Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After updating the software did you do a reset factory default?

This brings to mind a question that i have had for some time.

If you reset to factory defaults, and restore from saved settings, are there any settings that you have to manually reset to have your machine identical to the way it was before it was reset?

Thanks for all of the time you spend in this forum.

Paul

>>{ERX}is set to 23 db..the highest i can go...and fixed to the highest vol. not variable.

I have not heard or a problem with a drop in level on the ERX but maybe it has to do with you maxed out settings. Can you tru lowering the output by 10dB and see if it still drops? Maybe the TC volume setting does not know about the newer limits of the output level setting and is overriding it.

>>as for my nomad 6..its currently on 3.07ver. froze again today. i suspect it is over heating coz when i restart..the temp was 119.

It should run fine at 120F, It could just be an intermittant problem with your DSP board also. I would do a factory restore defaults if you have not done so recently and see if that helps.

-howy

If you reset to factory defaults, and restore from saved settings, are there any settings that you have to manually reset to have your machine identical to the way it was before it was reset?

The Input Configure Mode previously would not be reset, but in recent software (3.00?) now it is also reset. So the answer is "everything is reset" as long as you are running current software.

NOTE: if you are restoring factory defualts for the purpose of preventing flaky behaviour due to a corrupted setting then recalling a preset from memory defeats that purpose since the corrupted setting would probably be restored into the machine.

Also, you dont have to do a factory restore every time you update the software. Only if you suspect the machine is acting funny.

-howy

This brings to mind a question that i have had for some time.

Thanks for all of the time you spend in this forum.

Paul

After updating the software I always start from scratch. I do not import saved settings. Things may be fine but as Howy said you can potentially import some weirdness. I find that it doesn't take too long to reset the settings so better safe than sorry.

I'm curious about the "new" dsp boards. What has changed and what issues are potentially eliminated with the new boards?

Nothing has changed.

All nomads - new and old - have the same dsp boards. At some point not that long ago there was a slight delay in delivery of new nomads because Zaxcom was waiting for "new dsp boards". The new boards wasn't a new design it was a ”new shipment" of boards from the supplier.

So basically it is just a misunderstanding regarding the word "new".

From what I recall, this particular misunderstanding started when someone said they were looking forward to the arrival of their Nomad at their dealer. The dealer had told them the delay was due to Zaxcom awaiting arrival of new DSP boards, meaning, of course, another shipment of the same DSP boards that they had been installing all along (which may, or may not, have incorporated minor changes as I mention below), and that they needed the boards to finish assembling the Nomads.

Knee-jerk reactions being the default mode of operation for many internet inhabitants, some users immediately began asking, "What new DSP boards?" "What's been changed?" "How do I get the new one?" and insisting that they wanted the latest and greatest.

And that's how rumors start.

I have a newsflash: There may, or may not, be minor (once in a while, major) changes to the circuit boards in new shipments of any device you own. If you've ever looked on the circuit boards of a piece of equipment that's been shipping for any length of time you will notice things printed on the boards, including such notations as "Rev.B", "Rev. C", etc. It's common practice for manufacturers to make minor (and, once in a while, major) improvements in the gear they produce without ever asking all their users if it's okay. Hence, the phrase, "The manufacturer reserves the right to make changes or modifications to these specifications without notice."

If your equipment is operating properly, enjoy it. If not, get it fixed. If you absolutely cannot sleep at night unless you're convinced that you have the absolute, latest, greatest, most recent version of a piece of gear, buy a new one every day, week, month, or year -- whichever you can afford that satifies that obsessive need.

Otherwise, put the gear to work and make a living.

I updated from 3.06 to 3.07 without a factory reset and my Nomad runs smoothly and without any problems. For me no more need to restore all the settings.

It basically comes down to what changes are in the new software. Between 3.06 & 3.07 there wasn't any major changes. And even if there are major changes you still may be fine if you don't do a restore.

Essentially the short answerer is if you notice any weirdness after updating then do a factory restore.

In the case of the Nomad, having the "latest and greatest" happens to be pretty important since the earlier versions had to be sent back to the factory to get multiple hardware updates. The "latest and greatest" would include- new power switches that aren't prone to failure, removal of a chip that caused phantom powering to overload the whole unit, extra shielding to prevent excessive rf bleed, and mix 8 compatibility.

I wasn't one of the people concerned with the potential new boards, but I can understand why others would be. You did however spin it into a insulting rant which you have a quite the knack for.

From what I recall, this particular misunderstanding started when someone said they were looking forward to the arrival of their Nomad at their dealer. The dealer had told them the delay was due to Zaxcom awaiting arrival of new DSP boards, meaning, of course, another shipment of the same DSP boards that they had been installing all along (which may, or may not, have incorporated minor changes as I mention below), and that they needed the boards to finish assembling the Nomads.

Knee-jerk reactions being the default mode of operation for many internet inhabitants, some users immediately began asking, "What new DSP boards?" "What's been changed?" "How do I get the new one?" and insisting that they wanted the latest and greatest.

And that's how rumors start.

