Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

i would like to check the files in the nomad, is it possible?

how do i re-mirror the files?

I'm in a shooting with no time to check it in a computer.

thanks jack

You can check the primary files in Nomad by just playing back within the machine - and like Jeff mentioned if your primary files are fine you mirror files should be fine as well since the mirror files are recorded from the primary files.

To re-mirror you need to put in a mirror card into nomad and format the card, Go into the mirror CF menu and select the appropriate folder that you want to mirror - please note the primary card must be the same folder. Select the start and end segments that you want to mirror. And then turn mirror on.

That is all there is.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I use 64GB CF cards in the Nomad?

Specifially I was thinking of the Transcend 64GB 400x UDMA Compact Flash model TS64GCF400. Has anyone here tried these?

http://www.bhphotovi..._400x_64GB.html

Tom

My bet is, yes, it would work fine. I've been using that specific card as the primary drive in my Deva V for a good while now with no issues.

As long as you are running software over version 3.01 - there should be no limitations on cards. Pretty much any card should work. Though if you want to save money Nomad is just as happy using 133X cards. A 400 speed card or even faster card had no effect on the way Nomad records. The only advantage of running a faster card is it will download a bit faster.

Hi Jack/Glen,

Is it now, therefore, safe to put all the upgradeable software files, except the bootable emergency file on one compact flash card, such that none of those files, excepting the target specific file can be uploaded to a given Zaxcom hardware piece? Seems as though there currently is a required file extension match, for upload to be true, as in countless, upload procedures across all sorts of devices. The instructions provided, do indicate reformatting and erasing files, for each software update, however, AFAIK. There was a reference to a file size/card size limitation. Seems prudent to have all the current updates on one source card, if safe.

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi Jack/Glen,

Is it now, therefore, safe to put all the upgradeable software files, except the bootable emergency file on one compact flash card, such that none of those files, excepting the target specific file can be uploaded to a given Zaxcom hardware piece? Seems as though there currently is a required file extension match, for upload to be true, as in countless, upload procedures across all sorts of devices. The instructions provided, do indicate reformatting and erasing files, for each software update, however, AFAIK. There was a reference to a file size/card size limitation. Seems prudent to have all the current updates on one source card, if safe.

Thank you very much

Fury

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your question. If you are referring to updating your nomad is is a good practice to load the latest file on a formatted cf card with no other files on it then update.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your question. If you are referring to updating your nomad is is a good practice to load the latest file on a formatted cf card with no other files on it then update.

Hi Jack,

Instead of erasing and reformatting the mirror card before updating each device/reflashing in a last ditch, on site, emergency, which will, of course, never happen, and not wanting to have a card for each Zaxcom device-Nomad, ERX, etc., can we now, with impunity, put the updates for all devices on the same card, with the target device selecting the appropriate file? We all know size matters- "a lot," and now with the larger size card OK'd for the mirror drive, a small step for at least, one Zaxcom interested party maybe is possible.

Thank you very much

Fury

"...and not wanting to have a card for each Zaxcom device-Nomad, ERX, etc., can we now, with impunity, put the updates for all devices on the same card, with the target device selecting the appropriate file?"

As Jack points out, it would not be possible to have just one CF card with all updates for all Zaxcom devices (since some of those devices have to have the software updates on different media). I will add that updates to the Deva, for example, if you have an older model that has only an optical drive, you may have to put software updates on an optical disc (CD, DVD, DVD-RAM) to update that device. The general practice is to have all updates residing in one folder on your laptop and then transfer the appropriate update files to the proper media to perform the update.

Thanks guys regarding the 64gb cards.

On Tuesday I plan on ordering an 8ch Nomad and shortly there after selling my SD552. Once the 552 sells, I'll probably buy a second Nomad.

So I will probably often use my Nomad to feed "primary" audio to camera. I already have a ton of Hirose 10 pin cables and want to continue to use them. Obviously I will need to get some sort of Hirose to "tails" to adapt to the Nomad. I'm thinking of getting 2 TA5F (one for 2 channel send and one for the stereo return) wired to a 10p Hirose female. I think I will perfer this, thay way I can keep all my "standard" XLR's available for other uses.

What do you think? Is this senseable? And what are others doing?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks guys regarding the 64gb cards.

