Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

" was told to buy the highest I can find. That answer didn't sound very conclusive to me "

and why not ??

the Nomad doesn't have long run times on AA's, even Lithium, so the advice is sound...

just make certain they fit OK --there is a separate discussion of NiMH AA size

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using rechargeables with their Nomad??? If so, which brand and output are they? I called Zaxcom asking which mA batteries I should get and was told to buy the highest I can find. That answer didn't sound very conclusive to me so I figured I'd ask everyone here.

Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I just bought some ERX1TCD's and was told that my firmware needs to be updated due to a timecode drift issue. How bad of a problem is this? I'm not able to update my ERX with my Nomad so I have to go to my vendor to see if they can help.

I've been using imedion 2100mah nimh so far, and am happy. I should note I do not run on the internals until my np1 goes dead, and then only until I am able to swap it out.

What firmware are your erx's on?

Wandering Ear

I think it should be made clear that yes, this is a great way to keep things neat and tidy on the mirror card, but if you happen to forget

to enable whatever track on the primary card nothing will be written to the mirror card for that and all subsequent takes. As a safety, since I usually only record up to 5 tracks, I leave them enabled on the primary card and toggle them as needed to the mirror.

This sounds like a good plan for backup, but when you mirror don't you end up mirroring empty tracks?

Regarding mirroring, my Nomad shows "Mirroring (100%)" even after recording new segments that haven't been mirrored. They all get mirrored when I turn mirroring on, but this seems like a bug to me. Any one else experiencing this? I'm on firmware 3.00A.

Mark O.

This sounds like a good plan for backup, but when you mirror don't you end up mirroring empty tracks?

Regarding mirroring, my Nomad shows "Mirroring (100%)" even after recording new segments that haven't been mirrored. They all get mirrored when I turn mirroring on, but this seems like a bug to me. Any one else experiencing this? I'm on firmware 3.00A.

Mark O.

The way I read it it's not a bug, it means the files you have chosen to mirror were mirrored completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , i just got my erx1tcd. just want to clarify some things. i cant find on my nomad 6 on the encryption of audio..like how the erx does..does that mean nomad cant encrypt?..or am i missing something.

after splitting TC n audio..the audio level drops significantly on the erx1tcd output..is that normal?

thanks

just

For line level..yeah..not enough gain..had to switch to mic and gain down on the nomad and erx itself.

the camera dept love it thou! not taking too much of their space n lesser weight. I love it!

Anyway to boost the zaxnet 2.4 ghz signal?.. the range is quite limited within 20-25ft.

thanks

hmm..i ordered the cable to be 3.5mm to split into left right... where 1 side bnc the other another 3.5mm.. i did not see how it was done thou, coz i trusted him. you think its the cable?.

Its not a big deal actually..i can live with it. :)

Love it..shld have gotten the 5pack..haha

Okay, question.. my nomad 6 froze during mirroring files and gave off a 5-7k squeak tone. after power cycle..the mirroring was aborted..so i restarted mirroring the last file onwards..everything seems fine.

So the question is..what if after power cycle and mirroring aborted..i simply just on the mirroring from there and continue..is there a repeat?..or does it continue?..or copy a whole new file?

Okay, question.. my nomad 6 froze during mirroring files and gave off a 5-7k squeak tone. after power cycle..the mirroring was aborted..so i restarted mirroring the last file onwards..everything seems fine.

So the question is..what if after power cycle and mirroring aborted..i simply just on the mirroring from there and continue..is there a repeat?..or does it continue?..or copy a whole new file?

Sounds like the symptoms of an older version of software. Upgrade to 3.07 and you should be fine.

hmm..i ordered the cable to be 3.5mm to split into left right... where 1 side bnc the other another 3.5mm.. i did not see how's it was done thou, coz i trusted him. you think its the cable?.

Its not a big deal actually..i can live with it. :)

Love it..shld have gotten the 5pack..haha

The cable should be wired that'd the tip and the ring should be separated and they should share the ground.

Chances are the cable is going to be fine. It is more likely an ERX setting issue.

As for the setting on the ERX what is your TC output level set to and what is your volume mode and max volume set to?

The cable should be wired that'd the tip and the ring should be separated and they should share the ground. Chances are the cable is going to be fine. It is more likely an ERX setting issue. As for the setting on the ERX what is your TC output level set to and what is your volume mode and max volume set to?

its set to 23 db..the highest i can go...and fixed to the highest vol. not variable.

as for my nomad 6..its currently on 3.07ver. done it last week. froze again today. i suspect it is over heating coz when i restart..the temp was 119.. thought that was high. am using petrol 614 where everything was snug fit. put a small box in between and, so far so good..will try again tomorro.