Call Sheet practices

RadoStefanov

" Is there an unwritten rule for call sheets? "

actually, there are some written rules, but they probably don't apply to the jobs you are on...

one of the main basis for what time your call is the next day is what time you wrap on the day before, and your "turnaround", so projected (even printed) call times are often modified at wrap.

And if your shoot doesn't know the call time for the first day, this could indicate more problems to follow, although there may be some rare circumstances that could be involved...

I have gone to bed not knowing a call time, but usually because it's a 2nd unit, and they don't know when they'll wrap. But in those cases, I know it'll be a later call, and an estimate is given.

If they don't know you have a 6:30am call by 10pm the night before, you've got bigger problems! That's messed up.

Lately I have been receiving a Call Sheet email around 2AM for call time 6:30AM.

It is very inconvenient to go to bad without knowing what time to wake up.

Especially the first day.

Is there an unwritten rule for call sheets?

Thanks

Had that happen once. Told production it had to be a phone call not email before 11pm as I do not answer calls after 11am or before 7am. A crisis on their part does not constitute a crisis on your part.

Eric

I've had to phone production from the side of the motorway to say 'am I driving to London today or going to my mate's wedding up north', and had them reply that 'they are in a meeting trying to work out if they have a presenter' and I'm literally at the service staion with two different bags packed in the boot of the car! Shocking..

On that occasion though it turned out to be a great day in the end and as it was the second ever day I did for them I wanted to do the job and consolidate on the successful first day a fortnight earlier. It was the right thing for me then and led to a very good relationship with a client that I love working for.

So sometimes you gotta take the rough with the smooth. But it aint what I call a professional way to do things. I all to often have no address and I'm setting off for London. Now I call them and push a little but there's no point trying to change people. They would have the details if they could. It's not because they don't care; that they aren't organised.

I just ask myself .. In the knowledge that they can't change and I won't benefit from trying to change them, do I still want to work for them? In this particular case I do because they get me great gigs that I enjoy.

Try telling them nicely that you need to know before you go to bed. No point getting cross at them though. cheers as some people say; my two pennies worth..

For companies I don't know, or a few that I do know that have proven to be unreliable, If I haven't had a call sheet by the close of business the day before the job, I assume it's cancelled, and email the appropriate invoice over, that usually prompts a decision. I'm not going to sit around waiting for people to decide if they want to shoot or not. I'm not so desperate for work that I let the whims and indecision of people I've never met rule my life.

For the majority of my clients, who I trust and respect, if they say the need me tomorrow, but don't have the details, then I'll wait for the call.

I worked on a job for a visiting US client last year, it was a shambolic production from beginning to end, we'd shot for a week or so, and had two days off, I heard nothing from them over the two days, then got a phone call at 3AM, from a drunk sounding producer, telling me the call time was 6.30AM, that's right, in 3 and a half hours time, in a city 2 hours drive from my home. I laughed out loud, told him I admired his optimism, put the phone down and went back to bed.

My worst problems with this are with large commercial productions from out of town who have brought a large entourage with them from wherever. The important info about the shoot ricochets around their hotel, and everyone then assumes that everyone who needs to know something does (and goes off clubbing for the evening etc). The imported department heads or their seconds usually make contact with their local crews themselves (ie all the rest of the depts except sound). Me they often forget about until very late, unless I call them about it (or call someone else local who I know is on the job). I often find the production office people annoyed by my call(s), for whatever cause or issue from their childhood etc etc. These are usually the same jobs in which it has been VERY difficult to get any real info at all--the people who call or will talk to me if I call don't know anything (are far down the food chain) and the higher ups either won't commit or aren't available (that clubbing thing again). I have been known to try my luck on the phone and email and text a few different times hoping to get someone conscientious or at least sympathetic, so I can know if we're going to be on a stage or in a muddy field in the rain, and what time I might be wanted on location....

phil p