Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

along with automix?

I still wish there was a way to monitor the gain setting on my TRX's from my Nomad or QRX100. I was listening to one of my TRX tracks and noticed it was a bit hot compared to my Nomad tracks.

I think it was established to be impossible. If you use zax gain and AES it should be pretty close. What I don't like in this case is the channel knob becomes gain instead of autogain menu button.

I still wish there was a way to monitor the gain setting on my TRX's from my Nomad or QRX100.

I've been able to monitor Trx gain from my Qrx 100. Not at my kit at the moment but if I remember correctly I set IFB to on. In the pacifier page cycle through the screens and you'll come to gain page and you can jump between Trxs by pressing A/B.

I'm sure Jack or someone more familiar will jump in and verify correct set up. I can double check when I get home and repost.

Regards

Trev

I still wish there was a way to monitor the gain setting on my TRX's from my Nomad or QRX100. I was listening to one of my TRX tracks and noticed it was a bit hot compared to my Nomad tracks.

I think the closest you can get is to assign one of the Nomad's faders to the TRX gain. Since the Nomad knobs have finite range they essentially show you the level of the transmitter. You should be able to figure out what the gain is at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.

Mark O.

Definitely not -20C, but I took my Fusion (not Nomad, but still) in some cold and it didn't blink. It was cold enough that the Red we were shooting on froze up and had to be revived with a propane heater. We even tried it with an AC adapter and a geni, and nothing till we warmed it up for a good 30 minutes.

I haven't tried the Nomad either, but my DevaV has been working without any problems in -38C for three days straight, with the internal hd and an NP1 lasting between 5-6 hours, even the display worked good.

I think the closest you can get is to assign one of the Nomad's faders to the TRX gain. Since the Nomad knobs have finite range they essentially show you the level of the transmitter. You should be able to figure out what the gain is at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.

Mark O.

hmm, now that's something to think about. thanks

I haven't tried the Nomad either, but my DevaV has been working without any problems in -38C for three days straight, with the internal hd and an NP1 lasting between 5-6 hours, even the display worked good.

The touchscreen display at that. I was worried I would lose the ability to enter metadata, but it worked 100%.

I can only guess it was the image sensor on the Red camera that crapped out. I was only in PA, and while it was cold, it wasn't like I was retracing Shackleton's journey in Antarctica.

Regarding monitoring TRX gain from Qrx

From Qrx notes firmware 2.11

"added support for displaying TRX's current gain setting in the TX GAIN remote screen

(requires TRX-770 or higher)"

I stated in a previous post that I thought it was 'IFB on', I was incorrect on this, it is 'TX GAIN' on. It's then possible to monitor TRX gain from Qrx screen, if gain is adjusted on TRX or Nomad it changes on Qrx screen.

Regarding adjusting gain via Nomad fader; 12 o'clock equates to 27dB, 3o'clock to 44dB(approximately)

Trevor McKenna

It would have been way cool if Howy made the screen mod go to eleven.

For when you need that extra push over the cliff.

They probably debated it and it probably went like this:

Glenn Sanders: Oh, I see. And most screens go up to ten?

Howy: Exactly.

Glenn Sanders: Does that mean it’s brighter? Is it any brighter?

Howy: Well, it’s one brighter, isn’t it? It’s not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be mixing at ten. You’re on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you’re on ten on your screen. Where can you go from there? Where?

Glenn Sanders: I don’t know.

Howy: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Glenn Sanders: Put it up to eleven.

Howy: Eleven. Exactly. One brighter.

Glenn Sanders: Why don’t you just make ten brighter and make ten be the top number and make that a little brighter?

Howy: [pause, chewing gum] These go to eleven.

Quoting myself (weird)

Howy! Glenn! Did my late night ramblings influence the screen mod brightness now going to eleven? I'm cracking up! Please pm me or confirm my that my joking around may have influenced this 4.0 revision so I can earnestly tell the tale to colleagues without a doubt of my possible telling a tall tale. TOO FUNNY! Nomad goes to eleven! There's a new t-shirt!

Regarding monitoring TRX gain from Qrx

From Qrx notes firmware 2.11

"added support for displaying TRX's current gain setting in the TX GAIN remote screen

(requires TRX-770 or higher)"

I stated in a previous post that I thought it was 'IFB on', I was incorrect on this, it is 'TX GAIN' on. It's then possible to monitor TRX gain from Qrx screen, if gain is adjusted on TRX or Nomad it changes on Qrx screen.

Regarding adjusting gain via Nomad fader; 12 o'clock equates to 27dB, 3o'clock to 44dB(approximately)

Trevor McKenna

That's interesting. I wasn't able to find the tx gain screen earlier, I'll check tomorrow and see if I have the option turned off. Honestly I still set the gains by the meters, so associating a number to it doesn't mean much to me, but still interesting.

Wandering Ear

Quoting myself (weird)

Howy! Glenn! Did my late night ramblings influence the screen mod brightness now going to eleven? I'm cracking up! Please pm me or confirm my that my joking around may have influenced this 4.0 revision so I can earnestly tell the tale to colleagues without a doubt of my possible telling a tall tale. TOO FUNNY! Nomad goes to eleven! There's a new t-shirt!

I thought if it went to 11 it would be an easy way to know that the software was the new revision. And yes, I thought it was funny. I asked Howy to put it in. Thanks for the suggestion.

Glenn

Everyone's a comedian...

Btw anxious for automix, which is supposed to be in Beta now. Is that only available for select Beta testers? if so, is there a wider release, before officially released?

Thank you very much

Fury

In beta means it's for beta testers only and not publically released. Otherwise it wouldn't be beta.

Wandering Ear

In beta means it's for beta testers only and not publically released. Otherwise it wouldn't be beta.

Wandering Ear

Ho Wanda,

Are U responding for Zaxcom? Hmmm...Certainly there have been many companies that have allowed end users to download, what they have referred to as, "Beta" software, prior to an official release. Some allow official releases of software that should have been restricted to select beta testers...or never released. These scenarios have played out many times, since the last millennium. Fury notes that it is short sighted to indicate, however, that, as generically axiomatic, a public availability of software, would preclude Beta status.

That pretty much covers it, from alpha to...

Efharisto very much

Fury