Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

That's true, I may do it this afternoon.

I suppose I could run a cable from the tc output into an input and use that to get tc to one of my tracks for transcription. hmmm.

But be sure to make clear a shooting procedure: warn camera operator to stop AFTER you stop the recorder (so you'll have to call "sound cut!") Otherwise there will be overlapped TC on audio files.

Unless "Autoload" is now implemented in a way that Nomad will go to stop state when incoming TC stops running, of course.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for the replies. Glad to know it's working well for people.

How does autoload react if you have prerecord turned on? I don't plan on it, but prerecord is one of those things I usually leave on at around 3 seconds, and I would probably forget to turn it off if I wasn't thinking this through before getting on set.

Last time I used record run and had pre roll on - this was a few revisions ago - the timecode was offset by the pre roll amount. Once I turned pre roll off, all was good and I had no problems.

You'll have to check the revision history that comes with the update file to see if pre roll has been disabled automatically when in record run. Though you can easily check this in the timecode reader page.

I'm curious to hear about the Nomad display from those using it in and around sunlight.

Thanks.

Glen Trew

I've been using mine outside for a few sunny middays in Detroit, and let me tell you... the screen is pretty hard to read. *I of course have it at max.

Even putting my hand over it was still hard to see (and that's a pain when boom op'ing). I actually chose not to wear my sunglasses both days because it made the display that much harder to see.

I personally hope Zaxcom improves the display's brightness by picking a better one or something.

I knew ahead of time that I would be working in the bright sunlight, so the night before the shoot I built a prototype "hoodman" for my Nomad screen. Using showcard, a ruler, an exacto knife, gaff tape, velcro and a six pack of beer, I created an effective tool for shielding the (unfortunately) unfriendly LCD screen.

I know I shouldn't have to do this. I know that the screen should work in every environment... I know.

But, I work with what I'm given and other than the screen issue, my Nomad 8 is a nearly perfect machine.

Here are a couple pics of the work in progress. It may not seem like much, but the key is a 30degree pitched angle that enables me to see the screen while I wear the bag, as well as provide extra shielding from direct sunlight.

post-4040-0-72040400-1340722372.jpg

post-4040-0-52276300-1340722401.jpg

Are there ANY color screens that are good in direct sunlight? I mean any device out there, not just sound gear. Seriously asking. There is a reason $4,000 monitors still use hoods, right? As much as I like my iPad, if I had a beach house, I would buy a kindle or nook for beach reading. The iPad sucks in bright sun, even with it's super awesome retina display.

Are you guys comparing the Nomad color screen to a LCD display (like the 744/788 uses)? The nature of LCD displays is that they are better in bright sunlight, but you give up color and resolution. They also use very little power. That's why they have worked great for digital watches for 30+ years. That might be a consideration if you spend most of your time doing sunlight exteriors. I just spent a few days near the beach with my Fusion, and it was definitely usable. I had to use my hand to shade the screen a few times, but it works. I would rather have the color screen.

Idiot question:

The Nomad 6 is 6 Input and 8 Track recorder (6 ISO and Left, Right)?

Because is ideal for me this.

End of idiot question. Thank you!

:)

Nope. Number in the name defines the number of record tracks. If you need 6 iso and 2 mix the you need nomad 8.

Btw, all nomads have 10 analogue inputs, and nomad 6 and up have 8 digital inputs (6 if using Zaxnet IFB)

Nope. Number in the name defines the number of record tracks. If you need 6 iso and 2 mix the you need nomad 8.

Btw, all nomads have 10 analogue inputs, and nomad 6 and up have 8 digital inputs (6 if using Zaxnet IFB)

Thank you!

That's one of the interesting features... even a Nomad 4 is a 10 input mixer. You have up to 4 tracks of recording, but you can also configure the outputs any way you want. The software routing was one thing that made me fall in love with the Zaxcom products. It made the previous 20 years of patch bays and unplugging cables seems really out of date.

So, I'm on version 3.06 and have noticed my Nomad giving me some issues at startup. Iv'e had the screen freeze (although it was easily fixed by turning the unit off/on again) and I also had one of my faders reverse on me (turned all the way to the right faded down and turning left faded up).

Anyone else have this problem?

So, I'm on version 3.06 and have noticed my Nomad giving me some issues at startup. Iv'e had the screen freeze (although it was easily fixed by turning the unit off/on again) and I also had one of my faders reverse on me (turned all the way to the right faded down and turning left faded up).

Anyone else have this problem?

I'd download version 3.07. No problems for me. It's on the zaxcom forum. If you haven't registered, pm me and I'll email you the firmware.

That said, my first instinct would be to restore settings to default in case there was a problem upgrading the software from the last version.

Are there any articles on auto trim I can look at? The Zaxcom manual doesn't even touch auto trim...which is absolutely insane as I immediately think of how horrible Zoom's auto feature is. Just want to know more before I leave it on.