Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a testimonial: upgraded my Nomad 8 to a 12 recently, and today I recorded 10 tracks (5 hard wired condensers and 5 wireless, no mix). About an hour of continuous recording, mirrored to the producer's USB stick, and everything worked perfectly. So much potential on this machine!

good times - just curious what version firmware are you using?

Just a testimonial: upgraded my Nomad 8 to a 12 recently, and today I recorded 10 tracks (5 hard wired condensers and 5 wireless, no mix). About an hour of continuous recording, mirrored to the producer's USB stick, and everything worked perfectly. So much potential on this machine!

It s good to hear those stories! It s time for me to switch to usbstick.

I'm curious - how much did your upgrade cost? I finally am able to turn my 8 into a 12 and now Zaxcom quoted me almost double what the price was only a few months ago.

Is 5.16 considered more stable than 4.45? What differences would one notice on a nomad10 if one were to "upgrade" from 4.45 to 5.16?

Never noticed any issues with 4.45. If it ain't broke don't upgrade?

I've been using 4.45 and it has been totally stable for me too, not quite sure on 5.16 yet for the same reasons.

Is 5.16 considered more stable than 4.45? What differences would one notice on a nomad10 if one were to "upgrade" from 4.45 to 5.16?

Never noticed any issues with 4.45. If it ain't broke don't upgrade?

Between 4.45 and 5.16 is primarly MP3/USB support. Fixes to minor bugs, If you are good with 4.45 -  like you said if at ain't broke...

Between 4.45 and 5.16 is primarly MP3/USB support. Fixes to minor bugs, If you are good with 4.45 - like you said if at ain't broke...

I believe 4.45 has USB support for mirroring, just no mp3.

Once again Jack, I think you have the best working Nomad.

I have had mine for a year and a half now and I would say that multi knob is way too loud still. I hear the damn thing in recordings all the time. And yes I do the lean to side thing. I really wish I could fly around the menus while rolling to double (triple) check settings and enter Meta Data. I was recently comparing mine to a mate's, and his was loud as well. Instead I sit starring at the Nomad in terror that it will lock up or the blue ball destroy the take.

I sure wish there was a Bright Screen Mod type thing for that button.

I've had my nomad for about a year and a half. Though I believe the pots were quiet after a couple of months. And its not like it would be noisy one day and quiet the next. It is something that gets slightly quieter every day till one day you don't notice it.