I have a newsflash: There may, or may not, be minor (once in a while, major) changes to the circuit boards in new shipments of any device you own. If you've ever looked on the circuit boards of a piece of equipment that's been shipping for any length of time you will notice things printed on the boards, including such notations as "Rev.B", "Rev. C", etc. It's common practice for manufacturers to make minor (and, once in a while, major) improvements in the gear they produce without ever asking all their users if it's okay. Hence, the phrase, "The manufacturer reserves the right to make changes or modifications to these specifications without notice."

If your equipment is operating properly, enjoy it. If not, get it fixed. If you absolutely cannot sleep at night unless you're convinced that you have the absolute, latest, greatest, most recent version of a piece of gear, buy a new one every day, week, month, or year -- whichever you can afford that satifies that obsessive need.

Otherwise, put the gear to work and make a living.

In the case of the Nomad, having the "latest and greatest" happens to be pretty important since the earlier versions had to be sent back to the factory to get multiple hardware updates. The "latest and greatest" would include- new power switches that aren't prone to failure, removal of a chip that caused phantom powering to overload the whole unit, extra shielding to prevent excessive rf bleed, and mix 8 compatibility.

I wasn't one of the people concerned with the potential new boards, but I can understand why others would be. You did however spin it into a insulting rant which you have a quite the knack for.

Based on your comments, you apparently missed the point and appear to have read the "rant" with rather selective eyes. I understand the issues Nomad owners have encountered. That's not what I was addressing.

I, too, am a Nomad owner. I hope you're enjoying yours.

I wonder how many users know that there are different versions of hardware and firmware for their beloved Lectrosonics devices? Ever notice the firmware version when a 411a powers on? Changes have been made that do affect the operation of those devices. Most of us won't notice the difference. Lectrosonics hardly makes a mention about it, and why should they? They have the right to improve their products without your knowledge or approval.

If you have doubts or concerns about your Nomad I strongly suggest that you contact Zaxcom and tell them. Protesting here is not the best way to get support for your product.

http://www.zaxcom.com/

Phone: 973-835-5000

Contact page: http://www.zaxcom.com/contact

Technical question page: http://www.zaxcom.co...hnical-question

Mark O.

Jason hit it on the head, I actually do feel, just that way. Thank you.

Hearing about power switches (by the way, not knowing if everytime i turn my machine on or off it might the last time the switch engages is tough...) the phantom power chip issue etc.. I see, "new" dsp boards and I wonder; how is it new? do I need that? Is it my dsp board that contributes to the crashes and tone blast through all outputs that I've experienced. Maybe. I don't know.

If I'm not ON TOP of these things they will bite me at some point. Its not like zaxcom is sending out recall notices or emails to owners about new switches or info about hardware upgrades. We HAVE to ask.

I'm keeping tabs on software updates and hope that will continue to inspire more confidence.

Meanwhile, asking about "new" dsp boards is not obsessive, it's actually an effort that potentially could contribute to "getting my machine fixed".

I understand the points you are making John but you did include a negative twist at the end there for sure.

Jason hit it on the head, I actually do feel, just that way. Thank you.

Hearing about power switches (by the way, not knowing if everytime i turn my machine on or off it might the last time the switch engages is tough...) the phantom power chip issue etc.. I see, "new" dsp boards and I wonder; how is it new? do I need that? Is it my dsp board that contributes to the crashes and tone blast through all outputs that I've experienced. Maybe. I don't know.

If I'm not ON TOP of these things they will bite me at some point. Its not like zaxcom is sending out recall notices or emails to owners about new switches or info about hardware upgrades. We HAVE to ask.

I'm keeping tabs on software updates and hope that will continue to inspire more confidence.

Meanwhile, asking about "new" dsp boards is not obsessive, it's actually an effort that potentially could contribute to "getting my machine fixed".

I understand the points you are making John but you did include a negative twist at the end there for sure.

What is your nomads serial number?

Fair enough. However, following my main point a bit longer, it is misinformation perpetuated from rumors that makes users like yourself feel more apprehensive about their gear. Such issues easily get blown out of proportion and people reading them often lose perspective. If everyone posting about issues was dutifully accurate with the information they spread, it would be a different case. But, as my post was addressing, they aren't. Instead, many of the posts are often emotional reactions rather than helpful, and accurate, information.

Even in chastising me, an earlier poster insisted, "...since the earlier versions had to be sent back to the factory to get multiple hardware updates."

This is not accurate and perpetuates a misconception. The fact is that SOME of the earlier machines had issues like power switches from a bad batch Zaxcom had received, that required immediate attention. The machine requiring a hardware change to implement a Mix-8, however, has no affect on a user who doesn't wish to add that accessory, and it doesn't pose any dependability issues for the user. The phantom power thing also does not make the machine undependable. It's a known issue and can therefore be dealt with without panic.

I'm pretty sure you'd find that the facts are that most of the true dependability issues have been resolved with software updates.

The more accurate truth is that most Nomads are purring along nicely and many people are using this tool to generate income with minimal incident. When you live on the cutting edge you've got to expect a little bit of bleeding. The problem only comes when it's life-threatening.

Thus, my call for fewer knee-jerk reactions, and more thought-out and accurate reports. It'll help us all.

NOTE: I plan to get my fairly-early Nomad fully hardware updated at some point, but until that time, I expect it to serve me well. (If it doesn't I may yell and get emotional. <g>)