Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got nomad knobs onto my fusion. You're right about the set screws being 180 degrees off the flat part of the "D", but if you use a little lock tite (blue, or the non-perminate) and a good snug, they'll work just fine.

Could somebody please specify which size hexagon key (preferably in mm) is needed for the Nomad knobs? One of mine has come a bit loose and I don't have one that fits.

Anyone have the TRX900LA's yet? I just bought two of them and I'm trying to figure out how to setup the Nomad to remotely adjust the gain. I figured I'd post this question tonight and <hat> tomorrow if no one answers before then.

I'm curious about the same thing. I have two on their way to me right now. I can't wait!

Changing the gain is very simple, the trick is to set the correct remote ID's on the transmitters then select them in the Zaxnet menu on the Nomad and adjust the gain (and also the frequency which can be a life saver if you are hit with RF interferrence - you can swap frequencies mid take if you are clever enough!)

Changing the gain is very simple, the trick is to set the correct remote ID's on the transmitters then select them in the Zaxnet menu on the Nomad and adjust the gain (and also the frequency which can be a life saver if you are hit with RF interferrence - you can swap frequencies mid take if you are clever enough!)

Yes, you were right!

It was very easy to do.

Steps:

1. Set transmitters to correct remote ID

2. Push Zaxnet button

3. Select track and adjust accordingly.

This has been something that we all have thought would be a nice addition (since we have had this feature, remote gain control, on the Deva with Zaxnet for quite some time). I agree it would be nice to have a numeric display for accuracy and repeatability but I have gotten used to not having it. Using my ears, again, to know that I have lowered or raised the gain and then just treating like the gain control (trim pots) on my analog mixer (Cooper) which give me only physical knob position to judge what the actual setting is.

i asked Howy about display the gain number on the nomad's zax-net page,he said the number display on our QRX's screen gain number on control page is sent from TRX by audio stream to QRX receiver. Nomad can't get it.

so i suggest him at least can allow the non-ifb version qrx can have that gain number display too,so at least we can SEE it's changing.

but just like Jeff pointed out there, even just 1dB changing you will be able to tell that the gain is changing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a basic question.

Scenario:

The editor has requested that I send him a two track mix (lavs on 1 and booms on 2). Since I'm using two lavs and a boom I setup my Nomad to record tracks 3&4/lavs on track 1 (post-fade), track 5/boom on track 2 (post-fade), and all the iso's pre-fade . I'm only handing over the mirror card to the DIT guy with tracks 1 and 2, while I keep the iso's for post-sound.

Question:

Do I still have to adjust the levels on tracks 1 & 2 or will they be set to whatever my faders are set at on tracks 3 to 5?

I hope this makes sense.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sometimes when I try formatting the primary card the Nomad gets stuck and I end up having to reboot. On the second try it usually works fine but it sure would be nice if this didn't happen at all.

That shouldn't be happening - its probably a funky card. Does it happen with different cards? What version of software are you running?

That shouldn't be happening - its probably a funky card. Does it happen with different cards? What version of software are you running?

I'm using a Transcend 133X 16GB card. I haven't tried other cards since the one I'm using was the "recommended card" to get.

I'm on the latest version firmware version.

A while back - the 16GB cards were having formating issues while the 8, 32 and 64GB didn't. Though with the latest software this issue was fixed and to the best of my knowledge there haven't been any complaints about the 16GB recently and most people are using the 16GB. The Transcends have been and continue to be very stable in Nomad. If you can try with another card. And If you have a 32 or 64GB card try that as well.

My guess is it is an issue with that particular card.

Recently received my Nomad and am plowing through the manual. Rather stumped by the monitor preset section. I want to set up presets like my regular 552/sqn monitor modes - Stereo, Left, Right. Mono etc that will follow my track panning when I'm working in an ENG style. So far all I can seem to do is send different channels and tracks to each ear that don't follow my track panning at all.

What am I doing wrong?