Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

The new tone matrix is a good thing but i still don't get why there is a limitation on the input matrix ( no Return inputs in the 1-4 card page).

Will we be able to slate track 7 & 8 now too?

in my opinion the location of the tone track in a multi channel file is not that important.

Slate on 7-8 as well.

unless you are breaking the multi channel file in to mono files it does not make sense for howy to waist time on something so trivial.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

in my opinion the location of the tone track in a multi channel file is not that important.

Slate on 7-8 as well.

unless you are breaking the multi channel file in to mono files it does not make sense for howy to waist time on something so trivial.

i would agree, but when using on external mixer not being able to route my mix tracks going on the return inputs to tracks 1 & 2 is a big deal...as i said before because of this i use 7 & 8 as mix track, but editors find my mix tracks jumping up and down their time line if i use different tracks counts, some are comprehensive and accept it , some would find that very anoying and i would agree..only solution is to rotate tracks myself and the end of the day...;pff...or always record 8 tracks and wasting a very lot of disk space and time copying it..

I

i would agree, but when using on external mixer not being able to route my mix tracks going on the return inputs to tracks 1 & 2 is a big deal...as i said before because of this i use 7 & 8 as mix track, but editors find my mix tracks jumping up and down their time line if i use different tracks counts, some are comprehensive and accept it , some would find that very anoying and i would agree..only solution is to rotate tracks myself and the end of the day...;pff...or always record 8 tracks and wasting a very lot of disk space and time copying it..

make sense. sorry I am a bag on a cart mixer. did not think of that.

I know this question has been asked before, but that was over a year ago by yours truly. Now after some time of use, is there any Nomad user that can say how well the Nomad performs in cold weather? I'm talking sub zero temperatures. We get -20 C easily over here...

Last answer I got was that, hypothetically, it would work since there are no moving parts. Would like some user input if possible. Cheers!

Definitely not -20C, but I took my Fusion (not Nomad, but still) in some cold and it didn't blink. It was cold enough that the Red we were shooting on froze up and had to be revived with a propane heater. We even tried it with an AC adapter and a geni, and nothing till we warmed it up for a good 30 minutes.

I

Although not currently an issue for me, i have many times run into the situation where i wished to use inputs 7-10 on my mix track (track 1).

I would also like to be able to assign the faders to inputs 7-10.

On a side note, i find it annoying that if i have an input routed to a track or output,but not assigned to a fader, it defaults to on. I wish i could set virtual faders for inputs that i don't have routed to hw faders. This becomes more important as i use a mix of aes and physical inputs. Maybe i'm trying to do too much with 6 faders.

Wandering Ear

I have to agree with Wandering Ear here regarding assigning faders while using AES inputs. If I use 6 AES sources and assign them to the six physical faders, there is no way to control the volume of analog signals from the XLR inputs. If I happened to input 8 AES sources the last two would have no volume control either.

Per the manual on page 28: NOTE: The virtual faders are fixed and can not be reassigned to other channels.

On a side note, I just noticed the manual calls Returns 1-4 by two other names - tape return 3/4 and inputs 7-10. It would be nice if they were consistently named.

Mark O.

after working a multi camera reality all week I have a suggestion for a hardware controller or tablet software "I am dreaming" for quick enabling/disabling of input channels in outputs. When different cameras are shooting different action it is doable but kind of hard to switch input channels going in to outputs. I just wish I could have a tablet with all outputs matrix on the touch screen so I can disable talent inputs when there are not in the picture...

This is where I would step to the production manager and inform them that they are undermanned for the job at hand. Bring in a second mixer, don't spread yourself thin.

Great to hear about the card routing matrix changes coming - looking forward to that. The more flexible the better. Being able to record I/Ps 7&8 on Trks 1&2 would be good and makes complete sense for Post. It would also be great to record the O/Ps without having to hardwire them to inputs, and have those assignable to Trks 1&2. It's been brought up before I know.

This is where I would step to the production manager and inform them that they are undermanned for the job at hand. Bring in a second mixer, don't spread yourself thin.

We were 4 people. I was not short on people I was short on technology. I used RME Fireface 800 with Mackie Universal Controller. But ideally I would like to have something small to go with the Nomad.

RMEFirefaceScreen_l.jpg

Great to hear about the card routing matrix changes coming - looking forward to that. The more flexible the better. Being able to record I/Ps 7&8 on Trks 1&2 would be good and makes complete sense for Post. It would also be great to record the O/Ps without having to hardwire them to inputs, and have those assignable to Trks 1&2. It's been brought up before I know.

+1

Darn it! I wish the Nomad had a warning sound or screen when you have signal on a track yet your Record Enable isn't set to grab it. Due to my own mistake I didn't have a track checked off to be recorded and didn't realize this till after a few takes were spent. Luckily the TRX900's were recording audio at the time so all is not lost.

Darn it! I wish the Nomad had a warning sound or screen when you have signal on a track yet your Record Enable isn't set to grab it. Due to my own mistake I didn't have a track checked off to be recorded and didn't realize this till after a few takes were spent. Luckily the TRX900's were recording audio at the time so all is not lost.

While it won't have a warning sound 4.0 does have a better visual indicator as to which tracks are armed on the card meter screen.

Good idea. I think going forward I'm going to have to make a little laminated checklist that I would refer to before I roll.

Or you can check the record enable menu page quickly. I leave all the mirror tracks checked in the matrix so I only have to change the primary card enables if I want to add or subtract a track.

Good idea. I think going forward I'm going to have to make a little laminated checklist that I would refer to before I roll.

I know exactly what you're saying, but if we had O/P meters on the same screen the as the Card Tracks these "mistakes" would never happen! You would never have to change screens when you're rolling. Of course you need to check inputs and and outputs to check everything is set properly, but once you're rolling I don't see why anyone would want to see anything else apart from o/p mix and and tracks that are recording. I really think this is essential for Nomad, and hope it is introduced very soon. I don't want to get a laminated check list!

I know exactly what you're saying, but if we had O/P meters on the same screen the as the Card Tracks these "mistakes" would never happen! You would never have to change screens when you're rolling. Of course you need to check inputs and and outputs to check everything is set properly, but once you're rolling I don't see why anyone would want to see anything else apart from o/p mix and and tracks that are recording. I really think this is essential for Nomad, and hope it is introduced very soon. I don't want to get a laminated check list!

I would love to have this screen too!

Hardly ever have to change screens and could always see what is record enabled.