sending away...

California will always be known as the pioneer of the film industry. But it may not be the future of it.

California will always be known as the pioneer of the film industry. But it may not be the future of it.

J.B.

Personally speaking,..... I wouldn't bet against California in whatever form content creation takes in the future. Viva the best coast, the west coast, it happens here, then everywhere else.

CrewC