Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

Once again Jack, I think you have the best working Nomad.

I have had mine for a year and a half now and I would say that multi knob is way too loud still. I hear the damn thing in recordings all the time. And yes I do the lean to side thing. I really wish I could fly around the menus while rolling to double (triple) check settings and enter Meta Data. I was recently comparing mine to a mate's, and his was loud as well. Instead I sit starring at the Nomad in terror that it will lock up or the blue ball destroy the take.

I sure wish there was a Bright Screen Mod type thing for that button.

There is. Stick a small piece of moleskin or soft tape underneath a bit of the area on which the knob sits.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, 

How does the HP2 out work on the Nomad? The HP2 output on the side I mean, along with the other outputs. I thought it was supposed to give out the HP2 headphone selection, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Don't seem to be getting sound out of it.

I have a Lite 5.11. 

Ummm no. It's under the bus routing menu. You also need to read the manual on headphone monitoring. That's a whole 'nother topic.

Wait is there a "manual for headphone monitoring"? Oh wait do you mean a thread/topic in this forum? 

EDIT: The manual's kind of brief on things it mentioned about HP2. I didn't read as closely the part on bus routing (I usually just record ISOs) but will look at it now. 

Edited by srab1138

(Sheepishly) Okay I see my mistake now. Whenever I saw Headphone 2 (HP2) in the manual, I went from the contents/index. Didn't realize it was a sub-category in the bus routing menu. That makes...a lot more sense than what I thought it was above. 

Thanks. 

I guess I need some picks. 30 minutes with an Xacto and moleskin has not made any impact on the sound and put some tape gunk where I don't want it. It seems like the click is inside the button knob thing, and not from the button knob thing striking the faceplate.

There is. Stick a small piece of moleskin or soft tape underneath a bit of the area on which the knob sits.

Hi,

Bit of a question from a non-industry person. As part of my work I make nature recordings, (as well as foley, instruments etc., basically anything where interesting sound might be recorded). 

I was well on my way to purchasing a Nomad (I need minimum 3 channels for MSM), but then noticed (or it might be my limited understanding!) that it has only 30db of gain.

Which is a bit of a concern? Obviously i'm looking for very quiet preamps (and of course putting this up against sound devices and the new Maxx, which based on recent comments on that thread has possibly better preamps? is that right Jack? ). I guess i'm trying to find out, is 30 enough for the purposes i've described?

I'm aware this is a pretty vague question, but wondered if anyone could speak to it a little.

Best,

Pretzel

The limiting factor of the MAXX or the Nomad preamp will be the self noise of the microphone not the dynamic range of the pre-amp. 

The two products have the same preamp design. The MAXX circuit board layout gives it a slight edge over Nomad. Only noticeable with test equipment.

Glenn 

Newer Nomad software give you then option of adding 10dB of digital gain to the inputs.

Yeah it's in "Input Levels" in I think...the ENG Setup menu. "Extra Input Gain". 

Just checked. Can't even see it in the manual January 2013 revision. But it is there tho.

The limiting factor of the MAXX or the Nomad preamp will be the self noise of the microphone not the dynamic range of the pre-amp. 

The two products have the same preamp design. The MAXX circuit board layout gives it a slight edge over Nomad. Only noticeable with test equipment.

Glenn

Do you think it could take ribbons recording quiet VO? Anybody tried out ribbons on the Nomad? 

" as well as foley, "

it is Foley, as it is a person's name...

and I doubt you are recording Foley, as that is sound effects performed in sync while watching the picture.

But of course, thanks for the correction.

As I said though, I get up to all sorts.  8)

Main concern is the 30db limit. On an MKH800 twin i'm often sitting at around +20-30db on a metric halo (called trim on the MIO Console). Hopefully i'm misunderstanding some terminology... happy to be shown the light.

Thanks for the replies thus far, I appreciate it. Somewhat a fish out of water on this forum (as I indicated already!) but seemed like the place to ask.

Yeah it's in "Input Levels" in I think...the ENG Setup menu. "Extra Input Gain".

Just checked. Can't even see it in the manual January 2013 revision. But it is there tho.

That's because that was implemented recently - though it is in the new manual which should be online this week.