Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

Need to think about it a little further though, because unless your producers that are also monitoring with an ERX from the same audio feed like to hear beeps all the time too, you'll want a second IFB path.

I use Lectro R1 units for client monitor because they are superior in range then an ERX without an amplified IFB signal. There I said it.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain in layman's terms how the input compressor and the track compressor work and relate to each other? I see you have the option of enabling the compressor but then you have settings for track compressor and input compressor (not to worried about output compressor yet). Is there anyway just to have one of them enabled? 

For what I use the nomad for I just need the track compressor and i'm also trying to understand how they relate to each other.

Thanks in advance

I think the beeps you're looking for could be done most easily by creating a "momentary" mode for the tone button.

Then you would just manually send your beeps...

I don't like the idea of the machine sending beeps to the outputs or record tracks unless I hit a specific tone button, ever.

I think the beeps you're looking for could be done most easily by creating a "momentary" mode for the tone button.

Then you would just manually send your beeps...

I don't like the idea of the machine sending beeps to the outputs or record tracks unless I hit a specific tone button, ever.

I can see uses in narrative work. When doing doc work that I won't cut for hours, I still tap record when there is a big change. Say we are driving to a location while talking to a subject, then seamlessly get out of the car and go do something. I will push record to start a new track as we get out of the car. Even if it just makes my sound reports easier for post to follow, it makes sense to me. In that case I would not want beeps on camera.

I can see that uses for his boom op knowing that you heard cut or that you are rolling. Thing with my wireless boom setup is that I use a MM1. My boom ops don't get a feed from my cart unless I push talkback. I don't know if it's unusual or not, but I rarely work with a boom up that wants to hear a feed for my cart that has lavs etc.

I wouldn't want to have to send beeps manually every time we roll or stop.

If the beeps that are currently available in the main headphones had a routing menu, that would offer complete flexibility. However, a simpler fix would be a single additional menu item that would also route them to HP2 when they're engaged.

It's certainly not high on my list, but it could be nice to be able to send them to the boom op, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Still working on jobs with punch in recordings. Right now, I need to rent other equipment than zaxcom to use as audio daw interface for a computer.

That brought me to the idea, why the nomad couldn't do the job? It has great preamps, it has a usb interface. Wouldn't it be great, if it could be hooked up to protools, logic cubase or other software as the audio interface? Then zaxcom wouldn't have to worry about programming overdubbing.

and, just because it has a USB connector (the wrong one than what would be typically used for this) doesn't mean that it is capable or ever will be capable of being used directly as an audio interface.

i disappointed you missed that one Senator.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First time using Fader Assign.

Am I missing something obvious or can I not assign a fader to return3/4?

No you can't assign return 3/4 to a hardware fader. 

There is some reason, though I forget exactly why it cant be done.

Though you should be able to assign then to a fader with the new expansion panel.

what's this about an expansion panel? 

did I miss some news?

should i be tho excited? :)

back to the fader assign:

I would love to know why rtn3/4 have been left out, just for curiosity.

And that being so, it would make sense that in vFader cycle if we could select just 9 and 10.

I have 7 and 8 (rtn1/2) on a hardware fader but still need to cycle thru those two inputs in vFader to get to 9/10.

Strange, no?