Vintage VHF wireless...

curleysound

I love to tinker, and recently bought 3 Audio Ltd. VHF units from Ebay. It was totally on spec, and I realize that at around 28 years old, they might not be worth the powder to blow them to Hell, but I'm willing to see what I can make of them. If anyone here had Audio Ltd VHF wireless from around 30 years ago, I'd love to hear from you re: the ins and out of them, as there were no manuals or any documentation with them. They came with 3 xmtrs,  and 2 receivers, one of which was a dual channel receiver, which I never knew existed before Zaxcom! :)

I'll provide pics when I can.

Thanks,

Tom

www.curleysound.com

They were ok, back in the day (those clear sky RF days!).  The dual channel RX was popular w/ doco guys since it was a lot smaller than two Vega or HME RX of that time.  I worked for a mixer who had some, and they worked fine.  I ended up going with American made wireless when I bought my first because they seemed to work just as well and were cheaper than the Audios.  Those old VHF pre-Lectro untis needed frequent servicing--I recall taking my Swinteks down to the factory several times a year and having a local tech touch up my Vegas often after.  That was the big change w/ Lectro--stability.  Anyhow, you might ask about the Audio manuals etc over on the AMPS forum--lots of British mixers there who probably had Audios like that back then.

Philip Perkins

Guest tourtelot

One of the dual Audios was my first wireless.  It had the amazing habit of working fine until the camera rolled and then taking a big dump.  I really don't think it ever had anything to do with the camera; no RF video transmitters to f**k things up in those days!  Just perverse.

One day, on a critical scene, it took it's dump for the last time.  I walked over to the set-edge apple box that it was sitting on, calmly unplugged it and then threw it into a brick wall with all my might.  No more problems with the Audio Ltd after that.

Off-topic, anyone in New Mexico know about the mysterious Blk. 21-22 interference blanket that shows up and then magically disappears?  A big black horizon on my Lecnet scans, cuts my range to nothing across both blocks and the goes away for days on end?  The techs in Rio Rancho don't have a clue either.  Too large for a DTV signal, two whole blocks (and beyond?).  Maybe gov't or military, but it made me pull out all my tricks last week and become a little more visable to the production than I like to be the other day.  Screwy!