Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what Rado said. just dont hit the limiters too hard.

i have my card and output limiter set the same. and at the same threshold (-4dB i think)

I must admit I'm not used to having input limiters. My outputs and card are at -4. I was trying to emulate the SQN with a 1ms attack and 50 decay but it's not really the same. How are you working the ratio?

I don't run my input limiters at all, but my card and output limiters are 4:1 1ms attack, 30ms release. I try not to hit them very hard, but I never hear them with at 2 or 3db of reduction.

Any limiter when hit hard will impart a noticable difference in the sound. For me, it was all about playing around with the timing. I found the faster settings with a little lower threshold provided better protection from clipping while activating less during speech.

" compression ratio to 1.3:1, so the limiter is completely invisible "

Q: what is the difference between a compressor (compression) and a limiter (limiting) ??

A: limiting is just compression, set at <infinity> : 1

not only is 1.3:1 pretty invisible, it isn't much of anything... it isn't near limiting, and thus it isn't protection against going above a threshold. At that rate, an input increase to the circuit of 1.3 dB results in an output change of 1dB

You are in unshifted mode. Go to the mode menu and go to shifted.

I hadn't been using the slate till recently, so I liked going into record with the quick button push thus the unshifted mode. Thanks for the help! Another slate question: Is there a way to route the sync beep to say an external speaker? I tried the headphone 2 out but the signal wasn't very strong. Using the mono or tape out caused feedback issues. Maybe I just need a louder battery powered speaker.

Interesting...

So is this common to find on set or just on very hectic shoots like some reality shoots?

Out of interest, was there more than one sound recordist.

Sorry for the mini thread hijack

Yes, I am used to hearing it in reality TV. Sometimes the only mixer on location will get the title. For example, I worked on a traveling show that had 2 traveling sound people, then hired a few locals to fill out the crew. The sound supervisor is (often) an actual mixer with a similar bag rig. The sound supervisor will do (or oversee) all the frequency coordination, probably had a hand in selecting the gear (or goes to production if something isn't working). In that case they also told us how this specific show had been wiring people (for consistency), and what kind of mixing etc.

Yes, I am used to hearing it in reality TV. Sometimes the only mixer on location will get the title. For example, I worked on a traveling show that had 2 traveling sound people, then hired a few locals to fill out the crew. The sound supervisor is (often) an actual mixer with a similar bag rig. The sound supervisor will do (or oversee) all the frequency coordination, probably had a hand in selecting the gear (or goes to production if something isn't working). In that case they also told us how this specific show had been wiring people (for consistency), and what kind of mixing etc.

Cool, thanks.

Yep , for my super cmit I'm monitoring either it's card track or, as it's the boom and it's output on it's own on the first channel of the output mix, I monitor output 1. I've got two QRX's but only use their analog outputs at the moment. It is nice to have all the setup page functions for them, phase and filter controls etc, I wouldn't want to loose those at all.

Zaxcom = very good company who stand behind their products. I'm very happy about that!

Still trying to figure out different settings for limiting since I'm used to having only an input limiter. But so far so good! I'll be looking through this for tips and tricks for sure!

Just got my nomad for car work etc... So I can leave the Deva on the cart. I love this little machine!,

Sold my 744t that I had on the truck for backup.

Not knocking SD I love their products but the Nomad is very intuitively laid out. Maybe because I'm a Deva user?

Anyway what a great addition!

Yay Zaxcom!

Sounds like the symptoms of an older version of software. Upgrade to 3.07 and you should be fine.

Where can it be found?

I'm helping my boom op to set up his Nomad and I see the Deva Yahoo group only contain old files and on the Zaxcom site there is only version 3.06.

Please help!

Thank you