Lectro UMCWB for bag use

mateuf

as i am looking for a bag based multicoupler for 4 ucr's , i am playing with the idea of disassembling a UMCWB and fitting the guts of this device in a sturdy custom housing with a footprint as small as possible.

before i get out saw and driller, i wanted to ask around if someone of you planned or even successfully finished such a modification.

greetings

or simply get a Mini-Circuit splitter ( the same recommended on the Lectrosonics site ) and a pair of Lectrosonics UFM250 rf amp. Same thing. Probably cheaper and much smaller. Also you would have the possibility of adjusting amplifer gain on the UFM but not on the UMCWB. Pretty cool for long cable run compensation.

Pascal

You can buy the MinCircuit splitter and UFM 230 amp from a Lectro dealer and save yourself some money (yay!) over the UMCWB. You get exactly the same performance as a gutted UMCWB (yay!) and don't pay us as much (rats!). You will need an extra power cable and two extra very short BNC to BNC cables (meh!).

Pascal's suggestion is the best way to go. I'll be glad to help with settings and details if you use the MiniCircuits.

Cheers,

Larry F

Lectro

or simply get a Mini-Circuit splitter ( the same recommended on the Lectrosonics site ) and a pair of Lectrosonics UFM250 rf amp. Same thing. Probably cheaper and much smaller. Also you would have the possibility of adjusting amplifer gain on the UFM but not on the UMCWB. Pretty cool for long cable run compensation.

Pascal

Yes.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/182-UFM230/View-details.html

Order the low version (U.S.) 470-700 MHz. We make some versions that cover higher foreign frequencies. The U.S. version doesn't need to and it reduces interference from the sold off bands.

Will a UFM230 fit block 470 units ?

For assembling, you'd need two splitters and two amps (one each per antenna) ?

So if I want to plug 6 receivers (just an example) to two dipoles (same block Rxs) or sharfins, I'd need two UFM230 amps and two ZFSC843 splitters*** ?

Also: using the low version of UFM, I'd be able to mount block 470 alongside blocks 20 to 22 on the same splitters, right ? (using sharkfins then )

Can't find a schematics of how everything gets plugged from receivers to antennas...

*** Following the same logic:

For two Rxs: ZSC24

For up to four Rxs: ZFSC41

You seem to have everything down perfectly but here is a simple wiring setup, with each of two antenna paths designated A or B. Assuming the cable distances for a bag system are all very short, it is antenna "A" through a short cable to a UFM230. Then a short cable to the input of the A splitter (4 or 8 channel as you described) and then short cables to the antenna A input of each receiver. Antenna B is the same exact setup, of course, going ultimately to the B input on each receiver. Working backwards you see that each receiver has two independent paths, A and B, to the independent (spaced) antennas. This preserves the diversity action.

Gotchas:

If you have long antenna cable runs, such as 50 feet or more of RG8 or 9913 or if you have 25 feet of smaller cable, the UFM230 should (must) be near the antenna.

Using the internal jumpers, select only (repeat only) enough gain in the UFM230 to make up losses between the UFM230 and the receiver antenna input.

The losses to consider are long cables between the UFM230 and the splitter plus the inherent splitter losses. Figure 7 dB of loss for the 4 way and 10 dB of loss for the 8 way. For a two way, don't bother with the 3.5 dB of loss with the complication of an amp.

Ignore connector losses. At these frequencies they are less than 0.15 dB.

Best Regards,

Larry F

For assembling, you'd need two splitters and two amps (one each per antenna) ?

So if I want to plug 6 receivers (just an example) to two dipoles (same block Rxs) or sharfins, I'd need two UFM230 amps and two ZFSC843 splitters*** ?

Also: using the low version of UFM, I'd be able to mount block 470 alongside blocks 20 to 22 on the same splitters, right ? (using sharkfins then )

Can't find a schematics of how everything gets plugged from receivers to antennas...

*** Following the same logic:

For two Rxs: ZSC24

For up to four Rxs: ZFSC41

We have a new product coming soon. At least as soon as I can get back on it and get it finished and into production. It will be called the PSC RF Multi SMA........also known as the "Scott Farr Special" Wide band UHF, built in remote antenna power (switchable), externally powered via a 4 pin Hirose. Price and delivery date to be determined. Hopefully I will have this into production by December of this year. Here is a photo of it: http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy123/psc4sound/psc%20equipment/rfsmafront.jpg

best regards

Ron Meyer

PSC

We have a new product coming soon. At least as soon as I can get back on it and get it finished and into production. It will be called the PSC RF Multi SMA........also known as the "Scott Farr Special" Wide band UHF, built in remote antenna power (switchable), externally powered via a 4 pin Hirose. Price and delivery date to be determined. Hopefully I will have this into production by December of this year. Here is a photo of it: http://i784.photobuc.../rfsmafront.jpg

best regards

Ron Meyer

PSC

Slick!

Is it an active split?

That looks excellent, I've been toying with the idea of building a very similar box but I would gladly buy that instead!

Would it be possible to order a 50MHz version rather than wideband?

-Rob

Hi Rob, It will not be possible to have 50Mhz bands, sorry.

Ron,

I am guessing that you will be selling SMA to BNC cables so you can use it with 411's?

We have a source for very nice pre-made cables of all types and lengths. I am not sure what we will be suppling as of yet.

so no need to trash a UMCWB ... :-)

thank you all for mentioning some less destructive approaches !

this new tool from psc looks indeed very interesting... what range does its wideband filter cover, ron ?

The current pre-production unit is operating wide band......450Mhz to 950Mhz. Production units will be 470Mhz to 720Mhz

Wondering if PSC could make a 4 way version of the splitter?

We are thinking about a 4 way version, but not until after the 8 way is finished. I am working on several projects right now as I am having to redesign a few of our older products due to parts going obsolete from the suppliers. Its taking up a great deal of my time at the moment.

Ron