Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not Derek and I am not trying to argue I'm just curious. I like this workflow...if it works, but my brain has a problem trusting it. From timecode primer book, "...the sync word (genlock) accurately identifies the end of frame and shows a time code reader where to begin the next frame." So even if the ERX is continually jammed it doesn't fix that if a shooter is constantly shooting that after an hour or even less accurate sync will be lost. I would figure in reality that sync is very important since there are no adr or second take options. I'm interested in a assistant editor who puts these things together of an opinion. I wonder if any even reference TC at all...

I have not Derek and I am not trying to argue I'm just curious. I like this workflow...if it works, but my brain has a problem trusting it. From timecode primer book, "...the sync word (genlock) accurately identifies the end of frame and shows a time code reader where to begin the next frame."So even if the ERX is continually jammed it doesn't fix that if a shooter is constantly shooting that after an hour or even less accurate sync will be lost. I would figure in reality that sync is very important since there are no adr or second take options. I'm interested in a assistant editor who puts these things together of an opinion. I wonder if any even reference TC at all...
I'm no TC expert, but if sync was a problem with non genlock boxes, I think we'd all know it by now. I've done multiple shoots with 5 or 6 ISO tracks running and a left/right mix and never had a word of problems from post. I've also sat on set with DIT on a very large scale commercial and watched him sync my audio with picture in seconds. I think maybe you are looking for problems here...

If we're talking about maintaining sync on a single camera shoot, problems with sync without genlock would depend upon two primary factors:  The length of the shot and the stability of the camera's crystal. 

I believe Tim is simply addressing the possibility that a camera could drift enough over a one hour (or longer) period to cause sync issues.  The camera grabs the time code when it goes into record, so it would be in sync at the head of the shot, but if its speed is not locked to a genlock reference, and the camera drifts enough during the hour, then audio sync problems could occur.

I'm no TC expert, but if sync was a problem with non genlock boxes, I think we'd all know it by now. I've done multiple shoots with 5 or 6 ISO tracks running and a left/right mix and never had a word of problems from post. I've also sat on set with DIT on a very large scale commercial and watched him sync my audio with picture in seconds. I think maybe you are looking for problems here...

In your case, were your shots of an hour, or longer, duration?  That, I believe, is what was being addressed -- the possibility of a camera drifting over a substantial amount of time.

But, no, I'm not aware of having encountered issues, either.  However, the size of the production doesn't prove the point.  Most national commercials I work on seldom have takes longer than a few minutes.

The camera grabs the time code when it goes into record, so it would be in sync at the head of the shot, but if its speed is not locked to a genlock reference, and the camera drifts enough during the hour, then audio sync problems could occur.

Copy that. Thanks for putting the whole TC/Genlock complex into one comprehensive sentence John. Saved me a lot of reading.

For hour-long shots, I can understand your concern about not having genlock. I think there are generally less of those kind of shoots, and even among them the sync may not be such an issue.

If you have multiple cameras rolling for an hour, perhaps in a live situation, I would consider genlock a necessity. If you are doing a low budget cooking show that rolls for an hour, post could deal with drift if they didn't want to pay for genlock.

Besides, genlock is only useful if the camera supports it. For DSLR shoots, firstly they can't roll for that long, secondly they don't have genlock capabilities.

Mark O.

In your case, were your shots of an hour, or longer, duration? That, I believe, is what was being addressed -- the possibility of a camera drifting over a substantial amount of time. But, no, I'm not aware of having encountered issues, either. However, the size of the production doesn't prove the point. Most national commercials I work on seldom have takes longer than a few minutes.
I couldn't tell you John. Certainly done quite a few long sit down interviews with them and not encountered anything that's bothered post, but in those situations one can usually cable up. I also suspect that on those occasions the takes were very long, but probably not an hour. I certainly wouldn't object if Zaxcom wished to add Genlock to the features list, but as you say - they've always been perfect on everything I've done. Perhaps we should all do some tests. I still don't think they are 'inadequate' or that the audio output isn't far above what Pluraleyes requires (bearing in mind that most shooters are still using a front mic of dubious quality for this!). The commercial was indeed a bad example in this case. I merely wished to indicate that I'd seen straightforward syncing in person.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey how do you back up the primary cards? I copy the whole thing (not sure how the zfiles work...). But if there's only one file on it, and I'm copying the whole card anyway, well that's a waste.

Thoughts?

You can copy all the zfiles, but no matter how much you have recorded, you will be copying files equal in size to your cf card, which is a huge waste.

Zaxconvert is the way.

MARF is very helpful as a field acquisition format - it is very robust and has saved the day for many sound mixers. But for archiving - a .wav file is the way to go. Mainly because to archive as a .zax file you would need to transfer and save the entire contents of the card - even if a small amount of data was written to the card.

The more fast paced and demanding the work gets, the less MARF has become useful to me, more like a speed bump honestly. I like it when working on the cart, or some sort of episodic series, but not having the ability to press stop, make any last min meta data changes (without remirroring) and hand off a card when the unforeseen request from the client hits you with your pants down. Continuous is obviously the answer, but at the expense of accurate meta data efficiency.