On Tuesday I plan on ordering an 8ch Nomad and shortly there after selling my SD552. Once the 552 sells, I'll probably buy a second Nomad.

So I will probably often use my Nomad to feed "primary" audio to camera. I already have a ton of Hirose 10 pin cables and want to continue to use them. Obviously I will need to get some sort of Hirose to "tails" to adapt to the Nomad. I'm thinking of getting 2 TA5F (one for 2 channel send and one for the stereo return) wired to a 10p Hirose female. I think I will perfer this, thay way I can keep all my "standard" XLR's available for other uses.

What do you think? Is this senseable? And what are others doing?

Thanks,

Tom

Makes sense! Somebody else said they went the 2xTA5 route too. Would you have two tails made? Maybe one with 2 TA5, and another using full sized XLR for the Nomad output (in case you ever want to use it with a mixer like a 302).

I've been using a cable I had for my 302 (full sized XLR outs) and made up a minijack-TA5 adapter for the return. Part of me feels a little more secure with XLR jacks than with TA5s. I had a TA3 once break on a Red camera and have been a little weary of the robustness of the TA ever since. That said, I LOVE the TA5-TA5 cable I use to connect my Nomad to my STA150.

Regarding the Hirose cables, thanks guys for the thoughts and suggestions.

The more I consider it, I think I will get one cable that uses two female XLR's with one TA5F for the return. The reason being... the TA5F cables are likely to be "thin" and fragile. Using full size cables on the XLR's (which should be cut a little shorter than the TA5F cable) will provide some strain relief for TA5F. I'll probably then get a second cable for back up (or to feed a second camera) with two TA5F's for both the send and return.

Tom

Jason,

It may be an error, but the specs on B&H website say the Imedions are 1.2 volts. Have you found them to be otherwise?

Tom

All batteries have a higher voltage off the charger than they are rated. Lithium-ions labeled 14.4v come off the charger at 16.6-16.8v. The voltage drops through use until it is 'dead' (reaches its low voltage point)

Nomad AA Internal Batteries

======================

So what are you guys using for the internal batteries?

It seems to me that it certainly is not a cost efficient option to use disposable lithiums. Are there some decent cost efficient rechargeable options?

Tom

I'm using Powerex AA rechargeables, but that's what I have a bunch of for my kit. I only rely on the internals to keep the Nomad going while I swap out the external battery, or to create a folder for the next day and the external batteries are on charge. I never ran them to test run time, or rely on them, so I only charge them every two or three weeks.

• 1 month later...

Software version 4.0 will be available soon. 4.0 will have a lot of new features including USB support. There are also quite a few other new items that 4.0 will have. And by the way most of these items have been added because of user feedback.

Here are some of the Hi-lights:

• A major changes to the new ENG screen which will now allow you to pan and mix all 10 channels right from the ENG meter screen. So now you don’t have to go to the virtual fader screen to mix inputs 7-10 it can now all be done from the one screen
  • Virtual Fader Cycle - allows you to choose which inputs will be cycled through when mixing inputs 7-10 on the new ENG home screen so you don’t have to cycle through un-used inputs
  • Prevent Punch In – if this is enabled and if you hit the record key while recording a take it prevents Nomad from creating a new file
  • Also added if you don’t have prevent punch in enabled and you do hit the record key to create a new file you will now get an audible beep in your headphone making you aware that a new file has been created.
  • Variable peak hold feature allows you to adjust the peak hold indicator from (400 to 8000 ms in 200 ms increments)
  • A user setting that will allow the mirror folder to automatically change follow the primary folder after you change the primary record folder selection.
  • Change in the appearance of which tracks are record enable
  • All limiter ratios are now adjustable up to 20:1 as opposed to 4:1
  • Notch frequency increments are now in variable stepped settings
  • A change was made that to delete a false start you now have to it the slate button to prevent accidental deletion
  • Added the option of adding scene and take numbers to the file names
  • PFL of AES inputs has been added

post-1067-0-39949700-1350187725_thumb.jp

post-1067-0-48895100-1350187743_thumb.jp

post-1067-0-96579900-1350187757_thumb.jp

post-1067-0-71392000-1350187769_thumb.jp

post-1067-0-37134900-1350187786_thumb.jp