Sennheiser HD 25 II intermittent signal issue

bendybones

In in the "What to look for in headphones?" thread, imagist notes the same problem I am having with the HD 25 II, and the same that Simon B experienced with HD250 II.

-The point of connection between the cable and earcup becoming intermittent-

As well as the seemingly random loses of signal, it is also guaranteed to lose signal when a loud transient is received (eg a clapper board, a shout).

I feed my cans lower volume than anyone I know.

It is always the left earcup and it is fixed by applying small pressure to the connector in a forwards direction.

I otherwise love my HD25s and was ready to buy a spare pair when this started some moths back.

Imagist mentioned that tinning the connectors seemed to give another couple months before intermittent behaviour, but I would love to find a more permanent solution.

Has anyone found anything to help?

Thanks

Jiggle the connector or buy a new set. Hd25 are usually good for two years before the problem starts.

I suspect it's the cable, as I did replace it on my first set and was ok for next 6-9 months, then the problem was back.

Tried tining the connector - not a definitive solution.

Even with this issue hd25s are still my phones of choice - to much else good about them

I gave up on HD25's a long time ago due to this persistent issue. I have 3 pairs, all of which exhibited this irritating fault with the cheap connector which goes into the cup. Not professional IMO. I have far cheaper sets which have decent robust connectors. Although I used to think they were good, once I switched I adapted to the new ones (Sony) and going back, HD25's don't sound that good. In fact too bassy. I think, like speakers, you learn to interpret based on familiarity. There are much better phones out there. HD25's are old in the tooth now.

In in the "What to look for in headphones?" thread, imagist notes the same problem I am having with the HD 25 II, and the same that Simon B experienced with HD250 II.

-The point of connection between the cable and earcup becoming intermittent-

As well as the seemingly random loses of signal, it is also guaranteed to lose signal when a loud transient is received (eg a clapper board, a shout).

I feed my cans lower volume than anyone I know.

It is always the left earcup and it is fixed by applying small pressure to the connector in a forwards direction.

I otherwise love my HD25s and was ready to buy a spare pair when this started some moths back.

Imagist mentioned that tinning the connectors seemed to give another couple months before intermittent behaviour, but I would love to find a more permanent solution.

Has anyone found anything to help?

Thanks

The only way to correct the problem would be to bypass the plug in connection and to hard wire the cable directly into the internal solder points.

Eric

my HD 25 II's gave me this problem, went back to Sennheiser, got NEW transducers, and i got a new cable, and yet the same thing.

I intend to shake the Sennheiser tree sometime soon. Either they acknowledge the issue with their so-special two-prong connector, or they lose face.

Need to figure out a way to get Sennheiser at least 10, if not more people with this issue.

HD25s are a great pair of headphones, but i will NOT go with them if they work like cheap amateur pair of earbuds for a phone.

1. Cleaning the pins? Not a solution. I WONT clean pins that are not supposed to be regularly cleaned. If Sennheiser intended this, let them tell us.

2. Tinning the pins - definitely not a manufacturer's recommendation.

Although we have a few people here who have MADE these work for them, this is not what we are paying for.

This is a well known issue at Sennheiser HQ, and certainly at Sennheiser UK.

I believe there was at least one iteration of the pin connector that was particularly bad - Sennhesier should be able to tel you which. I do not believe that they ever replaced anyone's 'bad' connector.

I have found on my HD250 Mk2's that it helped to use some of that magical conductive snake oil stuff (I forget the name). Also the take a pair of pliers and bend the two pins just slightly away from each other.

I finally solved the problem by changing to HMD26 headphones - I now love them.... and they have a built in boom mic so that I can speak to my boomerators. They are hellish expensive, but seem to be like HD25s done right!!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

<<As well as the seemingly random loses of signal, it is also guaranteed to lose signal when a loud transient is received (eg a clapper board, a shout).>>

what kind of snake oil or grease needed to fix this?

this is a product design defect, Sennheiser needs to fix this. with oil or whatever else...

" this is a product design defect, Sennheiser needs to fix this. "

I hope you are not holding your breath waiting for that to happen...

...in the meantime, just a touch of the same stuff Lectro uses to solve a similar problem may well help you solve the problem... what is wrong with that?? :blink:

If you pull the lead out from the ear cups and clean the two little pins your HD25's should work all fine.

Thanks Nate. What are you using to clean them?

Perhaps they're not designed for the rough & tumble field production world.

Shocking thing is, my cans don't see any rough and tumble, neither did my previopus pair of 25's, they are really well looked after.

So I'm not sure what Sennheiser's excuse could be here.

I was warned when I bought my first pair never to disconnect them.

That was 5 years ago and that pair is fine.

Never disconnected mine.

Also the take a pair of pliers and bend the two pins just slightly away from each other.

Thanks. Will try this if cleaning doesn't help.

just a touch of the same stuff Lectro uses to solve a similar problem may well help you solve the problem

Thanks Mike. Do you have a name for that stuff Lectro uses, or any info on it?

I've replaced the cable once only to find it was the right side driver. Replaced that and alls been good so far. I love them for booming as they're smaller and offer low end so i can hear any handling noise...now if only the cable didn't take so much abuse when it gets caught on the ACs walkie as he squeezes by me slating on these tiny sets...

• 9 years later...

Sorry to dig up a grave this old but I found an easy solution. The female connector is easily accessible by removing the ear pads and the plastic grill behind. You will see the membrane and a little white plastic clip of sorts from which the tiny wires go to the driver coil. You can pull that out and access two little spring-like parts. If you add a thin (0.2-0.4mm or so) square of plastic or whatever to the side of the spring that doesn't touch the gold plated tube to tension it more, problem solved. It makes the male connectors tighter and a little harder to insert or remove, the intermittent sound is gone though.