Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The menu and headphone knob do get quieter over time, though I can sometimes still hear mine in some quiet interview situations. You also get to know how to push the buttons in a quieter fashion. If you hold the knobs by the sides near the bottom as you push them down the audible click will be greatly reduced. As with everything in sound gentle hands is the key... hey we're not grips.

When I got my 442 back in the day the slight click of the headphone dial bothered me at first. It went away over time. You learn to work with it's kirks. That machine served me and my clients well for many years as I know my nomad will.

What audio recorder do you work with that does 50p? I'm guessing you're on pal, so you could do 25fps, but really your TC rate should be run past your post department.

That is the problem: My nomad doesn't do 50p. Since I am the post department myself, I am looking for a way to get the footage synched up. Not so easy and very time consuming. That is why I am calling for 50p on the Nomad.

That is the problem: My nomad doesn't do 50p. Since I am the post department myself, I am looking for a way to get the footage synched up. Not so easy and very time consuming. That is why I am calling for 50p on the Nomad.

No recorder anywhere does 50p. No recorder does 48p either, but, you know, it worked for The Hobbit. They ran 24 (or 23.976) timecode. You should run 25. It'll work.

No recorder anywhere does 50p. No recorder does 48p either, but, you know, it worked for The Hobbit. They ran 24 (or 23.976) timecode. You should run 25. It'll work.

Isn't there something else? The 48.048khz available in the Nomad? Something about the pulldown that comes later? He may have to pay attention to that. I can't recall how it works right now. 

My setup is a Nomad that sends the timecode via IFB to a ERX1TC and from there to the audio track of the video. This to synch the video and the audio via tc. That means, I record 50p video with a 25p timecode. Wrong? Maybe I am not a super techie, but I think that doesn't really match.

My setup is a Nomad that sends the timecode via IFB to a ERX1TC and from there to the audio track of the video. This to synch the video and the audio via tc. That means, I record 50p video with a 25p timecode. Wrong? Maybe I am not a super techie, but I think that doesn't really match.

Listen to Senator Mike!  He's been succinct, but accurate, in this thread.  There is no such animal as 25P time code.  SMPTE time code is a set of standards established by the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers ( https://www.smpte.org/ ) and does not include as part of its specifications whether a frame is Progressive or Interlaced.  "P" refers to how a VIDEO frame is captured and has NOTHING to do with time code. 

Yes, there is a tremendous amount of confusion these days (with post, with shooters, and even, unfortunately, with sound mixers) as to the difference between "time base" "frame rate" and "time code."  They are three different things.  Also, with frame rates there's "Interlaced" (which actually refers to the fields that make up a frame), "Progressive," and "PsF" (Progressive segmented Frame), etc. People who don't begin to understand these technologies, and their relationships to each other, are now trying to wrap their brains around HFR.

Then there are people here throwing a misunderstanding of "Sampling Rate" into the mix.  YIKES!  This comes from the all-too-common confusion with "pull-up" and "pull-down" (where you might, or might not, be introducing a 100.1% sampling rate alternative) which refers strictly to an actual speed change. 

Unfortunately, too many folks who only know enough to try to sound like they're knowledgeable, toss these terms around with careless abandon and add to the chaos.  No wonder so many people are confused.

Just remember that 74% of what you read on the internet is wrong.  Does that include what I just wrote here?  Only if you educate yourself and spend a few years working in this industry will you be able to properly answer these questions and begin to have full competence in such matters.  The illusion that one can buy a particular piece of equipment, ask a few simple questions, and magically become a competent professional is an illusion perpetrated by a new generation of entitlement.  Be warned, it's a seductive illusion!

" Maybe I am not a super techie, but I think that doesn't really match. "

we think you really need to do some research (reading)...

start with the terms you are throwing around.

it isn't "Plug'nPlay"

and, as Sawrab is about to say: workflow tests

Edited by studiomprd

Nevermind everything that everybody's said. You should ASK POST. Only way to know for sure. I've done post for some films as well. It can be a nightmare for us at that point. But if you think audio's confusing...video is a real mess.

You and Post should really do tests with the video and sound to make sure it all works. We're always testing production stuff, whether cameras and microphones are working days before using them, but not workflows?

Just started using a Nomad 10 for a trial period of a couple of days, and absolutely love it, love the sound, like the limiters and pre-amps, has a slightly steeper learning curve than the 788, but once u get it up and running... It's a wonderful piece of equipment with an excellent sound! But, missing a few things, especially in the homescreen. Is there a way to change that? Would love to see a trackname/count and a a-time, i'm only seeing the timecode, HP preset, battery, rec time left on i assume the mirrorcard, and a line that says "mounted volume" I couldn't find a way to change that... Somebody?

Just started using a Nomad 10 for a trial period of a couple of days, and absolutely love it, love the sound, like the limiters and pre-amps, has a slightly steeper learning curve than the 788, but once u get it up and running... It's a wonderful piece of equipment with an excellent sound! But, missing a few things, especially in the homescreen. Is there a way to change that? Would love to see a trackname/count and a a-time, i'm only seeing the timecode, HP preset, battery, rec time left on i assume the mirrorcard, and a line that says "mounted volume" I couldn't find a way to change that... Somebody?

Your suggestions have been made before by others but so far have not really made it into new software. Email them to Zaxcom, the more people who ask for those things the better.

There is something like a track name when you go to the card tracks page. But maybe that's not what you mean. You can go and name them all if you want, but then if you have a Lite it takes forever since there's no keyboard support. 

I didn't think it had a steeper curve than the 788. Took me forever to read the 788's manual :P   And I still got the last 2/4-tracks (?) unarmed thing wrong. That one time.... One, unforgettable time. 

Unless they don't have a clue either. ;)

Yeah that's kinda why I added the second paragraph, heh. HFR is pretty new stuff after all. 

Would love to see a trackname/count and a a-time, i'm only seeing the timecode, HP preset, battery, rec time left on i assume the mirrorcard, and a line that says "mounted volume"I couldn't find a way to change that... Somebody?

Zaxcom will be adding a info page that you can toggle to that will include all that plus a whole lot more.

I have a question about inputs 7- 10. (Ret 1/2 & 3/4)

I understand that pressing "SETUP" and then "COM" or "SLT" will  get you to where you can change the gain on tracks 7-10.

One of my home screen selections shows me input 7 - 10 with what appears to be a green fader slider over them.

Pressing in the menu button toggles me between these green sliders, but when I move these faders there is no change in audio input?

How can I 'enable' these green sliders to change input gain ?

Thanks in advance...

First, there are a bunch of home screen options. Are you on the newest firmware? there was some fairly recent updates to the screen options (with more coming it seems). 

There are some good threads on the Zaxcom.com forum with users discussion the home screens, and what they would like to see as options.