More from Peter Jackson and The Hobbit

All those rigs, as he explains are because some are permanently mounted on cranes, or handheld or for Steadicam -- there are two units shooting. Each rig is two Reds - and he has back up cameras too - so it all adds up pretty fast.

What Jackson does demonstrate is that this is a huge production. More importantly, I like how Peter Jackson acknowledges all the below the line categories and includes them in his videos.

Hammond Peek CAS was the Production Mixer on The Frighteners,LOTR and King Kong....Tony Johnson CAS is doing The Hobbit...I did a small section of second unit on The Frighteners and King Kong...its quite an experience to work on...the creative excellence that is there is mind blowing..no limits..

The reason for the number of Reds is that each camera has been pre set for the specific lenses on them so they are all calibrated exactly...so instead of changing lenses, you change cameras..the ability to go between positive and negative 3D is amazing.

BVS

48 fps seems odd. Am I to assume it'll be played back at 48 fps also? And are theaters set up for that?

They can be, with certain newer projectors and updated firmware. The idea is that faster frame rates deliver smoother motion. Jim Cameron is convinced that frame rate is more important than sharpness, and he makes some good points.

I have no doubt that theater owners who got "stuck" with 2005-generation D-cinema projectors will be grumbling a lot about having to toss those out and buy new ones. And I sympathize with the people down under who have to deal with massive, massive amounts of data on this project. I agree, the behind-the-scenes doc is amazing -- even a good mix, with music!

--Marc W.

There is an entire thread on the 48 Frame concept on this site, started back in April.

Thanks Richard... just read that string... WOW! I can feel my brain swirling with knew technological information... It's great to know that the process of filmmaking over the years, while telling stories and entertaining the world, is still a huge part of our human evolution and mental growth. Sometimes it blows me away that some sound mixers aren't NASA engineers on the side or sound mixers on the side and rocket scientists as their main career... or perhaps they are? =P Thanks again.

JT