Sound recordist handbook

Ed Denton

Hi all,

I'm essentially a self taught soundo; everything I know is from learning on set and reading through forums such as this. I'm looking for some literature that I can read to get a more technical understanding of sound. Searching on amazon books and other sites I've found a number of books such as the sound engineers handbook, etc. However all the books I've found are either outdated (written in the DAT days) or tailored to the music studio sound engineer. Does anyone know of any good books that are aimed at the production sound mixer? Ideally I'd like information on things such as how interference tubes work, timecode operation, servo wiring of lavs, transformer vs transformerless preamps etc. The kind of thing that every Soundo should know. Obviously there's not a 'sound bible' that covers everything there is to know about production sound but if anyone knows of some up-to-date books that you have found useful then please let me know.

Ed

Location Audio Simplified by S. Dean Miles

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=768

This book is up to date and very useful. I bought a few and lend them out to various folks who ask me how to get better audio. It is a great starting point and covers thing that many people don't understand like Wireless Camera links and RF stuff. There are excerpts on Trew audio site

Thanks guys those both look like great books. The location audio simplified book looks like it is exactly what I was after, very specific information about location recording. The sound reinforcement handbook looks like it's more general but appears to have some great info about dissemination of sound in other ways such as live music and room setup. I'll be putting an order in for both. Cheers!

John Fielden, a production sound mixer, has a couple of books, as well:

some of the things you mentioned quickly go beyond The kind of thing that every Soundo knows, like how interference tube microphone acoustics actually work, other things are product specific like servo wiring Lectrosonics TX's (HAT -- actually just search their very informative website and FAQ's).

Lists of appropriate books, including books by Tom Holeman and others have been posted elsewhere on jwsound.

and lastly, remember: it takes years of experience to get years of experience!

here is the klist of suggested reading I give my students (the schools ' libraries keep these books available)

• Stanley R. Alten, Audio in Media: Cengage Learning www.wadsworth.com. $118.39 costly, but thorough, a required text in other school’s programs, in our library
  • David Yewdall: Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound, Focal Press $37.75
  • John Purcell, Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art this one covers a lot of production sound issues, and fixing them in post(paper) $49.95
  • Tomlinson Holman: Sound for Television and Film, Focal Press, the author is “Mr. THX”, excellent choice! $57.95* (new edition Mar 2010)
  • Tomlinson Holman: Sound for Digital Video (paperback), Focal Press $46.95*
  • Jay Rose: Producing Great Sound for Film & Digital Video and Audio Post-Production for Film & Video Online: http://www.dplay.com/book/index.html CMP Books, reasonably priced. $44.95 each.
  • S. Dean Miles, Location Audio Simplified. realworldaudio (available at Location Sound – tell ‘em you’re from Columbia and they’ll give you a discount!). Official Website: www.locationaudiosimplified.com (free samples from book). $55.00
  • John Fielden, Roll Sound A Practical Guide for Location Sound –and--
  • John Fielden, Videographers’ Audio Handbook (this one is full of great tips!) www.rollsound.myplanetpress.com

Edited by studiomprd

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to add the most recent book, which is Richard Patton's Sound Man: An Introduction to the Art, Science and Business of Location Sound, published by Trew Audio. There's some very good stuff in there. I got a kick out of the fact that the first chapter is devoted entirely to business and how to make sure you get paid. Some very wise words in there.

--Marc W.

Two I'd recommend as reference material are:

Handbook for Sound Engineers, Fourth Edition by Glen Ballou

Sound System Engineering, Third Edition by Don Davis and Eugene Patronis

Sound System Engineering's appendix on proper wiring technique and system assembly is a great resource. Both books explain acoustics, how sound propagates, musical instruments and much more. Not really how-to books but valuable resources nonetheless.

Best regards,

Jim

John Fielden, a production sound mixer, has a couple of books, as well:

some of the things you mentioned quickly go beyond The kind of thing that every Soundo knows, like how interference tube microphone acoustics actually work, other things are product specific like servo wiring Lectrosonics TX's (HAT -- actually just search their very informative website and FAQ's).

Lists of appropriate books, including books by Tom Holeman and others have been posted elsewhere on jwsound.

and lastly, remember: it takes years of experience to get years of experience!

here is the klist of suggested reading I give my students (the schools ' libraries keep these books available)

• Stanley R. Alten, Audio in Media: Cengage Learning www.wadsworth.com. $118.39 costly, but thorough, a required text in other school’s programs, in our library
  • David Yewdall: Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound, Focal Press $37.75
  • John Purcell, Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art this one covers a lot of production sound issues, and fixing them in post(paper) $49.95
  • Tomlinson Holeman: Sound for Television and Film, Focal Press, the author is “Mr. THX”, excellent choice! $57.95* (new edition Mar 2010)
  • Tomlinson Holeman: Sound for Digital Video (paperback), Focal Press $46.95*
  • Jay Rose: Producing Great Sound for Film & Digital Video and Audio Post-Production for Film & Video Online: http://www.dplay.com/book/index.html CMP Books, reasonably priced. $44.95 each.
  • S. Dean Miles, Location Audio Simplified. realworldaudio (available at Location Sound – tell ‘em you’re from Columbia and they’ll give you a discount!). Official Website: www.locationaudiosimplified.com (free samples from book). $55.00
  • John Fielden, Roll Sound A Practical Guide for Location Sound –and--
  • John Fielden, Videographers’ Audio Handbook (this one is full of great tips!) www.rollsound.myplanetpress.com

Tomlinson Holman (not holeman).

Points off.