Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can trigger the wireless mics to play back in sync and then record this on the Deva. nothing is playing on the Deva though.

Ah ok, but you can still, for example, record the wireless within an existing take, right, while keeping the boom mic? It's just not meant for dialigue replacement.

I suggested this feature for the Nomad early on as I think it could come in handy on location many times, and also for recording music (which the Nomad wasn't intended for, I know). I think there are other things that more people would like to have that are yet to be implemented so I don't see a realistic chance for an overdub function on the Nomad, as killer as that would be.

I suggested this feature for the Nomad early on as I think it could come in handy on location many times, and also for recording music (which the Nomad wasn't intended for, I know). I think there are other things that more people would like to have that are yet to be implemented so I don't see a realistic chance for an overdub function on the Nomad, as killer as that would be.

+1

(which the Nomad wasn't intended for, I know) I like this phrase, when I bought my Nomad I thought that I was buying an audio recorder.

Not intended for music... Who said that. I don't think that phrase should be attached to nomad.

Playback and record functionality I believe should be next on the list after auto mix. (Will auto mix ever be truely done?). , I'd say get this playback functionality done sooner than later. People shag on zaxcom at every opportunity they get it seems. Keep the important updates coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Insert recording while playing back is quite a complex process. It has been pointed out that the Aaton Cantar is the only portable field recorder that does this (and I have no personal experience with the Cantar and this function). Do the Sound Devices recorders do this? What about Nagra? Fostex (sorry, is anyone using Fostex anymore)?

I know in the early days of Deva it was talked about, playback and record, but I think the whole idea was abandoned early on because of the complexity.

you can trigger the wireless mics to play back in sync and then record this on the Deva. nothing is playing on the Deva though.

I wonder what happened to wireless re-record feature on the Nomad, and as Glenn says on the video "the coolest thing on the planet"

On the Zaxcom Digital Bag presentation video from February 2012

http://youtu.be/PlO137nUDjE?t=7m18s

(from min 7:10 to 9:00)

Glenn clearly explains and shows the wireless playback/re-record feature on the Nomad,

And from this screen capture you can see the Zaxnet Audition menu on the Nomad he was presenting that day.

post-238-0-83297500-1385390902_thumb.png

It's two different things "playback/recording" from the recorder and "playback (transmitters)/recording (recorder)".

I can imagine a purpose about playback/recording simultaneously from the recorder. For actors / wild tracks; performing as much as they can to the original shoot.

I am sure you can do this with Zaxcom, without to need simultaneously playback/recording from recorder, but I have confused.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Howie,

Is it possible to have a menu option so that any time I hit RECORD one beep will hit and two beeps when I hit STOP?

I think this would be a great option when feeding camera audio via an ERX. I know it's redundant since timecode is usually being fed via the ERX however I'd like to do it to be a bit nostalgic. 

Pretty sure he's asking for a beep from the ERX, or through the IFB audio signal into ERX for such audible queues to camera.

exactamundo!

I think it will be helpful for those clients still shooting with DSLR's. 

Ok Senator, this is when you say..."DSLR's are for shit productions"

and I say, "one of my biggest/highest paying clients does sports commercials for Fox with a 7D and the stock lens"

yup, you heard it right, the stock lens that comes with the camera. 

In any case, their editor loves my little beeps since the ERX isn't able to feed the camera timecode and we may not have time to use a slate, especially when Kobe says he's not repeating his line or doing another take.