More from Peter Jackson and The Hobbit

Create space in layers...I used to work with an old 8 ball mic..it had what amounted to a double tea strainer that screwed on over the mic..two layers separated by space in between..worked very well...all metal in those days...think about material like the filter in your clothes dryer for sifting the lint from the air.

BVS

Corrin Ellingford is the boom operator on The Hobbit.

He was main unit boom on Rings and King Kong.

I have worked with him many times and he is a wonderful worker, and got a wicked sense of humour.

They have only a team of 3 people and have to rig dozens of radios each morning!

I wish Tony and Corrin all the best for their year and a half of hard work.

mike

There is an entire thread on the 48 Frame concept on this site, started back in April.

Thanks for that Richard! Finally catching up with all this. That answered all my questions. Can't wait to see how this 48fps workflow permeates our business in the future. I had often wondered about recording and playing back at higher rates would work and what effect it would have. It makes a lot of sense now.

• 4 weeks later...

A tool is a tool. I think it's pretty much at a breaking point nowadays with cameras where it really doesn't matter what camera you use (Red or Alexa) - a pro can make a beautiful film with either one using the right techniques and abilities of the DOP.

For example - District 9 looked great, shot on a Red

then, correct me if I'm wrong, "Skyline" didn't look too hot, also shot on the Red... But that's merely my humble opinion.