What do you listen to for enjoyment?

Brian Maier

I recently picked up a RSA Hornet amp, Audio Line Out Cryo Dock, and some Sennheiser HD650 headphones for my ipod. After I listened to 2-3 songs realized what the short comings of 128kbps encodes were.  So spent the next week re-encoding my entire library to 330kbps.  I'm enjoying my music so much more now.  Anyway i'm sure a number of you guys enjoy listening as much as capturing so share your setups.

post-93-130815073544_thumb.jpg

post-93-13081507355_thumb.jpg

After getting my first mac and ipod shuffle I ended up encoding at 192K , mainly to save room

on the shuffle but found it to be a good compromise between quality and space.

At home even my (now) ex GF commented on the difference between digidesign mbox output mp3's (192k) and the standard minijack on the mac, She's an audio novice so I was impressed that she had appreciation of the difference and understood why to use the mbox as an interface to plackback audio! Mind you she did introduce me to metallica and AC/DC....

I'm a boring fart now so tend to listen to 80's electronica to reboot my youth , otherwise follow the link in my signature to see what I like like to do and listen to.

• 4 years later...

I'm bumping this thread as I just got a set of HD-650 cans today and am LOVING them. Right now all I have to drive them is my ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound card, which is doing a great job, but I've got my eye on a couple amps and DACs. Started ripping my CD collection to .flac today too. Nice to breathe new life into my music collection again.

So, what are you guys out there rockin with?

Ha ha, no no guys, I meant are any of you into audiophile headphone gear like the OP was showing off there back in the day, not WHAT youre listening to! Of course that can be interesting conversation talk too. Im all over the board though so itd be too much for me to contribute. Wouldnt even know where to start...

The world around me. Without headphones.

phil p

If you are somewhere thats pleasant to listen to, I quite agree. But I find most of whats around me Id do better to NOT listen to. That being said its gotta be some pretty good environmental ear candy for it to make me wanna listen to it over some Joe Satriani wailing on the internal strings of my mind! Or the like.

One of the best nights of my life:

;)

Big fan of 320K AAC music on my various iPods. I'm still a big 1960s oldies guy, mostly British Invasion and Surf music, but I love anything good. I try to maintain a big library of different music in case the client wants a little background music for set downtimes and lunch -- well over 100,000 songs spread across several drives.

The Senator will remember a case about six months back where the AD yelled at my musical sections, asking, "hey, don't you have anything recorded this century?" (Whippersnapper.) I'm now endeavoring to put together two new playlists, one of 1990s/2000s hard rock, and 1990s/2000s soft rock, plus some instrumentals, for occasions where the 20-something crewmembers want something they can relate to. (I always say, "I'm a much better mixer than I am a DJ!")

Big fan of 320K AAC music on my various iPods. I'm still a big 1960s oldies guy, mostly British Invasion and Surf music, but I love anything good. I try to maintain a big library of different music in case the client wants a little background music for set downtimes and lunch -- well over 100,000 songs spread across several drives.

The Senator will remember a case about six months back where the AD yelled at my musical sections, asking, "hey, don't you have anything recorded this century?" (Whippersnapper.) I'm now endeavoring to put together two new playlists, one of 1990s/2000s hard rock, and 1990s/2000s soft rock, plus some instrumentals, for occasions where the 20-something crewmembers want something they can relate to. (I always say, "I'm a much better mixer than I am a DJ!")

Marc, you mean a little something like this:

;)

And not all of us "whippersnappers" dislike oldies. I will admit though, sadly we are not many it seems. But my entire 297 song Beatles collection is one of my prized possessions. I grew up on oldies and many different kinda of music. Cant imagine life without music of all kinds.

Its kind of weird opening a post then realizing you started it 5 years ago. Even the way I wrote the post seems foreign to me now, guess I was young and excited about something new(for me).

Ha ha, no no guys, I meant are any of you into audiophile headphone gear like the OP was showing off there back in the day, not WHAT youre listening to! Of course that can be interesting conversation talk too. Im all over the board though so itd be too much for me to contribute. Wouldnt even know where to start...

Yes this was the intent...

Its kind of weird opening a post then realizing you started it 5 years ago. Even the way I wrote the post seems foreign to me now, guess I was young and excited about something new(for me).

I read posts that I have made years ago, or even other things I have participated in (like the MIX Magazine interview from 2005) and I am always surprised that it was me saying these things... there is often a real disconnect, I don't know why.

These guys are a hoot, i usually listen daily, they sell gold coins but only in the last :60 seconds. They have a skewed view on most things and they are "live" out of Phoenix Monday through Friday, they also have podcasts on their home page. I was a top 40 dj for too many years so listening to music Is like being at work again. Hmmm some dialogue recording is also like that.;-)

http://allamericangold.com/ Live 9-10 MST on a Christian Station out of Colorado.

Yes this was the intent...

It's the same for me. On another forum I frequent I have almost 13k posts and have been a member for going on six years. Looking at old posts in a trade based industry forum like this is like looking in old pages of a diary. You're reading thoughts of an old you and they seem as foreign to you now as the distance you have traveled since then. You are a different person now with five years more experience and growth and change under your belt. So it acts as a reminder or gauge, letting us know how dynamic in nature and always evolving we are. Just part of life :)